Advise on first shotgun

Chrish88

Evening gents. Had a few trips with a pal on the pigeons, got to admit I've got the bug. Been using his back up gun a lanber and had a few. I've already got my fac and posted my shotgun app off on Monday. Probably been asked to death but what's your guys opinion on a first shotty.probaly looking to spend around the £700-800 mark.

Will mostly be hide shooting so makes ,barrel lengths.etc. much appreciated.

Chris.

browning miroku or beretta - whatever you buy, firstly make sure it fits you properly and secondly try it out before parting with the cash

Dont know where you are located so cant recommend a decent gun shop. If you are in or around Nottingham go to Neville Guns in Alfreton, hundreds of guns and you can take one on approval or shoot on his grounds 10 minutes down the road.

The standard reply for what first gun is pretty much as above , Beretta, Browning or Miroku .

The reasons for that advice is two fold , firstly they are all good quality reliable guns with plenty of S/H examples on the market.

Secondly they all hold there value very well and unless you really pay over the odds for one you should be able to re-sell for a similar if not the same price as you paid , if you decide to part with it in the future.

Mostly shooting from a hide , so an auto /pump might be the way to go easy to load without catching net.

Like an over and under any of the makes mentioned, 26" to 30" barrels.

Loads of cheap side by sides out there at mo in 12 gauge fast to mount for quick shots.

fill in where you are on profile.

With your budget, and spending time shooting pigeons from a hide id say a s/h beretta al391 26" or 28" barrel.

Although you could go for a brand new Winchester sx3 or along those lines.

I stretched to £950 for my first and bought a s/h beretta a400 Xcel and absolutely love it- prefer it to any over and under our there (alright except for a blazer F3 pro!)

Jutst make sure it fits- semi autos easier in that department because they come with shims for cast adjustment etc. I was set on a browning a5 or maxus- picked it up and couldn't even reach the trigger properly!

Good luck!

browning miroku or beretta - whatever you buy, firstly make sure it fits you properly and secondly try it out before parting with the cash

Dont know where you are located so cant recommend a decent gun shop. If you are in or around Nottingham go to Neville Guns in Alfreton, hundreds of guns and you can take one on approval or shoot on his grounds 10 minutes down the road.

Cheers pal I'm in Riddings. Ten mins from Alfreton. Going to go in and have a chat I think when the time comes. Busy with house at min so just wanted a general feeling from you lads.

Thank you.

you really need to try them out and get one that you prefer rather that worry too much about the make - if your only using in a pigeon hide then reliability & one that you get on with is more important than the make or look. Miroku, browning or berretta all fine guns & very reliable. For a cheaper option then a Lanber is a good buy (as featured in March's sporting gun) I have had one for 20 years and never had any trouble at all.

Thanks all. What about an all rounder i.e hide and clay shoot. Or is it one for each?

That depends on money you want to spend. I have friends that have autos, O/U's and Side by Sides for different things, which is fine if you have the money & can get used to changing. I did this at one point but have now trimmed down my armoury to two although I would happily only use just the one as I did when I started out.

one gun for everything is perfectly fine especially if you get a multi-choke (30" barrels thats mid weight would be good) - again like choice of gun its a personal choice.

Edited by Mark74

That depends on money you want to spend. I have friends that have autos, O/U's and Side by Sides for different things, which is fine if you have the money & can get used to changing. I did this at one point but have now trimmed down my armoury to two although I would happily only use just the one as I did when I started out.

one gun for everything is perfectly fine especially if you get a multi-choke (30" barrels thats mid weight would be good) - again like choice of gun its a personal choice.

Ok thanks for advise. Need to get my ticket passed and then annoy the gun dealer. I'll look at prices on net. Should be a few weeks before ticket granted.

Cheers. Chris..

Chris, maybe worth noting that some clay shoots don't like semi-auto's although i am yet to come across one.

Also if you decide to do some game days, then ideally you want a o/u or s/s.

I have a miroku mk60 which I use for clays, game and pigeons. Absolutely love it, and as much as I would like a semi auto for the pigeons, I would rather spend a bit more on a decent all-rounder than have 2 cheaper seperate guns.

Hope that makes sense

Chris, maybe worth noting that some clay shoots don't like semi-auto's although i am yet to come across one.

Also if you decide to do some game days, then ideally you want a o/u or s/s.

I have a miroku mk60 which I use for clays, game and pigeons. Absolutely love it, and as much as I would like a semi auto for the pigeons, I would rather spend a bit more on a decent all-rounder than have 2 cheaper seperate guns.

Hope that makes sense

Yep makes sense to me. Swaying more to the o/u. Although not shot an auto. Gun shop awaits!!

Thanks all

A quality 28" or 30" Sporter, ejector with multi chokes should fit the bill-personally I would not get an Auto as a first gun-only my opinion though. A decent Winnie 101 if you can find one should hold its value if not rise if you look after it.

Thanks mate.

Chris.

Thanks mate.

Chris.

Thanks mate.

Chris.