Max loads for silver pigeon

Hello forum.

I'm very new to shooting, and have a noob question that I can't easily find an answer to on the web. My shotgun is a new Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 Field, with 30" barrels. I know this gun is proofed for steel shot and has a 3" (76mm) chamber, but my question is what is the generally recommended maximum load and size of (lead) cartridge that I should sensibly shoot with this model?

It's not that I plan on any elephant shooting or anything, but I'd like to know what experienced shooters would suggest is a sensible upper limit on shell whack so that I don't go over it, and I'm a bit confused about pressure ratings, footpoundage and muzzle velocities and all that.

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you, chaps, that's very helpful and more or less what I thought. I'll be using it for game birds and rabbits, but we do have lots of foxes round here, and being a novice I reckon I need a big load of heavy shot to be more certain of a humane kill if I do stumble across one that's within my range (which will be very close!). I'm thinking 60g of 1shot in a 3 inch cartridge, which I see above that the gun can handle, even if my shoulder will sting a bit!

Many thanks.

Thank you, chaps, that's very helpful and more or less what I thought. I'll be using it for game birds and rabbits, but we do have lots of foxes round here, and being a novice I reckon I need a big load of heavy shot to be more certain of a humane kill if I do stumble across one that's within my range (which will be very close!). I'm thinking 60g of 1shot in a 3 inch cartridge, which I see above that the gun can handle, even if my shoulder will sting a bit!

Many thanks.

I hope you don't plan on eating anything with that load 😁

My 12 bore is also a 3" chamber, and primary use is foxing. I use Eley Alphamax (42g BB), and occasionally 50g of size 3 shot. The only thing I do is to make sure no more than half choke - but even that is probably not necessary.

However, you will probably find a load like that to be rather punchy in the shoulder.

I suppose the 60g of 1 shot might seem somewhat excessive... I just dont want to anger a fox with a light load and have it turn on me!

Seriously, though, althoigh I really don't want to wound something for it to die slowly and in pain just because I'm a clueless novice and don't yet have the skill for a clean kill, mostly I wanted to know the maximun theoretical load gun can handle.

Superb forum, this. I've lurked here on and off for ages. Nice to be a member.

Up to 25 yards, virtually any load out of a 12 bore will do massive damage to a fox. I'd imagine that would hold true even for a clay load (28g of 7.5). I use a large BB/3 load if out foxing mainly because I can't be sure of getting them really close.

I've had a fox (at about 10-12 yards) with a 410 shotgun last year. 14g of No. 6 shot, I seem to recall. Certainly not my first choice, but it was effective. Underdog on here (or rather his daughter) had a fox with a similar load/gun a few weeks back.

Ive only shot at two foxes with a shotgun..........both whilst standing in the gun line at a game shoot. Both dead first shot before their chins hit the ground. The first was 24 gramme #6 20 bore load and the second was a 30 gramme #7 12 bore load.

Now I'm not suggesting for one minute that you should go out specifically looking to shoot foxes with game loads.....I'm just making the point that the most important thing is range and shot placement to ensure a humane kill. Don't got buying big loads thinking you'll then be able to start shooting them at 60 yards..............

Many thanks.

Don't think you'll find a 60g 3" cartridge... unless home loads (maybe)

The heaviest 3" cartridge on the market is 52g... you would need a 3 1/2" chamber for 52g+!!!!

Please note do not measure cartridges as they come out of the box, chamber is the length of the cartridge once shot!!! Therefore some 3 1/2" cartridges may fit into the chamber of your 3" gun but could cause serious damage to gun and user if fired!!! Strongly not advised to try this!!

Edited by Simon123

Why so heavy load 30to 40 grams will do the job at 25 yards just about any 12 gauge load will bowl over a Fox as you are new to the sport I would suggest going a couple of times with someone experienced to learn the ropes as bad shot placement no matter which load will result in suffrage to the quarry which isn't good at all you seem eager to learn and that is a good thing and I hope you all the best

Think they'd be a 3 1/2" cartridge

Here are the 2 oz (56 g):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423442/federal-premium-mag-shok-turkey-ammunition-12-gauge-3-2-oz-4-copper-plated-shot-high-velocity-box-of-10?cm_vc=ProductFinding

There used to be a 2 1/8 oz load from federal, but i don't see it anymore. I used to have a box.

Thanks

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I see some replies suggesting lighter loads but I stand by my earlier reply of BB [4mm] shot size as a minimum in a 36 gram load. I pattern my fox loads on an 10 inch circle and extend the range until I get down to 6 hits in that circle. With BB [4mm] shot that's 35 yards in my gun. Just what I do to get clean kills, I don't think game loads are suitable for consistent kills at 30 plus yards.