shotgun - opening and closing

400_racer

Hi all.....great forum with loads of good reads :good:

I'm just looking for your opinions on opening the breech of my first shotgun that I have fairly recently bought. Its a 12g Lanber Field which I am well pleased with :D .....although havent been able to use it too much as ive been away since Christmas when I got it :) ..... but bring on the Easter hols an i'l be out everyday with it! :o

Its a lovely gun but the only slight problem with it, is that its quite stiff to open and close the breech, you really have to grip it along the barrels to get a bit of extra leverage. Although I obviously knew this when I got it, it was a good price and the gundealer assured me it would loosen up after putting a few cartridges through it. Ive been away since Christmas and have only managed to round off about 70 cartridges since gettting it.

My question, is it fairly common for a gun to be stiff to open and close when brand new? Does it really need 'running in' or has the gundealer sold me a right kipper?

Thanks

id say 99% of new guns are tight, you wouldnt buy it any other way realy, you'd want to know why it was loose right, just use it and it will run itself in, depending on the frequency of use it wont take too long, as 30-6 said it has been know, and more than a few will sit with a little rouge in the action and work out the stifness.

personal choices right, not mine though.

keep using it and have fun buddy

Martin

I've heard a lot of people say that Lanbers can be a bit tight when new. My Beretta was a bit stiff to open, but I've put about 1500 rounds through it and it's starting to feel better now. One thing I found to really help, was a tip from Martin (The last engineer). Get some dry lube spray, I use Hoppes 9 dri-lube with teflon, and spray that on the hinge pins and the surfaces that rub. It'll loosen it up a bit immediately, and also reduce wear in the long term. I put it on everything that moves now, and it's great :good:

Hi,

I too have a new Lanber and its is quite tight, the wifes Miraku was also tight when she got it but it has loosened up with use :good:. The old Laurona I had was 30 yrs old and well used and you could close it by just straightening the stock over the broken barrels.

So I would say ans long as its working Ok every thing is fine with it and its got a 5 year gaurentee any way.

Cheers

Trev

Thanks for all the replies! Its good to know that its quite a common thing with new guns.....looks like i'm just gonna ave to use it even more often when i'm back.....what a shame ay! :good: Thanks for the tip, I may just ave to try the old dri-lube see if it helps :o

Yeah theres no other probs with it, well pleaseed I got it and cant wait to get some decoying in when i'm back for Easter. :):D

Hi all.....great forum with loads of good reads :good:

I'm just looking for your opinions on opening the breech of my first shotgun that I have fairly recently bought. Its a 12g Lanber Field which I am well pleased with :o .....although havent been able to use it too much as ive been away since Christmas when I got it :lol: ..... but bring on the Easter hols an i'l be out everyday with it! :)

Its a lovely gun but the only slight problem with it, is that its quite stiff to open and close the breech, you really have to grip it along the barrels to get a bit of extra leverage. Although I obviously knew this when I got it, it was a good price and the gundealer assured me it would loosen up after putting a few cartridges through it. Ive been away since Christmas and have only managed to round off about 70 cartridges since gettting it.

My question, is it fairly common for a gun to be stiff to open and close when brand new? Does it really need 'running in' or has the gundealer sold me a right kipper?

Thanks

When it does finally loosen up remember the correct way to open and close it, "stock to lock"

That is to hold the barrels firmly pointing at the ground and bring the stock up to them to close the gun, if yours is stiff the last thing would be to wave the barrels around struggling to open the gun.

Act safely and you will always be asked back to shoot, its worth it.

:D D2D

With the lanber, if your preference is a slacker action you will have to just keep shooting it until it loosens up.

I do know that Berretta and Brownings can be loosened up when new if they are a problem to you by your gunsmith, but they are normally reluctant to do this.

why do you think that my friend,

imo, the worst thing you will ever do is have a gun intensionaly loosend, it'll come back to haunt you.