small shotgun reloads

i know that the law restricts us on the size of projectiles that can be put into a shotgun cartrigdes, and that there must be a minimum number of total projectiles. BUT, it is legal, on an SGC, to put one large slup, that still is under the required maximum size, and then four or five very small shot that will make up the minimum number?

any replies gratefully recieved

Generally the rule of thumb is 5 projectiles as you already mentioned. Although I have never tried mixed shot sizes with home reloading, I would say pattern performance will be very poor as the main heavy slug's accurracy would be distorted by the other shot. I will be honest I have found a good load of BB or No 1's(up to 63g) to far more effective than AAA OR SSG due to poor pattening thus returning a poor kill rate.

Regards starlight32

What I don't understand is why do people always try to get around the law? If you have a just reason for shotgun slugs then apply for an FAC.

I am sure that it would be legal to load a slug with 5 no. 9 shot behind it, but first you need to get hold of some slugs.

What I don't understand is why do people always try to get around the law? If you have a just reason for shotgun slugs then apply for an FAC.

I am sure that it would be legal to load a slug with 5 no. 9 shot behind it, but first you need to get hold of some slugs.

THE LARGEST SHOT SIZE IN A SHOTGUN ON SHOTGUN CERTIFICATE IS 36 GAUGE (ABOUT 8.1 MM

:blink: Why do you want such a hard hitting round anyway? Be very careful if you do try this, as 1..the slugs can carry a very long way and are lethal, and 2..if you can't find reloading info on this idea, the pressures could get high and you could get hurt. Better to apply for slugs on FAC if you have good reason to need them :good:

As taken from Home Office Guidance document, Chapter 2 Page 7:

iii) Shot gun cartridges

A shot gun certificate is not required to

possess or acquire shot gun cartridges

containing five or more shot, none of

which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All

ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this

description. However, a shot gun certificate(or firearm certificate authorising possession

of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required

to purchase shot gun cartridges. All single

bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug,

spherical ball or projectiles for birdscaring

equipment, is subject to the requirement for

a firearm certificate.

Brad

What I don't understand is why do people always try to get around the law?

you make out that this is a devious and underhand question. you fail to notice that so called "loopholes" in the law will have been purposfully left open by the government. It is not the case that they have simply missed it as this would have come up in any debate on the matter.

:/ Why do you want such a hard hitting round anyway? Be very careful if you do try this, as 1..the slugs can carry a very long way and are lethal, and 2..if you can't find reloading info on this idea, the pressures could get high and you could get hurt. Better to apply for slugs on FAC if you have good reason to need them :lol:

So why do you want this kind of round? - looking at your post in another section you were interested in converting your 9mm garden gun to centrefire then reloading 9mm pistol cartridges with shot. I do trust you are not trying to make yourself a home made 9mm rifle/slug gun? It will end in disaster and you may end up in jail or worse, hospital. :angry: If you have a just cause - apply through the proper channels.

Desperado :lol:

What I don't understand is why do people always try to get around the law?

you make out that this is a devious and underhand question. you fail to notice that so called "loopholes" in the law will have been purposfully left open by the government. It is not the case that they have simply missed it as this would have come up in any debate on the matter.

:/

:oops: Why do you want such a hard hitting round anyway? Be very careful if you do try this, as 1..the slugs can carry a very long way and are lethal, and 2..if you can't find reloading info on this idea, the pressures could get high and you could get hurt. Better to apply for slugs on FAC if you have good reason to need them :P

So why do you want this kind of round? - looking at your post in another section you were interested in converting your 9mm garden gun to centrefire then reloading 9mm pistol cartridges with shot. I do trust you are not trying to make yourself a home made 9mm rifle/slug gun? It will end in disaster and you may end up in jail or worse, hospital. :lol: If you have a just cause - apply through the proper channels.

Desperado :lol:

i was just simply finding out about the possibilities open to me, for the large shot for small calibres to take foxes at close range when out rabbiting without having to take the 12 bore and scare off everything for miles around. the 9mm point was simply a cost saving point because i could not believe that there was no way of getting 9mm shotgun rounds cheaper than 12 bore. i have and have nevver had any intentions of doing ANYTHING illegal or dangerous.

martincavie

Please look at the firearms guidence to the police before replying

engage brain before opening mouth! a simple sory will do !

Deershooter

Do me a monkey.

A 17 year old asking about iffy loads - and yes they are iffy, search through the history of this site and see if this sort of question arises often and then consider how many serious shooters and members of the shooting fraternity post here. Take a look at his other posts....

The first question is not is it legal, but why would you want to?

martincavie

Deershooter

What's a "SORY"

Why do I need to look at the firearms guidance to the police? Is this another teenager spoiling for a row?

:good::good::good::good::good:

martincavie

Deershooter

What's a "SORY"

Why do I need to look at the firearms guidance to the police? Is this another teenager spoiling for a row?

:good::good::good::good::good:

I am not a teenager spoiling for a row just make sure that you know the law before you give advice as you can loock stupid giving duff imformation to others

I am not the sort to get in to silly slanging matches over things like this,I only wish to give people the correct Imformation that they require

Deershooter

I am sure that it would be legal to load a slug with 5 no. 9 shot behind it

martincavie

No shot can be larger than 36 cal and the must be 5 or more,if not it becomes section 1 amunition if you was to put 5 9 shot and one lead ball which was above .36cal this would be illegal on a shot gun certificate so you cannot load a slug and 5 9 shot and keep inside the law with only a shotgun certificate

I said that I am sure it would be legal, it turned out to be incorrect. I was therefore wrong. I still see no need to apologise to you.

There is still no need for the Engage brain before opening mouth bit, I asked why people try to get around a law, if they have just cause for any type of firearm, round or whatever then they should apply for it the same as anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
As taken from Home Office Guidance document, Chapter 2 Page 7:

iii) Shot gun cartridges

A shot gun certificate is not required to

possess or acquire shot gun cartridges

containing five or more shot, none of

which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All

ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this

description. However, a shot gun certificate(or firearm certificate authorising possession

of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required

to purchase shot gun cartridges. All single

bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug,

spherical ball or projectiles for birdscaring

equipment, is subject to the requirement for

a firearm certificate.

Brad

Just a quick question but it says none of the shot must exceed .36inch. Does this law apply to all shotgun calibers is is it specific to 12g. if so (if i,m reading this right) would it be legal to use a solid slug with 4 no9 shot behind in a .410 ?. The .36inch equates to a 9mm .410 sabot slug.?

Hellier0437

"you make out that this is a devious and underhand question. you fail to notice that so called "loopholes" in the law will have been purposfully left open by the government. It is not the case that they have simply missed it as this would have come up in any debate on the matter".

This is possibly the most stupid statement I have ever seen on a gun forum. I say possibly, because there might be someone more stupid out there. I hope not.

try and get a cartridge called BUFFALO SLUG, one big solin lump of lead and will kill a fox at 80 yards or so with one hell of a punch. :good:

Providing you have a FAC. ;)

no FAC is required, gunshops can sell them to you without you having a FAC license, your not allowed to buy single shot cartridges if your shotgun has a rifled barrel. and the only rifled barrels i know of are used for elephant shooting but not many of them around now. :D