Practical Shotgun Explained

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent video and looks very fun, answered all the questions i had and the headcam gave a great feel of it, thanks for posting! I'm looking to get into psg, now to find a club!

Glad you enjoyed it, you can make it somewhat transferable to pigeon shooting in that you can use the same loads and if you get the original endcap for you pump or semi auto you can use the same gun too. Makes it quite affordable.

Been wandering about this.

Get involved!

It's *great* fun. There's something very satisfying about knocking steels over.

Also, you don't *have* to take it too seriously:

Regards,

Mark.

I like that guys lever action, from what I've heard and seen though they don't tend to be too reliable! But yes its lots of fun for all abilities :)

I like that guys lever action, from what I've heard and seen though they don't tend to be too reliable!

The Chiappa's doin' just *fine*, thank you. As I understand it, the Norinco (Chinese) clones tend to be bit a bit hit-and-miss, quality-wise.

Lever-action shotguns are, I'll admit, a *leetle* harder to "run" than a pump-action or semi-auto shotgun. As a result - and this is certainly true in my case - "operator incompetance" errors tend to figure high on the list of reasons for poor stage times. (O'course, in *this* case, it was "failure to load the tacticool hat correctly" that was the root of the problem.)

I've had to use the Chiappa for the last year or so because I broke my other S.1 gun (a pump-action) - see my username...

Using a lever-action's not a *competitive* way to shoot PSG but it's a *shed-load* of fun. :)

Regards,

Mark.

I like that guys lever action, from what I've heard and seen though they don't tend to be too reliable!

But more reliable than the SXP perhaps? Get a pump actually made by Winchester. I have two, one over 40 years old and another over 80 years old; both function as good as the day they were made. :)

But more reliable than the SXP perhaps? Get a pump actually made by Winchester. I have two, one over 40 years old and another over 80 years old; both function as good as the day they were made. :)

Ah yes the mag tube incident! Well to be fair that is an aftermarket part not made by Winchester. It is true though that the SXP is made in turkey. It certainly is quite agricultural in the way it operates and is definitely not as smooth and well engineered as my friends Mossberg 600. But for £330 is does the job!

The 500 is ideal for practical, only possible downside is the lack of a choke system. But that can be remedied and only required for certain courses.

My 500 has a new 24 inch barrel with Accu-choke system so no problem there my problem is lack of a PSG Club in my area. Will just have to bite the bullet and travel home to England a couple times a year.

My 500 has a new 24 inch barrel with Accu-choke system so no problem there my problem is lack of a PSG Club in my area. Will just have to bite the bullet and travel home to England a couple times a year.

...or Crocketford

Is that Crocketford just outside Dumfries?

Yes, in an old quarry just outside the town passed the caravan/camp site

Last (shotgun) comp i did there, when my magazines started malfunctioning :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK4D7ZcyPrg

No clubs in North East though sadly, have a S1 shotgun already and would love to put it to more use.

The Mayfair Club in Sunderland run PSG shoots every last Saturday of the month (At a quarry near Pittington, Co. Durham). Contact the club first and i'm sure you'll be able to come along.

This was a while ago and while i film all of my PSG shooting this was just the last one i could be bothered to edit and post;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbVmcwZCk8I

Nt sure why the youtube vids aren't imbedding, annoying....

Edited by Breastman

Whoops catastrophic failure off the mag there! Hope you're okay!

Good vid as always but where was the Norton nemesis, the Texas star?

It's not in the container! If it was I would have gotten it out, I shall have to ask after that next time I'm at the club. I survived the malfunction but still don't have my shotgun back from Wild Bills. It's been a couple of weeks so I guess I had better give them a ring.

Yes, in an old quarry just outside the town passed the caravan/camp site

Last (shotgun) comp i did there, when my magazines started malfunctioning :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK4D7ZcyPrg

The Mayfair Club in Sunderland run PSG shoots every last Saturday of the month (At a quarry near Pittington, Co. Durham). Contact the club first and i'm sure you'll be able to come along.

This was a while ago and while i film all of my PSG shooting this was just the last one i could be bothered to edit and post;

I thought I recognised the name, I like your vids. You guys have some cool targets :)

Yeah I guess a lever action takes a while to bed in and become smooth to cycle?

I had a small problem with the gun and took it back to the dealer after about a year. His first comment, after working the action, was, "Have you slicked this up?" My reply was, "No, I've just *shot* it a lot."

It does seem a bit of a faff to load it

Yeah, it's not *fast* to load. In that video, I'd loaded six at the start*, I elected to finish off the last targets in a "load-one-shoot-one" fashion.

I was sat down and, thus, would've been "inconvenienced" if loading from the belt. In the event, of course, I fluffed the loading from the hat, as well.

but it looks very cool!

Indeed. :)

But more reliable than the SXP perhaps? Get a pump actually made by Winchester. I have two, one over 40 years old and another over 80 years old; both function as good as the day they were made.

I'm an "old gun" fan, too. In fact, the '1887 is the only gun that I've got that's less than thirty years old. (No Winchesters, though, I'm afraid.)

You guys have some cool targets

That's what *I* thought.

Mind you, *our* club sometimes shoot stages from within a caravan; *that's* pretty cool as well.. :)

Regards,

Mark.

*I only have a "half cock" safety on this gun so, although it'll take *seven* rounds in total, on Option 1 ("fully loaded") stages, I start Option 2 ("crusier ready") because many ROs don't like me lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber. (And neither do *I* - the hammer has no real spur to speak of...)

Ah, cheers for that. I might just send them an E-Mail and see about heading out there to give it a whirl. Pittington is only half an hour or so from me :) Not sure how my gun is going to compete against that Bora mind, seems blooming quick especially with the mag dumps and swaps.