I just don't get this.

Scully

Was having a browse and came across thishttp://www.gunstar.co.uk/colt-1911-eley-455-pistol-hand-guns-for-sale-in-hampshire/Other-Military-Guns/744297

Over £4,000 for a de-activated handgun! I just don't get it. Personally I think it's criminal for a piece of our history to be chopped up like this, regardless of the claims it still functions, it doesn't.

I could understand someone paying say, perhaps a 100 quid for something like this but in my opinion it's rarity appeal has been destroyed along with its value and it's just about worthless in my opinion. £4,000 ?!

Who would pay 4 grand for something which doesn't work? As much of a gun nut as I am I'd struggle to give 20 quid for it. Is it me?

The slab side is not original because it has been tampered with . I wouldn't give it house room . I have owned a number of 1911s over the years including one chambered for 9 mil . I suppose because we cannot own these guns any more there is a market for collectors developing for de acts . You wouldn't have been able to give it away a few years ago before the ban . Mind you ,it would Proberbly look good in an original US army snap down holster for re -enactment .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

I would see its value being destroyed with it being deactivated. There are good working 1911/s .45 here for sale a lot cheaper than that.

Description: STI Perfect Classic .45ACP Custom Built As new condition £1895 Contact Lavin Guns 02827641204 Category: .Pistol : Hand guns Make: STI Model: Perfect Classic Certificate Required: Yes Calibre: .45 Mechanism: Semi automatic Status: Live Firing Price: £1895 Gun Condition: Excellent

The fact that it is deactivated makes it accessible to all, so advertise something well enough and you will get the well healed yet uninformed dropping silly cash on something they think is very special.

I would say fair odds you will get some daft city type with a big bonus lashing out a few quid on something he can impress his mates with and live up to his fantasy image of being an urban gangster.

Was having a browse and came across thishttp://www.gunstar.co.uk/colt-1911-eley-455-pistol-hand-guns-for-sale-in-hampshire/Other-Military-Guns/744297

Over £4,000 for a de-activated handgun! I just don't get it. Personally I think it's criminal for a piece of our history to be chopped up like this, regardless of the claims it still functions, it doesn't.

I could understand someone paying say, perhaps a 100 quid for something like this but in my opinion it's rarity appeal has been destroyed along with its value and it's just about worthless in my opinion. £4,000 ?!

Who would pay 4 grand for something which doesn't work? As much of a gun nut as I am I'd struggle to give 20 quid for it. Is it me?

What have they done to it then to de activate it? Pour led down the barel?

What have they done to it then to de activate it? Pour led down the barel?

I really don't know. As it can be cycled manually in and out of battery I'm assuming there will be a long cut in the barrel, and some means of preventing a new barrel being installed, and all sorts of internal vandalism. I really don't know.

My point is perhaps 100 quid tops (which I still wouldn't pay) but 4 grand? Wow.

Its vandalism destroying a rare and historic handgun.

That's how I see it also. There's a bit of sour grapes involved on my part I'll admit, but I was in the process of accumulating a really nice collection of handguns in .455 calibre. I already had a Colt New Service bought from Brancepeth Armouries in Durham, had found a lovely Webley 'Bulldog' and when I found a cased Winchester Model 12 in Fawcett's of Lancaster, the owner of the shotgun also had sold to them a Royal Navy Webley & Scott MkI semi auto and a Webley Fosberry, which I was pushing for a deal on and for which I had already sold my car to raise the funds. It didn't happen for obvious reasons but I now and again wonder what became of them all, all pieces of British firearms history.

The fact one has been deactivated only means in my opinion that it is still around, but not worth a fraction of it's real worth.Criminal.

Edited by Scully