A pigeon shooting conference

David BASC

CLOSED SEASON FOR PIGEON SHOOTING

Der All,

Let me say here and now - we have not been lobbied to the best of my knowledge by anyone in the 'shooting industry' to propose a closed season on pigeon shooting - who in the 'industry' would a closed season benefit? Can't think can you?.

This is important- Please do not take this the wrong way - but do not believe you 'sources' if you want to know what is going on at BASC then ASK ME!

A closed season on pigeons or any other significant change to game seasons, shooting seasons, quarry lists, ect. would have to be debated by way of open consultation - and certianly not a unilateral decision by BASC.

If there are any potential changes to law effecting pigeon shooting I promise you I will do all I can to make sure this forum knows about it without delay so you can ALL have your input.

D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Conferences can mean different things to different peolple I agree.

yes they mean easy money for greedy people who make loads of money out of people who like shooting

one day people will wake up to basc

they only do it for the money

pigeon conference what next :good:?

nonsence we dont need to pay you any more money than you already get greedy basc i say

kirky

Kirkby,

Sorry bud cannot let that one go by - given that i have made it clear that the conference would be break even - ie no proffit- how can you accuse me / BASC of just being in it for the money?

Sorry mate but this just sounds like you knocking BASC for the sake of it!

Accepting the simple fact that there is nothing I could write to change your mind about BASC (you obviously do not like us - and by US I do not meran just the staff- BASC is the ENTIRE membership not just us up at MM) Perhapse we can agree that you would not want to come to any meeting or conference BASC aranged.

So be it - thanks for the NO vote. (and I am not being sarcastic! I mean THNAK YOU for the vote)

D

Kirkby,

Sorry bud cannot let that one go by - given that i have made it clear that the conference would be break even - ie no proffit- how can you accuse me / BASC of just being in it for the money?

Accepting the simple fact that there is nothing I could write to change your mind about BASC (you obviously do not like us - and by US I do not meran just the staff- BASC is the ENTIRE membership not just us up at MM) Perhapse we can agree that you would not want to come to any meeting or conference BASC aranged.

So be it - thanks for the NO vote. (and I am not being sarcastic! I mean THNAK YOU for the vote)

D

david i payed you well not you personely but basc for my small and large heaLTH AND HYGIENE

COURSE IT COST 120 POUNDS why please ?? did it cost so much for some one to stand in my local hotel conference room and tell me all about the things i have been doing for years ??/

its all about money isnt it or you wouldnt be interested .

so dont tell me i wouldnt pay money to you as i already have

kirky :good:

Andew Semple - a long ago ex member of staff (or are we talking of another Andrew Semple)- who I knew well but have not spoken to for several years.

JB is Chairman of the GTA as you know - Is he honestly going to sell to the gun trade the concept of restricting shooting? Come on'!

As for Roland = I do not know him personally- but let me have a chat with others at the Mill tomorrow and let you all know.

But I ask you - whre is the denamd for a closed seaon - no where!

Bird numbers may seem to be low (in terms of bag returns) but lets face it- with these mild winters there is tons of food about so the birds have plenty of choice- they are not always flocking but are well scattered.

Lets not make an issue out of nothing

I say NO CLOSED SEAON what do you all say

David

Kirkby,

D

david i payed you well not you personely but basc for my small and large heaLTH AND HYGIENE

COURSE IT COST 120 POUNDS why please ?? did it cost so much for some one to stand in my local hotel conference room and tell me all about the things i have been doing for years ??/

its all about money isnt it or you wouldnt be interested .

so dont tell me i wouldnt pay money to you as i already have

kirky :good:

Every pigeon shooter I know, believes there is no need for a close season.

The milder Winters have changed the birds habits, but we have to adjust to that, as we had to adjust to the advent of gigantic and numerous rape fields.

The woodpigeon is an agricutural pest, which is why it is covered by the open licence.

To make it anything else would be a nonsense.

I am a BASC member and do not believe they would support such a proposal.

A good bar I hope!

K if you want a break down of the cost of the course I will get it for you - but remember not all of that goes to BASC - a chunk of it goes to the indipendent assessor for your certificate.

In terms of the course itself I think we are or were the cheapest option.

I am affraid that people do not work for free! The law says you need a certificate- thats that. We offer a course the NGO offer a course- and now loads of individulas offer the course.

Costs would include the materials used on the course, the venue, the cost of delivering the course.

Are you saying that BASC should NOT deliver courses?

Perhapse this is a topic for debate-

1. the value of the current meat handeling course .....and ....

2 Should BASC deliver courses....

answers on a post card if we do not have a conference....

D

Now I have to be careful to state my position here.

I love woodpigeon shooting, I sell tens of thousands of pounds worth of pigeon shooting equipment every year, I send out BASC membership packs with nearly all mail order parcels, I pay thousands of pounds a year to have the inside back cover of the BASC magazine in every issue, I am a long standing trade member of BASC, and was even in the last two candidates for a staff position at one time, but beaten fairly by Carl Cox (oh, the humiliation... :good: ). In short, I am a very solid supporter of BASC. :good:

BUT...I personally think the birds would benefit from a closed season. Nothing more than that. :lol:

CLOSED SEASON FOR PIGEON SHOOTING

- who in the 'industry' would a closed season benefit? Can't think can you?.

Yes I can, the sporting agents, firstly it plays into the hands of those who would like to see shooting crumble as they would use the "fact" that woodpigeon breed in most months of the year to get an even lesser open season and so rabbit shooting would also fall(no one batted an eyelid when cymag and phostox was all the rage).

Close on the heels of a short(say 3 month season) will come a cry that it should be professionals or guided by professionals that should cull pests and only to the strictest application of the General licence......

But all the above is just me having a nightmare, I`ve been to a few Wildfowling conferences and they are interesting to those with either a vested interest or a deep love of it, IMHO if you have nothing to put back into the sport don`t just take and never give back and then throw mud because something is going to cost you money.

I`m in David, but no where further south than York......unless it`s the day or two before the PW Bisley meet :good:

Crikey --now the conspiracy theorists have a pheasnat shooting ban on the cards!

Where is your evidence for this bold (and incacurate) statement Mark ?

I'm off now to review my film footage of the Roswell aliens going forward in time form htier crash site time to shoot President Kennedy from the Grassy Knoll, and then flying foward in time again to make fake footage of the moon landings.

D

It would almost as slippery slope as the CPSA proposing their name change.

I for one would not support a closed season on the biggest agricultural pest there is. And should the BASC go down that route I would vote with my feet.

I do however support the BASC at the present moment and would be interested in attending a conference, However I wouldn't travel to the other end of the country to see someone show me the latest gimmicks.

A good bar I hope!

K if you want a break down of the cost of the course I will get it for you - but remember not all of that goes to BASC - a chunk of it goes to the indipendent assessor for your certificate.

In terms of the course itself I think we are or were the cheapest option.

I am affraid that people do not work for free! The law says you need a certificate- thats that. We offer a course the NGO offer a course- and now loads of individulas offer the course.

Costs would include the materials used on the course, the venue, the cost of delivering the course.

Are you saying that BASC should NOT deliver courses?

Perhapse this is a topic for debate-

1. the value of the current meat handeling course .....and ....

2 Should BASC deliver courses....

answers on a post card if we do not have a conference....

D

david i now no i do need this cert but for a long time after the course noone else was bothering

its only it the past few weeks have the game dealer been asking for proof of the course and for that i thank you

it feels like these things are hitting the commen working man by that im kinda speaking for my self as 120 pounds was hard to find having 2 kids and her indoors to suport

mite be an idea to help people who are on low income by offering low cost membership to people who can prove they are on low incomes as many people who shoot no dowt will be, only an idea , but get you some

more members from us little people with not that much cash

ps i know you do help us and are a good team

cheers kirky

sorry my grammer is so kak no education you see

Should BASC deliver courses....

of course it should.

should they charge the prices they do for them.:good:?:good:?

Mark,

do you get paid for going to work?

Have you ever used a solicitor? ( Sorry Mungler)

Have you ever gone to a private dentist or had a plumber round to do anything?

It is a fact of life that people want paying for what they do and also what they can get away with. If the BASC need to employ someone to assess a course then they have to pay for it. As it is a legal requirement for people to do that course and there probably isn't that many people who asess them at the moment then they can charge what they like.

I believe that the BASc puts as much back into shooting as it takes out and if that means that you have to pay a couple of hundred quid to continue in your chosen sport then so be it.

Where is your evidence for this bold (and incacurate) statement Mark ?

the antis have been after it for years.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/images/pdf/leaflets/fowlplay.pdf

dont start trying to insult me now and say its the first you have heard of it.

just another reason why you dont get no more of my money.

Should BASC deliver courses....

of course it should.

should they charge the prices they do for them.:good:?:good:?

Mark,

do you get paid for going to work?

Have you ever used a solicitor? ( Sorry Mungler)

Have you ever gone to a private dentist or had a plumber round to do anything?

It is a fact of life that people want paying for what they do and also what they can get away with. If the BASC need to employ someone to assess a course then they have to pay for it. As it is a legal requirement for people to do that course and there probably isn't that many people who asess them at the moment then they can charge what they like.

I believe that the BASc puts as much back into shooting as it takes out and if that means that you have to pay a couple of hundred quid to continue in your chosen sport then so be it.

basc, have no need to charge the rates they do.

when the big disaster happens in this country all this will just be a silly nonsence !!!

people will que up for rabbit and pigeon just to survive i do look forward to that daY !!

THEY WONT WORRY THAT I HAVE THE CORRECT PAPPER WORK WHEN THEY ARE HUNGERY

simple but true

kirky

Hell, people pay bundles to go on a poxy Ray Mears course - how to get fat off the land.... I digress.

If you don't want to pay then don't go.

I personally wouldn't pay / bother to go on a BASC course that is unless Ray Mears was running one :lol:

i know we all have to pay but,if they can fill a hall with bodies for a conflab and keep the prices down , why cant they do it with a theory shooting course.

Hold up mark :good: When did you ever believe that anti ***** :good:

LB

i dont believe a word they say mate. but some do.

hand guns foxes etc.