Very low Partridge

KFC

Last syndicate day today.

A single Partridge broke out of the cover and headed towards the line of guns and it was flying towards a low bright Sun.

It didn't climb at all and flew very low straight through the gun line. As it passed him the shoot Captain stuck his gun out towards it and it whacked straight into his gun barrel and dropped stone dead!

He got plenty of barracking about taking low birds.

I just put my stick out as it flew past and it flew into it, I did not for a secocond expect to get it, I don't really know what u mean about unsporting, it was flying, all be it low I did not tap it on the head whilst sitting still or something, what's the difference with it flying into a stick or gun rather than flying into your shot pattern, if any thing it takes more skill and judgement to take flying game with a stick or gun barrel than the rather larger shot pattern.

I just put my stick out as it flew past and it flew into it, I did not for a secocond expect to get it, I don't really know what u mean about unsporting, it was flying, all be it low I did not tap it on the head whilst sitting still or something, what's the difference with it flying into a stick or gun rather than flying into your shot pattern, if any thing it takes more skill and judgement to take flying game with a stick or gun barrel than the rather larger shot pattern.

Are you serious? You think it's ok then good for you, why put your stick up at all (stupid thing to do) as for more skilled than shooting a high partridge.......really!?

Jeesus every one is getting a hormonal here.

Pull your tampons out of your barrels for a second.

Lets be honest here if I could whack a bird out of the sky then I probably would but Then again I don't kill for just fun alone I eat what I kill. Please teach me what you have learned as it will save me a shed load of money!!!

Last syndicate day today.

A single Partridge broke out of the cover and headed towards the line of guns and it was flying towards a low bright Sun.

It didn't climb at all and flew very low straight through the gun line. As it passed him the shoot Captain stuck his gun out towards it and it whacked straight into his gun barrel and dropped stone dead!

He got plenty of barracking about taking low birds.

It flew into his gun barrel. Although he moved his gun towards it he did not think for moment that it would hit his gun but it did. He did not whack it out of the air.

It was, however, as dead as if he had shot it. He also got barracked for being unsporting.

I felt this was an unusual enough event to be worth a mention.

It was an accident, as in it not on purpose. I blame the partridge.

When ferreting once a rabbit bolted from a hole we had missed and ran straight into my leg killed it stone dead.

It's my thread so I'm allowed to take it off path.

I was ferreting when I was much younger. I had just necked a Rabbit in a purse net and had just bent down to replace the net over the hole. Before I could get it in place another Rabbit shot from the hole and hit me straight in the temple. It knocked me stupid and I went face down into the ditch. Luckily my buddy saw what had happened and quickly pulled me out.

That's my excuse for my stupidity.

The Rabbit escaped.

Edited by KFC

The shoot captain probably raised his gun in the hope the partridge would fly higher, I do not see why he is being criticised. In fairness he probably did a good job as there is no point in leaving low flying birds to breed and produce more low flying birds!

This is interesting, and I agree totally with you, I've been on many shoots where you are told cocks and good hens, to me shooting all the hens with the genetics that you want in a bird doesn't make sence, surely leaving good hens to produce what we would hope to be more good birds is the better way to go? Surely shooting all the rubbish on the shoot would improve it? On my shoot we shoot no hens after Xmas but I would love to try the theory out, has any1 or is there any evidence to show this theory correct?

The shoot captain probably raised his gun in the hope the partridge would fly higher, I do not see why he is being criticised. In fairness he probably did a good job as there is no point in leaving low flying birds to breed and produce more low flying birds!

I disagree. Who says it wouldn't have been a high flier on a following drive/shoot?