wallabies ?

islandgun

I have half a notion that there is a colony of wallabies on a Scottish Island. I also entirely accept the possibility that I am talking complete and utter nonsense.

Edit to add: My half notion was right, I googled after posting and discovered this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inchconnachan

Edited by grrclark

I have half a notion that there is a colony of wallabies on a Scottish Island. I also entirely accept the possibility that I am talking complete and utter nonsense.

Edit to add: My half notion was right, I googled after posting and discovered this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inchconnachan

Well I never, so thats a no then. After watching slow roast wallaby on the programme they look just the ticket, shame, good series though, thanks for the link

Yes there are a colony of Wallabies on Inchconnachan on loch Lomond. I see at least 3 every time I visit the island. Sadly though they have been inbreeding so health wont be that good also people with dogs end up killing them just like they have done with the capercaillie on the other islands.

I am sure I read of a colony in Bedfordshire , there is definitely one on the Isle of Man

I remember going to Whipsnade zoo in Bedfordshire as a child and trying to catch the free range Wallabies in fact its the only thing I do remember :/ I wonder if they escaped from there perhaps I shouldn't have left that gate open

Yes there are a colony of Wallabies on Inchconnachan on loch Lomond. I see at least 3 every time I visit the island. Sadly though they have been inbreeding so health wont be that good also people with dogs end up killing them just like they have done with the capercaillie on the other islands.

So the colony isn't thriving hmm, I wasn't being serious about releasing them, but after a bit of thought they would be an interesting farming proposition, as a marsupial they are able to support three young at once, and according to the TV not unlike lamb to eat, any farmers out there looking to diversify ?

There is indeed a colony on the Isle of Man. They are descended from escapees in the late 60's/early 70's from a wild life park. I have eaten one & can't say I was overly impressed. Very dense meat. Somewhat rubbery texture. I understand that due to inbreeding there is a lot of blindness in the colony.

Guest newarcher1

hi we have or had a colony on the roaches near leek , they were introduced by the then owner of the land. Sir phillip brockelhurst ,i think this was in the 30s/40s .i was lucky enough to see one around 1957 ,when just a lad . Sir phillip also kept a yak ,which we also caught a sight of .Over the years there have been numerous sightings, some quite recently.

Also one around Whipsnade Zoo in the Chliterns.

I remember going to Whipsnade zoo in Bedfordshire as a child and trying to catch the free range Wallabies in fact its the only thing I do remember :/ I wonder if they escaped from there perhaps I shouldn't have left that gate open

So the colony isn't thriving hmm, I wasn't being serious about releasing them, but after a bit of thought they would be an interesting farming proposition, as a marsupial they are able to support three young at once, and according to the TV not unlike lamb to eat, any farmers out there looking to diversify ?

They are doing ok its just an island the gene pool isnt big and scumbags let their dogs loose on them. That wikipedia page has it wrong its not the wallabies that are having an impact on the capercaillie its people and their dogs and wild campers. Capercaillie are now extinct from the islands the National Park that manages the islands are useless and I cant believe they didnt do anything about it. Each Island is different and beautiful if you have the chance to visit the island you almost certain to see a William Wallaby within 10 15 minute walk.

They are doing ok its just an island the gene pool isnt big and scumbags let their dogs loose on them. That wikipedia page has it wrong its not the wallabies that are having an impact on the capercaillie its people and their dogs and wild campers. Capercaillie are now extinct from the islands the National Park that manages the islands are useless and I cant believe they didnt do anything about it. Each Island is different and beautiful if you have the chance to visit the island you almost certain to see a William Wallaby within 10 15 minute walk.

Loch Lomond is certainly worth a good visit, I'm always amazed at the size when I'm in the area, whats the fishing like ?