A pigeon shooting conference

David BASC

Dear All,

Let me know if you think a pigeon conference organised by BASC would be a good idea.

1. Would you come?

2. How much would you expect to have to pay?

3. What time of year would be best?

4. What topics would you like to hear discussed / debated?

5. Where in the UK would you weant it to be?

Look forward to hearing your views.

Best wishes

David

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

At BASC we organise conferences from time to time where a load of like minded people get together to discuss issues relevent to their interest. This helps BASC by at getting a grass roots vew of what is needed by shooters, and helps shooters to hear first hand from BASC how we can work together.

For example, this weekend just gone we ran a wildfowling conference- topics for discussion and review included:

Global warming and how it effects bird migration

Data collecting and its use in predicting bird breeding / migration patterns

Coastal Access

Grants and funding available for clubs

Finding land to buy / rent for shooting

Finding funding for land purchase

Just wodered in the pigeon shooting community was interested in a conference to review issues that could effect them - thats all.

Alternatively- How better could BASC serve the pigeon shooter? (I am a bit bias as to be honest apart from a bit of clay shoooting and plinking with an airgun - the only shooting I do is pigeon shooting)

Best wishes

D

Good point!

Just to give you an idea of the conference this weekend - it was for 100 delegates (the max the venue would allow) and cost us £3000

This included teas, coffess, cakes, biscuits, lunch, delegate packs.

We had sponsorship from Sporting Shooter Magazine and CCI - (Big Thank you to them) for £1000.

This took the cost per delegate down to £20.

Of course if there were more sponsors then the cost would be lower- but thats the sort of money we are talking about.

D

Sorry if I did not make it clear - i will try to break it down:

1. Cost

Cost of venue - with lunch & facilities - £3000

Sponsorship income - £1000

Tickets sold to delegates £2000 (includes the cost of lunch, refreshments, delegate pack)

The objective is to break even

2. Objective

A fishing trip? hardley - how do you come to that conclusion!

To present key topics of interest to shooters , exchange of information,and networking among like minded shooters, development of plans going forward to safeguard shooting,

3. Specifics for pigeon shooters could include:

Open general licence - now and in the future

Pigeon decoying teqniques

European pressures on shooting

Securing more land for shooting

Pigeon feeding patterns

Flight lines- fact orFiction....

The list could go on and on.

But hey - if you are not intereted in a conference so be it- just wanted to know what the feeling is from fellow pigeon shooters about a conferece idea - or indeed anything else you guys want to see from BASC.

See ya.

D

He's from Yorkshire, it will cost him so he doesn't want to know - offer him a free ticket and he'll probably deliver you a keynote on decoying :good::good:

I'd come along, if it was in the south east, if you got some known speakers along and the agenda sounded interesting.

The difficulty is in the interpretation of a "Conference".

If its all about equipment, methods, tactics, etc., it becomes an Exhibition, with trade stalls and guest speakers.

Conferences tend to discuss higher policy type matters, like the Open Licence, a Close Season for pigeon shooting, Global warming, pigeon migration, etc.

I think some would be interested in the former, not many in the latter.

David,

I think it is a very good idea.

Personally, I would be very much in favour of a closed season for woodpigeon, perhaps from 1st April until 1st September?

Do you think thats what the BASC are likely to propose at a conference, Deako ?

If they did, I can think of quite a few people that would be tearing up their membership cards.

I really don't know Brian, but I do know that BASC have been approached recently by friends within the shooting industry to propose this very thing.

Countrywide, I reckon numbers really are down and think the birds would benefit from a yearly shooting 'break'.

Conferences can mean different things to different peolple I agree.

For our type of shooting I think a mix of 'high level' issues for debate - plus some good old down to earth info / demmo on kit , backed by well known speakers would be just about right.

We need to be up to speed on what the current mood of parliament is - both domestic and European - boring to some maybe but it hits us all so we may as well be aware of what is going on (No I do not have any inside info of inpending doom for pigeon shooting or compulsoty testing for pigeon shooters (heaven forbid!))

A closed summer seaon for pigeon - well I guess you could start a thread just on that issue- but a good topic for an open debate at a conference I think with sepakers for and against the motion!

D

David, I would be up for it providing you can keep the cost around the £20 mark.

I would like to hear from the experts and a welcome inclusion would be a chef or two talking/demonstrating what can be done with a Pigeon in the kitchen.

I apologise for the knockers :good:

LB

David,

I think it is a very good idea.

Personally, I would be very much in favour of a closed season for woodpigeon, perhaps from 1st April until 1st September?

:good::good::lol::P:lol::lol:

you try telling that to a farmer when his peas are being hammered what a joke !!

kirky