Practical Shotgun Explained

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong but it just looks like the type of thing that is fun once but get bored of easy as it's just firing at static targets!

I have actually met a person who had a go at it and claimed he wasn't a fan afterwards. One person.

On quizzing him further it was actually because he is extremely competitive and because he finished last (it was his first go and he was using a 2+1 pump) he spat his dummy and wouldn't try it again :lol:

It may not be for you, but until you've tried it, you'll never know. As said, shooting against a clock and other people completely changes things and i've seen the coolest customer in the world that can easily make 1200m precision shots go to pot because there's a ticking clock on them!

You may also be under the Hollywood delusion that "you can't miss with a shotgun", i can tell you from personal and first hand experience that that most certainly isn't the case. :oops: Hitting a static target while moving, is much harder than hitting a moving target while stationary :yes:

Edited by Breastman

I have actually met a person who had a go at it and claimed he wasn't a fan afterwards. One person.

On quizzing him further it was actually because he is extremely competitive and because he finished last (it was his first go and he was using a 2+1 pump) he spat his dummy and wouldn't try it again :lol:

It may not be for you, but until you've tried it, you'll never know. As said, shooting against a clock and other people completely changes things and i've seen the coolest customer in the world that can easily make 1200m precision shots go to pot because there's a ticking clock on them!

You may also be under the Hollywood delusion that "you can't miss with a shotgun", i can tell you from personal and first hand experience that that most certainly isn't the case. :oops: Hitting a static target while moving, is much harder than hitting a moving target while stationary :yes:

A guy at my club was on one comp and he had to sit in a swing that went left and right and shoot at static clay pigeons ahead of him. So he was moving rather than the clay. A lot harder than you'd think!

Contact the UKPSA beforehand to see what the arrangements are, Vanessa Duffy is probably the best person to ask as she's either the competition secretary or chairperson for the UKPSA, i forget which; vduffy16@aol.com . Its a level 1 comp so i can't see why anyone with any type of shotgun can't shoot the match :good: Just don't expect to win if you're using a non-ejector SbS! :lol:

If you are going to shoot it, remember eye-protection as well as ears as the pellets can come back on you from the metal plates. Also take some work/builders gloves so when you're helping to reset the plates you don't get lead dust on your hands. You also want some kind of chamber flag if using a pump or semi - doesn't have to be anything fancy, a knotted cable tie will do. Other than that you just need your gun and lots of ammo. Some kind of cartridge belt makes loading easier than loose from a pocket/pouch but if its your first time its not essential.

I wouldn't have minded a look down there myself as i've not been before but i've been roped into an engagement party the night before and i doubt i'll be in any fit state :oops:

Yes sent them an email and I'm going to tag along on the 27th

:good: I should be there so say hello. I normally have a cream FullboreUK baseball cap on and a load of cameras strapped to me :rolleyes:

Can someone give me the address of Thurnscoe Club pls? Post code, street name, etc? Thx!

I've never been but you could either drop Vanessa an email (see previous posts) or email them direct thurnscoerifleclub@gmail.com

ATB

Mark

Edited by Breastman