fibre wads and backbored barrels

There were stories of fibre causing problems in some of the well overbored barrels with virtually no chamber forcing cone when the temperature feel into the --C°.

Since the difference between 'standard' and 'overbore' is less than 0.01" and there's a couple of tons pressure up its retrofeltvent it's probably doing the job pretty well, especially if it's leaving wad trails up the bore.

I have used a lot of fibre wads through my MK10 which is back bored and all without any of the problems mentioned. I too have heard all of the myths with regards to the subject, but to date have never experienced any of them. The fibre wad, after all, is more likely to expand to the wider barrel, more so than a plastic wad. Do remember that the incorrect storage of ANY cartridge can affect it's performance, this in turn can lead to excessive particles of unburned powder left inside the barrels.

I think the jury is still out on fibre wads with overbored barrels. I've shot a lot of fibre through a standard Optima HP barrelled Prevail with 5" cones and apart from a bit of leading in the bores they worked fine. CGs have a nominal bore size of .735" which is 3 thou more than Beretta and when shooting the exact same shells I noticed a few where flame was coming out of the muzzles so I immediately switched to plastic This is presumably the dreaded blow by and something I won't be risking again. I store shells upstairs in the house so it wasn't temerature although these were a couple of years old.

Seem ok in my mk38 back before plastic wad came out I had a gun a bit overbored .Being a reloader went to Stensbys asked about 11 bore wads gunsmith said eley kleena wads were 3/4" ie 750 after checking them he was correct . Most wads are over 740. Dipper

I have posted about it before on here. My mossberg was losing a couple hundred feet per second with fiber wads. I put different rounds across a chrony from 2 different guns and it was a huge difference, enough so that i sold the gun as it didn't work well enough for fiber wab steel.

This was an overbore barrel, specifically a 10 gauge ID with a 12 ga chamber. i would expect some blowby with backboring as well, but not as much as most backbored guns are still nominal 12 gauge diameter.

Thanks,

Rick