Anyone on here like gardening?

njc110381

I've been out in the greenhouse the last couple of days getting ready for this years veg growing. I've got my broad beans starting to shoot and the propagator set up. Just need to get the heat setting right and then the chillies are going in. I've got hot tepin this year, supposedly the hottest available. We'll see. Anyone else on here like a bit of home grown (veg)? What do you grow? I'm going for tomatoes, aubergines, cucumber, chillies (at work we each grow one pack of seed then share the plants so we have 3 varieties), broad and runner beans, peas, carrots, sprouts and onions. I like to grow things that keep well over winter, and I'm planning to get a freezer for the shed so I can put my veg and bunnies/pigeons etc in there when I have surplus. I may grow some leeks again to put in sausages, but I've still got loads from last year to use up yet. Soup it is then!

I've been out in the greenhouse the last couple of days getting ready for this years veg growing. I've got my broad beans starting to shoot and the propagator set up. Just need to get the heat setting right and then the chillies are going in. I've got hot tepin this year, supposedly the hottest available. We'll see. Anyone else on here like a bit of home grown (veg)? What do you grow? I'm going for tomatoes, aubergines, cucumber, chillies (at work we each grow one pack of seed then share the plants so we have 3 varieties), broad and runner beans, peas, carrots, sprouts and onions. I like to grow things that keep well over winter, and I'm planning to get a freezer for the shed so I can put my veg and bunnies/pigeons etc in there when I have surplus. I may grow some leeks again to put in sausages, but I've still got loads from last year to use up yet. Soup it is then!

yep i like to grow my own veg loads better than what you get from a shop .... I grow tomatoes , runner beans , carrots , onions , parsnips and beetroot

Chillies are going into the greenhouse this Sunday.

Year before last I had a bumper crop using grow bags.

Last year none of the seeds took - now I have my suspicisions but I stored the seeds in the kitchen next to the microwave. This year I have bought two identicial sets of seeds - stored one set by the microwave and the others in the opposite corner of the kitchen. If the microwave set are duff then who knows what....

Perhaps I should get out more.

That sounds interesting, let me know how it goes. Maybe it makes them sterile? I just put mine out, the propagator has settled to 18-20 degrees C which should be ok. They're slow to come up normally, so I'll have to be patient. If you get a large crop of chillies, have you tried freezing them? My old boss swears by that method, so I'm going to try it. You can't beat chilli con carne in the winter :lol:

Yup.

We have a large garden with a similar large area to one side which was head high brambles two years ago. This is now our 'allotment'.

I made raised beds out of the old sheds that were there before and our neighbour (the local herdsman) is very kind and drops us off a tonne scoop of poop every now and again.

We had a fantastic amount of brussel sprouts last year and I was very excited thinking about my Christmas dinner with home grown organic sprouts, but the chickens found them and stripped them bare.

I was very very close to wringing one of their necks and eating it for Chrissy so I could at least taste my sprouts.

grrrr

/Mad

not much space left in our garden, but the plants do well that we have in the loft :good::D

only joking, both my dad and grandad, (being farmers) have always had massive garden space for veg patch's, so i've always been able to taste the fruits of there labour. my dad also has a full beast (beef) and half a lamb each year from the farm, which taste nothing like you buy from the self.

Gardening? GARDENING? serious pigeon shooters don't have time for gardening!

If I relied on pigeon shooting for my food, I'd starve! You don't have to worry about hitting a patch of runner beans flying past at what seems like 100mph! I have to eat sometimes :blink: