Any hints on bed time

Lancs Lad

So, little lad had me up quite a bit last night....

We all went to bed around 11 ish.....Put the little lad in his bed, he kicked off for a bit, we then had a bout an hour and a half till 2am....

He was then up, kicking off big time........quite a cute howl....but wouldnt settle.

Ended up going down to him, giving him some milk and putting him back into his bed,,,,,stayed with him for a few mins near to his basket, then moved bit further away to the stair gate. Had to "drag" him back a few times after saying "bed" but he then got the idea, a few mins then over the gate, few mins then up the stairs, about 5 mins to the top and then it was back to bed.

Till 6 am............ (which aint bad as Im usualy up for 6.45 for work, and we will have to re-adjust times to take him out etc etc, so was thinking about 6 anway).

So, what are your hints about bed times and getting them to settle without little ones waking the whole house.

Understand he has got some settling in to do, how long does it usualy take.

I wouldn't give him milk.

You did the right thing to settle him down when you all went to bed, but its not a bad idea to take him outside first.

This just gets him in the habit.

If he cries and doesn't seem as though he will settle, you have to go to him, as soon as he settles again, go back to bed.

One of your woolly socks stuffed with newspaper would be a good comforter for him.

Thats always worked for us.

once he's in bed, i'd leave him there. the minute you go down, he'll learn you'll go down if he makes enough noise. best thing to do is ride it out. it shouldnt take too long.

an item of clothing that you have worn sometimes helps. or as LB said, leave a radio on.

they just like babys when we got are first pup it was just like having a baby again . we also found the radio work . and when we got her we took a bit of her mums blanket home to .same with children you have to be strong and not make to much fuss when they are playing you up .those first few weeks really got to me a couple of times . so much at i nearly took her back .i am so please that we did not .as she nearly a year old now .and is one of the most loveable loyal .and very much loved member of are family. plus we now have a other puppy to . you little one will soon get in the swing of things .and if she anything like my pup the next little prob you will have is the nipping . but they are all part of growing up and they will all pass so dont worry to much suzy xxx

Give him his last drink an hour before bedtime. Take him out to the toilet making sure he goes, then crate him, pop the radio on, wrap a hot water bottle in a blanket, and leave till a set time in the morning. Don't go down to him, as darbear says you're creating a rod for your own back, you'll have a puppy who thinks you're at it's beck and call.

You'll have some noisy nights, but soon you'll have a puppy who's happy to go to bed and has a routine.

With a bit of luck you should only 3 or 4 nights whining - just had the same with my pup once her 4 brothers left the kennel - she was home alone, even though the rest of my dogs are in adjoining kennels & runs. Found it better when I put a smaller box in the kennel for her & an old blanket. Could also try keeping him active for half hour or so just before you go to bed - might help tire him out a bit.

With a bit of luck you should only 3 or 4 nights whining - just had the same with my pup once her 4 brothers left the kennel - she was home alone, even though the rest of my dogs are in adjoining kennels & runs. Found it better when I put a smaller box in the kennel for her & an old blanket. Could also try keeping him active for half hour or so just before you go to bed - might help tire him out a bit.

Better wake the little ****** up now then........Hes getting his "power nap in"...

Im giving him LACTOL with his puppy feed, so give him a little bit of that for his "supper". Then its time out in the garden.

I did leave him with my fleece jacket that I use when I go out shooting, that helped, hes next to a radiator aswell so no hot water bottle required, we have left him at home with the radio on when weve been out shopping so might give that a bash.....just hope he likes radio 4 like his dad......

With our daughter we did the "timed withdrawl" method with the crying. He was booting off around 45 mins so thought that it was long enough.......

Ill report in tomrrow and let you all know how we got on...

Wifes going up to get my daughers "ticking clock" to see if that helps..

the idea of the hot water bottle wrapped in something is like being next to a litter mate like he's already been used to.

be careful having his bed next to a radiator. at least with a hot water bottle in the bed, he can move away from it when he gets too warm. he might not be able to get away from the radiator if he's crated next to it, and could become uncomfortable.

So, little lad had me up quite a bit last night....

We all went to bed around 11 ish.....Put the little lad in his bed, he kicked off for a bit, we then had a bout an hour and a half till 2am....

He was then up, kicking off big time........quite a cute howl....but wouldnt settle.

Ended up going down to him, giving him some milk and putting him back into his bed,,,,,stayed with him for a few mins near to his basket, then moved bit further away to the stair gate. Had to "drag" him back a few times after saying "bed" but he then got the idea, a few mins then over the gate, few mins then up the stairs, about 5 mins to the top and then it was back to bed.

Till 6 am............ (which aint bad as Im usualy up for 6.45 for work, and we will have to re-adjust times to take him out etc etc, so was thinking about 6 anway).

So, what are your hints about bed times and getting them to settle without little ones waking the whole house.

Understand he has got some settling in to do, how long does it usualy take.

"Little Lad" I wouldnt treat a little boy like that, you will get into trouble :good::good::good:

Seriously, have you tried an old fashioned wind up alarm clock with a loud tick, it has worked for us and doesn,t intrude on the rest of the house as a radio might, good luck.

:good: D2D

the idea of the hot water bottle wrapped in something is like being next to a litter mate like he's already been used to.

be careful having his bed next to a radiator. at least with a hot water bottle in the bed, he can move away from it when he gets too warm. he might not be able to get away from the radiator if he's crated next to it, and could become uncomfortable.

Ahhh...Good point....Ill turn the rad off tonight after its warmed up and put him down with the hot water bottle wrapped in my fleece jacket.

Last night wasnt that much of a difference, 2 clocks, was up around 1.30 but went back down again after I had cleaned up.

Was then up again at 4.

He tends to have a good snooze around this time, should I try keeping him awake during the last couple of hours before bed time.:good:?

He had his first Jab today, assume that this will have some "effect" on him.

Vet gave him a clean bill of health and commented on him being a nice pup..........Which was nice...... Got him booked in for his 2nd lot in 3 weeks........

Dying to get him out on a nice little walk in the country but know its a big NO NO......have to settle for trips around the garden I guess..

LancsLad,

Use the hotwater bottle, jumper,alarmclock, and stuffed toy to keep him company and if it you like place a light blanket over the crate to make it dark. Then close the door and go to bed give everyone ear plugs if you must, but if you continue to go down to him during the night, HE Will Continue To Train YOU To. It will get worse. Yes he will probably cry for a night or two but that should be it.

If you continue to go to him you will train him to expect someone to respond to his every cry, and when you are not there do to work or having gone out when he is older he will turn to taking his frustrations out on your house.

NTTF

Lancs

Good to learn of your recent exploits with Jasper. I was out with Captain Kelly on Sunday and was telling him about your new pup. Bill has had some cracking dogs over the years, but confessed to having not trained a pup.

I will be in touch after easter about working parties on the shoot, keep up the good work.

webber

Our Golden Retriever howled, barked and cried for the first two nights, but the wife and I used ear plugs and slept really well. The third night he was fine.

Although after about 8 months he was crying one night, which I thought was unusual, so I went downstairs and let him out. He ran down the garden and out of sight then after a short while came bounding back wanting to play. I put him back in his crate and went to bed. About an hour later he started crying again, so I popped in some ear plugs as I'm far too clever to fall for that old trick.

Feeling smug, I woke up at 6.00am as normal and came down the stairs to see a very unhappy Brown Retriever, brown walls, brown floor, brown crate, brown bookshelf and brown books. The poor little fella had a bad stomach and needed to be let out again.

Nothing like cleaning liquid dog poo off of your belongings at 6.00am to put you in the mood for work. :good:

Merman

LancsLad,

Use the hotwater bottle, jumper,alarmclock, and stuffed toy to keep him company and if it you like place a light blanket over the crate to make it dark. Then close the door and go to bed give everyone ear plugs if you must, but if you continue to go down to him during the night, HE Will Continue To Train YOU To. It will get worse. Yes he will probably cry for a night or two but that should be it.

If you continue to go to him you will train him to expect someone to respond to his every cry, and when you are not there do to work or having gone out when he is older he will turn to taking his frustrations out on your house.

NTTF

HI Dan,

Was wondering when you were going to instill your words of wisdom. He made it through to 4am today without getting up and making a fuss. Ive not gone down to him "whilst" he has been crying, waiting for a "lull" and then going down. Thought we almost cracked it, the noise level has dropped and isnt a full blown howl but a cry.

I re-filled his hot water bottle, let him out for a wee and then put him back down.

You say "Crate" - do you mean his cage, I am not using a "cage/crate" at bed time as I wasnt sure if this was wise.

I use the cage to move him around in the car, but thats it.

Is a cage better to use, at the moment he has got his dog bed, fluffy toy that we purchased that day we picked him up, my fleece, hot water bottle, clock. He is in the kitchen, its quite dark with only some ambient blue LEDS left on during the night.

He is currently wetting in the night - on the news paper that we have put down, and has left one stool on the floor in a different place.

Its not Huge puddles or anything but I wasnt to sure about "locking him up" in his cage, or is it the case that you "crate him" and leave his door open......

Im teaching him the "bed" command at the moment, I give it, let him get down, if he doesnt do it straight away I repeat it, then the tone is changed, if still not gone in by the 5th time, he gets scruffed and dragged to bed with a firm "BED" command.

I will only leave him and return to my own bed once he has "stayed there" and not got out, using a timed withdraw up the stairs, giving it to the count of ten and move up a step...repeat till im out of sight.

Am I going to create problems doing this or should I just leave him to give up. If so, what period of time is "normal"

LancsLad,

Eve Mate,The fact that you are waiting for a lull in the crying is a Good thing. The idea with the crate is to put him in and he should be good for the night. At 8 weeks he should be able to go 8 hrs through the night with out making a mess. Part of the reason that he is going through the night is he has a large area......the kitchen floor ........I have never understood the idea of teaching a pup to pee on paper in the house just to untrain it so it will go out side.

If he was mine......and this is up to you whether you want to go this route or not........I would shift his bedding into the crate, as he is use to this now, and put him in the crate at night closing the door. First thing in the morning I would get him out and immediately outside at which time I would give him the "go pee" command and praise him when he went. I would also continue with the day time house breaking, getting him out every 1/2 hour or so, right after playing or eating or when ever he wakes from a nap. At night feed him in the early evening.....around 5pm, and lift his water a good hour to hour and a half before bed, being sure to take him out and have him go right before bed.

You can still use the bed command when placing him in the crate as he will already associate his bedding with that command.

Keep up the good work and enjoy him,

NTTF

LancsLad,

Eve Mate,The fact that you are waiting for a lull in the crying is a Good thing. The idea with the crate is to put him in and he should be good for the night. At 8 weeks he should be able to go 8 hrs through the night with out making a mess. Part of the reason that he is going through the night is he has a large area......the kitchen floor ........I have never understood the idea of teaching a pup to pee on paper in the house just to untrain it so it will go out side.

If he was mine......and this is up to you whether you want to go this route or not........I would shift his bedding into the crate, as he is use to this now, and put him in the crate at night closing the door. First thing in the morning I would get him out and immediately outside at which time I would give him the "go pee" command and praise him when he went. I would also continue with the day time house breaking, getting him out every 1/2 hour or so, right after playing or eating or when ever he wakes from a nap. At night feed him in the early evening.....around 5pm, and lift his water a good hour to hour and a half before bed, being sure to take him out and have him go right before bed.

You can still use the bed command when placing him in the crate as he will already associate his bedding with that command.

Keep up the good work and enjoy him,

NTTF

Tried keeping him awake tonight managed to get to 9.45. We are going to bed in 10 mins. Ill grab his crate out of the car and put his bedding in there.

Ill give it a try tonight, his last feed was around 7 and he hasnt drunk any water................Although he has tried to get his nose into my White Grenache this evening.

Hes trying to have his power nap so I think now is a good time to put him down.

Lets see what happens this evening...

Cheers.

Ps,,,,,just how jealous are you... :rolleyes:

Well he went thru till about 1am and started, but I didnt go down and he got the message.

Was a bit worried about going downstairs and finding a more "chocolate" chocolate coloured cocker, but nothing.

Not even a wet patch in his crate.

let him out right away and he was off doing the buisness.

Will keep him crated again tonight and see what goes on from there....

Think we have cracked it....

Even though he is still having a power nap around 7pm he is going down ok and staying down till up time at 6.

Get some whining when he first gets put down, if he is still going after 10 mins he gets a shout of "Jasper to your bed" from up the stairs.

So, guys getting pups -

Keep em in their crate/cage and close the door.

Give em a hot water bottle.

Give em a stinky fleece jacket.

Give em a clock.

Job done....

Cheers for all of your advice............Next topic............NIPPING..

Think we have cracked it....

Even though he is still having a power nap around 7pm he is going down ok and staying down till up time at 6.

Get some whining when he first gets put down, if he is still going after 10 mins he gets a shout of "Jasper to your bed" from up the stairs.

So, guys getting pups -

Keep em in their crate/cage and close the door.

Give em a hot water bottle.

Give em a stinky fleece jacket.

Give em a clock.

Job done....

Cheers for all of your advice............Next topic............NIPPING..

It was an interesting "journey" glad you got there in the end, think of the years of pleasure you have to look forward to....... enjoy :lol:

:) D2D