Rebluing? Super,blue

TheGreenknight

its fine for touch ups, a temporary job or just a rough gun.

the problem with cold blues is the wear resistance is marginal. it just doesnt stand up to heavy use.

the finish is also determined by the prep work put in beforehand.

ballistol klever is good, but is very dark (almost black) so if your looking for a nice blue colour then stick with the birchwood and casey kit.

I have picked up a side by side from a auction as a bit of a project/restoration.

You can see at one point I'm guessing when new the trigger guard was blued as was the bottom cover plate and the opening lever. I would like to reblue these.

Also the barrels still have a really good blue they may have been hot blued previously but there is a tiny amount of surface rust comin through and would like to touch it up.

I have picked up a side by side from a auction as a bit of a project/restoration.

You can see at one point I'm guessing when new the trigger guard was blued as was the bottom cover plate and the opening lever. I would like to reblue these.

Also the barrels still have a really good blue they may have been hot blued previously but there is a tiny amount of surface rust comin through and would like to touch it up.

Before you start thinking about re blue. Get some 0000 grade steel wool. Dip a small pad of steel wool into some 3 in 1 oil and try gently rubbing the rusted area, you may find that is no need to do any more. As for the furniture, try the cold blueing. At least if it goes wrong you are not having to remove metal from the barrels.

decent cold blue @ £150..most would chuck furniture in too......Only ever seen great reports for Uk gun repairs but have to send to them in Devon ish..used to see people mention Manchester Airguns as cheap but dont know quality of their work.If it is a decent/valuable gun would use decent gunsmiths.......