bullet grouping

hi lads tried these today in new rifle it is a heanel jager 10 with 22 inch barrel 1/12 twist.group shot at hundred yards.the ogive is 1.934 so stepped back in ten thou on red 1.924 next on green 1.904 next on blue 1.894 next on black 1.874 the bullets are 55 gram vmax 23.3 grains vihtavuori powder.can you tell me how to close grouping up tighter.in my cz I can get them touching with same powder and 55 grain vmax.thanks for looking.post-59539-0-30562700-1424881908_thumb.jpg

post-59539-0-09609700-1424882089.jpg

Edited by snow white

What calibre? How did you decide on 23.3 grains? What powder? Are you shooting from a solid rest with a rear bag? Is this a new rifle or just new to you? Are you using new cases? What primers are you using? Do you weigh your powder or measure? Do you check for bullet run out? Do you crimp? Is the barrel clean? Have you shot any over a chrony? Any pressure signs? Have you tried good quality factory rounds? Has the rifle got a light weight sporter type barrel? Have you checked the action screws/bedding?

That's a start :)

Fist you find your powder weight that give the best groups. Then you could try alternative seating depths. You need to go back to powder weight's.

There's your answer. Pic a seating depth (20 thou off the lands is a good start, SAAMI length is another) and see what powder weight gets you the best result and variance (above and below). Then work the seating depth in or out to fine tune. Powder type can change group size by 4"+ across different powders, powder weight can change groupings 1-4" across different weights, seating depth will give you 1" or less except in extreme circumstances and only if everything else is right.

rick

Dougy. I was asking for advice on how to get a better group do I use less powder more powder seat heads more in or out.IF THAT WAS MY GROUPING I WOULD THROUGH THE GUN AWAY MATE.with my cz 223 I can put them touching at hundred yards with the rounds I use will try to post photos later if I don't go foxing tonight.

SW.

It may be more it maybe less. But i would only do 3 shot groups for initial load development, note every thing you do, always..

Once you close those groups down by altering powder weight only, then pick the best and maybe tweak the powder weight slightly.

Then you can start on seating depth.

Then amount of neck sizing.

Then neck tension.

Oh ! you could also try using different primers they will also make a difference.

I cannot stress enough keep a log of everything you do regarding measuring, powder, seating depth and keep your targets logged, they tell you what you need to know good or bad

Seating depth change on same charge shows no significant change.

Indicated the charge is not at an accuracy node

Just because a load works well in one rifle doesn't mean it works in another (even the same brand and model)

start with charge levels above and below where you are at 0.2gr intervals (0.5gr if you want, they will all show you an indication of group size)

3-5 shot groups depending on how much you want to invest

start with calibre depth OAL as a starting point (not everything needs a land crunching OAL!)

Find the one (or more likely two depending on charge range) accuracy nodes

Choose one that matches your MV needs

you can either fine tune the charge either side in smaller increments or jump straight to the OAL

Alter OAL either side of the starting OAL to tune to a smaller group

Hi lads I have got it sorted used 23.3 grains vith powder as was using in cz put the head in at 1.929 5thou from lands tryed five rounds at hundred yards grouping I could cove with thumb nail not bad as it was blowing a ruddy gale.only trouble for got to charge phone so not photos if it stops blowing will zero scope properly for.thanks for all the adives. Snow white