land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

concern No 2.

on the o/s the front wheel seems to stick out about 3" further than the back wheel and i dont think its just a case of the front tyre being bigger,

on the n/s picture it looks ok looking at it althought the picture makes it look worse,

should i be worried?

post-9513-0-49705900-1451493322_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-66216000-1451493330_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-14560200-1451493376_thumb.jpg

no spacers on but will check them all tomorrow, and as for the check straps where they should go round the axle there is the springs, unless i pull them out a bit at the bottom to go round the axle, what are they even for? iv looked at loads of pics recently at new chassis, new springs, new rebuilds and not many have bothered to even bother with them, obviously i want them on, (iv bought them now) :lol::lol:

post-9513-0-28651100-1451496470_thumb.png

Have you watched a 4x4 is born?

I'm sure the wheel alignment issue is covered on that.

i watched it on youtube a while ago but half of them were missing, i will watch them again thought as i really enjoyed it. :good:

There you go buddy,

cheers mate i will give it ago tomorrow. :good::good:

iv a a slight concern here and cant work out how its happened or if it will correct its self or not, but when you look across the front axle it doesn't seem to sit straight along the top??

Are both spring spigots in holes. Were the 4 u/bolts all identical or did 1 have a slightly different shape

Just popped out and had a look, through the mud and crud it looks like,o/s, inboard, ie nearest the engine. Flatter top and slightly longer.

cheers mate i will check it out tomorrow, why is it a different shape and longer?

lee

Check the offset of the wheel rims :|:yes:

i dont understand that Tam :hmm:

thanks,

lee

Hi

I have been following your post and you are doing a great job, well done!

Saw your worries last night and dont really understand what may be wrong but...

cheers mate i will check it out tomorrow, why is it a different shape and longer?

It is to suit the shape of the axle casing, it is deeper at that point with a flat, not rounded top.

i dont understand that Tam :hmm:

If the wheel rims are different and dont have matching offsets, they will stick out from the hubs at different distances. As far as I can remember, standard landrover rims fitted on series 3 have an overall track of 5'4", so if you measured from the centreline of the chassis to centre of tyre, you should have 32" on each corner. Hope this may throw a little light on your problem.

As for the check straps, they do just come of the mounting bracket and loop directly round the underside of the axle and back up. I never bothered with them though (usually cut em off) as it did limit axle articulation off road and worked against the added reach gained using parabolic springs + long reach gas shockers. By the way, it looks to me like you are using the standard shocks? Are these ok with your springs, as they do work harder than with standard springs and may overheat.

Keep up the good work

ATB