Sparrow hawk

Shooterluke

At my mams for tea in her back garden theres a row of 7ft conifers just seen a sparrow hawk land on the top of them start flapping its wings to make a comotain wait while a couple off black birds come running out and stop then it jumps off the top straight onto one then flys off with it still flapping never seen one do that before seen them swoop down on little song birds but never that behavouir

Edited by Shooterluke

Clever........ saw one with a blackbird in its grasp, it was going off like a car alarm, took a long time to die tho :unhappy: !

Love seeing sparrowhawks here in devon, they jink over hedges in front of the car and will fly just inches above the tarmac, disappearing as quickly as they appeared.....magic.

Clever........ saw one with a blackbird in its grasp, it was going off like a car alarm, took a long time to die tho :unhappy: !

Love seeing sparrowhawks here in devon, they jink over hedges in front of the car and will fly just inches above the tarmac, disappearing as quickly as they appeared.....magic.

Clever but hateful, no matter how fast I drive at then I never hit one !

I was sitting in my mother's house, the kitchen. The door was open a sparrow flew in through the door, closely followed by a sparrowhawk. The sparrow flew back out the door the sparrowhawk flew at the window breaking its neck, true story. PS The sparrow hawk in my mates house stuffed.

Like to eat their prey alive, just pin their quarry down and start pulling off little bits of meat. I Picked up a redleg partridge once that had one entire half of its chest eaten away down to ten breast bone yet still had its head up. They also decimate grey partridge in the spring when they pair up.

A few years ago four in a matter of week flew into my release pen netting and killed themselves. Put a smile on my face every time I picked up a body. Never happened since.

Far too many about round here decimating song birds and as Scolopax says, partridge numbers.The sooner they are on the GL the better.

I can never understand how people can support the killing of Magpies, but refuse to accept that Sparrowhawks do far more harm to songbird numbers.

For some of a certain generation one hawk is one too many and for others younger, who may have never seen them as a countryside bird in the past, the hawk’s recent success is something of note.

Judging by the disgraceful display of pot shots at spar’hawks that I’ve seen on some small shoots, incidentally all by BASC members, I guess the hawk’s ability to fly fast is far beyond the ability of you old farts to shoot them, lol

For some of a certain generation one hawk is one too many and for others younger, who may have never seen them as a countryside bird in the past, the hawk’s recent success is something of note.
Judging by the disgraceful display of pot shots at spar’hawks that I’ve seen on some small shoots, incidentally all by BASC members, I guess the hawk’s ability to fly fast is far beyond the ability of you old farts to shoot them, lol

old #### talking (musnt swear keep getting told off) I love to see bop and the sparrow hawk is welcome to whatever it wants, if they want more songbirds plant more hedges

Magpies kill more songbirds than Sparrowhawks by a mile-the S/hawk is far more rare and its numbers are dependant on quarry numbers-if the food source dries up the hawks die-magpies, on the other hand, will live off anything and their numbers are way out of control.Full pelt-please invite me along to a shoot where idiots take shots at BOP-or do the decent thing and report them.