A pigeon shooting conference

David BASC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good bar I hope!

K if you want a break down of the cost of the course I will get it for you - but remember not all of that goes to BASC - a chunk of it goes to the indipendent assessor for your certificate.

In terms of the course itself I think we are or were the cheapest option.

I am affraid that people do not work for free! The law says you need a certificate- thats that. We offer a course the NGO offer a course- and now loads of individulas offer the course.

Costs would include the materials used on the course, the venue, the cost of delivering the course.

Are you saying that BASC should NOT deliver courses?

Perhapse this is a topic for debate-

1. the value of the current meat handeling course .....and ....

2 Should BASC deliver courses....

answers on a post card if we do not have a conference....

D

david i now no i do need this cert but for a long time after the course noone else was bothering

its only it the past few weeks have the game dealer been asking for proof of the course and for that i thank you

it feels like these things are hitting the commen working man by that im kinda speaking for my self as 120 pounds was hard to find having 2 kids and her indoors to suport

mite be an idea to help people who are on low income by offering low cost membership to people who can prove they are on low incomes as many people who shoot no dowt will be, only an idea , but get you some

more members from us little people with not that much cash

ps i know you do help us and are a good team

cheers kirky

sorry my grammer is so kak no education you see

No need to say sorry mate, you say what you feel and tell it how it is :good:

:good: D2D

A good bar I hope!

K if you want a break down of the cost of the course I will get it for you - but remember not all of that goes to BASC - a chunk of it goes to the indipendent assessor for your certificate.

In terms of the course itself I think we are or were the cheapest option.

I am affraid that people do not work for free! The law says you need a certificate- thats that. We offer a course the NGO offer a course- and now loads of individulas offer the course.

Costs would include the materials used on the course, the venue, the cost of delivering the course.

Are you saying that BASC should NOT deliver courses?

Perhapse this is a topic for debate-

1. the value of the current meat handeling course .....and ....

2 Should BASC deliver courses....

answers on a post card if we do not have a conference....

D

david i now no i do need this cert but for a long time after the course noone else was bothering

its only it the past few weeks have the game dealer been asking for proof of the course and for that i thank you

it feels like these things are hitting the commen working man by that im kinda speaking for my self as 120 pounds was hard to find having 2 kids and her indoors to suport

mite be an idea to help people who are on low income by offering low cost membership to people who can prove they are on low incomes as many people who shoot no dowt will be, only an idea , but get you some

more members from us little people with not that much cash

ps i know you do help us and are a good team

cheers kirky

sorry my grammer is so kak no education you see

No need to say sorry mate, you say what you feel and tell it how it is :good:

:good: D2D

yes but us little people nevr get listened to mate will be interesting to see if basc could offer consecoins??

kirky

Dear All,

Let me know if you think a pigeon conference organised by BASC would be a good idea.

1. Would you come?

2. How much would you expect to have to pay?

3. What time of year would be best?

4. What topics would you like to hear discussed / debated?

5. Where in the UK would you weant it to be?

Look forward to hearing your views.

Best wishes

David

Can anyone respond to this post :good:

LB

I have a piece of paper, from BASC, for a day on the ranges up to 300m and the cost £5........ damn sight cheaper than Bisley.

good do henry, but i dont need to go on a range mate.

and i dont need voluntary a shooting course of any type.

and i am getting to old to do one compulsory.

but my grand kids might need to do some of these things.

who speaks for them.

Yes know all about the antis - same old stuff - but cannot be ignored. But not a seriouse threat to abolish shooting I can assure you

K - don't worray about the gramer- have you seen my spelling!

D thanks for your support- if people want to limit thier shooting due to local conditions - then that is good- it shows matrutity and responsibility among shooters- but a compulsory closed seaon? it woud not work (see below)

Just to answer a couple of points:

Handguns - BASC were the ONLY shooting organisation prepared to go on live TV the day that the tragerdy happended - no one did more than BASC to save handguns- and most of our members had no interest in handuguns- unfortunately no one else was prepared to stand up and be counted!

Foxes= yes we disagreed with some of the 'research' about shooting foxes - because in our proffessional oppinion it was not correct- most certainly it was not correct for anyone to suggest that shootes tend to wound foxes!

You may not belived me M but why- ? Drop me a line at david.ilsley@basc.org.uk rather than blocking up this thread...

Back to pigeons.

A closed season could not work IMHO - pigeons can only be shot as pests -pests cannot have a closed season!

If anyone pushed for a closed seaon the argument would go like this....

So pigeons are not a pest then if you want a closed season?

Therefore as they are not pests they cannot be shot under the OGL.

SO the OGL is revoked and pigeons can no longer be shot..at all.

End of pigeon shooting.

Now try and get it back!

As for 'sporting agents' and pigeon guides who block up tens of thousands of acres of pigeon shooting- so they can sell days at £100 per gun to hals a doxen guys a day..is that right? Is that pest control under the OGL, as big an isue as closed seasons IMHO!

D

I hope one of the mods decides to try and get this back on topic.

Valid arguments and points all round but most of them nothing to do with what poor david asked before you all started being paranoid at him :good:

Who are you calling paranoid?

Besides, how do you know it is really David. It could be anyone - ah, think about it, you see. It's not safe.

It is me, the real me- the totally bald one from BASC!

Check me out- e-mail me or call me at HQ to double check its me.

At leat i think I am who I say i am...I'm not sure now.......

Anyway - back to the point!

Three main issuers i think coming out of this:

1. If we (BASC) do get a conference together I will let you all know.But we must make it very interesting and as low cost as possible.

2. Cost of courses- We will keep charging but at a break even basis- I am affraid that some courses are simply more expensive to put on than others.

3. Pigeon closed seasons Lets keep the statu quo - no closed season but voluntary restraint where local conditions dictate.

WHAT SAY YOU ALL?

David at BASC (The real one)

BASC have already started to ‘meddle’ with pigeon shooting…who are their members? Shooters in the main NOT Farmers BUT BASC have been encouraging farmers to sell their pigeon shooting opportunities. Why do they do this? Their excuse…to open more opportunities for the shooting public. Yeah right :good:

Personally I think this idea of a ‘conference’ could be the thin end of the wedge and very dangerous. Many countries in the EU have a season for pigeons and in some cases it’s mighty short. Any proposals to bring something similar into the UK should be very very heavily campaigned against and BASC should be in the forefront of such things. Better spend the £3000 on that than some damn useless ‘conference’ that smacks of ‘spin’ :good:

If there is a conference I would attend just to get a feel for things but I’m very sceptical about BASC’s intentions. I wouldn’t take too much notice of ‘cost’ but offer anything on here and there’s bound to be a big argument about ‘how much! :P

I’m hoping Deako’s just on another wind up or I might have to propose a moratorium on buying his kit from say April to September and as for ‘professional pigeon shooters and agents’ the reason they thrive is farmers need 24/7 crop protection (from pests) NOT just once in a blue moon from hobbyists (sorry guys) :lol:

Just to state the FACTS and NOT oppinion:

BASC have not started to medle in pigeon shoting- we have been actively involved in pigeon shooting for decades and were there at the birth of the Open General Licence

BASC have not been telling farmers to sell thier pigeon shooting.

BASC have been advertising in the farming press encouraging farmers to keep letting shooting on their land.

BASC are NOT suggesting or encouraging a closed season. BASC have -since it started- campaigned to keep the OGL - so we do not have the European situation.

If you want to know what BASC's intentions are- then just look at out key objectives on our home page- we have nothing to hide.

Sorry if this seems blunt - but I have alays promised to state FACT and not emotive speculation.

David

I think a conference is an excellent idea. :lol:

Also, as some who goes to a lot of conferences as part of my job, £20 is a steal. The going rate is between £100- £150 for a similar event.

I am being bias but how about holding one somewhere in the midlands?

As for when, how about during the summer?

The Midlands does seem to be a good option - not least of all because it is easy to get to for most people- certainly the conferences we run in the Midlands seem to attractm ore people.

As for summer time - yep - happy with that -if that is what most people want.

I did wonder about attching it the the BASC Gamekeepers Fair in April - have the conference on the Saturday and include in the price a ticket for the Fair on the Sunday?

D