A view on prong collars?

Sick cruel medieval devices used by people who shouldn't be allowed near a dog!!!! If you get a proper head collar it does the same job without the cruelty as everytime the animal pulls its head goes to the side and it goes in a circle. Any trainer who advocates the use of these devices should be avoided like the plague regardless of who or what he has trained before . Been around dogs my entire life , good and bad, old and new, rescue dogs and puppy's and never met anyone who has not been able to train a dog using the reward method and a head collar with a little patience thrown in. Next they will be telling you to use electric shock collars , my dad was an RSPCA inspector and a farmer and would rise from his grave and shoot me if he though I was resorting to the use of these things

Gave me a smile today at least,thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hadn't even heard of a prong collar before, but looked them up and instantly thought "WOW - that looks horrific" but then after reading more I would presume that if it was used responsibly and carefully to show a dog discomfort if pulling, I am sure it's not the worst thing - but I would expect it would be a last ditch attempt type thing.

But crikey, to look at pictures of them, makes you shudder.

And that is what its all about , it amazes me that something like that can be called barbaric , by the same people who would campaign to allow a fox to be torn up by a pack of hounds again ! ( please note I have nothing whatsoever against fox hunting ! )

Barbaric to me is the person who neglects and starves their pets not someone who will give it a moment of discomfort to get a long term result he desires.

And that is what its all about , it amazes me that something like that can be called barbaric , by the same people who would campaign to allow a fox to be torn up by a pack of hounds again ! ( please note I have nothing whatsoever against fox hunting ! )

Barbaric to me is the person who neglects and starves their pets not someone who will give it a moment of discomfort to get a long term result he desires.

Barbaric to me is the person that would shoot someone over the use of this very legal device.

Fairly harmless things. I'm sure the dog didn't mind too much.

Nice propaganda fella.Prong collars dont have anything on the back to cause this,should get a job with the RSPCA!

Will i post pics of crimes caused by legally held guns and start a petition to get them all banned?

Your sarcasm is wasted. You start whatever petition you want.

Perhaps you could explain what did cause the injuries, with your mega intelligence.

There you go - I resorted to sarcasm myself. Catching - isn't it? :whistling::whistling:

Edited by Gordon R

Perhaps you could explain what did cause the injuries, with your mega intelligence.

There you go - I resorted to sarcasm myself. Catching - isn't it? :whistling::whistling:

I dont know,maybe you are closer to the source of that propaganda considering you posted it!

No sarcasm here fella,just stating a fact that the bilge with that pic is the same bilge antis use to stop our legal activities regarding gun use but that seems to have gone over your heed!

:friends:

At a wild guess,and its not rocket science,i would hazard a guess that a dog fighting collar was to blame.

ASPCA%20nailed%20collar_zpsyyyadccf.jpg

Edited by sako751sg

If that was indeed caused by a prong collar then it is because it has not been used carefully or in a correct manner , unfortunately many things are just like guns , in the hands of a responsible person they are fine in the hands of a idiot they are not .

sako751sg - I picked up the photo off the internet - plenty of them.

Whilst you are in a mood to make snide remarks - learn to spell "head". It's not difficult.

No snide remarks here Gordon,just thinly disguised facts.

Ill start spelling heed the way you want when you start using , instead of -.

Anyway,stop going off topic and lets keep this rational with actual facts on thses collars and not any old pic from an anti kind of site.

I dont know,maybe you are closer to the source of that propaganda considering you posted it!

No sarcasm here fella,just stating a fact that the bilge with that pic is the same bilge antis use to stop our legal activities regarding gun use but that seems to have gone over your heed!

:friends:

At a wild guess,and its not rocket science,i would hazard a guess that a dog fighting collar was to blame.

ASPCA%20nailed%20collar_zpsyyyadccf.jpg

I can assure you there is no such thing as a "dog fighting collar". That is RSPCA talk.

Whilst I respect members views on an obviously emotive subject, I have to agree with Sako751 comment.

Prong collars dont have anything on the back to cause this

Just spent the best part of 10mins to find the one I bought years ago, photo below, clearly showing no prongs on the back.

Also, the distance between the wounds on the dogs neck are uniform, (photo)

by the very nature of the design of the prong collar, the distance should decrease from the front of the dogs neck towards the back of it's neck.

PRONG_COLLAR.jpg

Edited by Bazooka Joe

Some good trolling indeed.

I can assure you there is no such thing as a "dog fighting collar". That is RSPCA talk.

I can assure you there is

Having two scum nephews who used to cut the ears off and organise dog fights and got banged up for it,i know there is.

sako751sg - I picked up the photo off the internet - plenty of them.

Whilst you are in a mood to make snide remarks - learn to spell "head". It's not difficult.

Somebody else who never has or never will have a "typo"

Hits not me I all ways use spell cheque :good:

Edited by daveboy

P4A

You may have got more than you bargained for from your initial post.

I would never use one.

Your dog is only six months old and as yet he has not developed a brain. Give him time before considering the other options.

I can assure you there is no such thing as a "dog fighting collar". How would such a thing work anyway?.

Having two scum nephews who used to cut the ears off and organise dog fights and got banged up for it,i know there is.

I can assure you there is no such thing as a "dog fighting collar". How would such a thing work anyway?.

I think you are asking how it works?

It agitates the dug to get it wound up apparently.

Now,granted,maybe at one time there wasnt such a thing but when these breed of scum hear there is such a thing they try it.