land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Single line usually means from the brake cylinder one pipe to each front brake and one pipe along to chassis where the pipe splits at a T junction on te rear axle to each rear wheel.

They are usually quite straight forward to change but make sure you have the absolute corect spanner size for the joints otherwise you will round the nuts.

Also - getting the flex hose unions undone from chassis to rear axle is a right sod. I cut mine off at the fixing bolt anf repalced the bracket as well as the flex hose and a new T piece, much quicker and easier.

thanks mate.

ill be having a mate help with the brakes so he can have all the problems.

this is the set i was looking at, is this the full lot and is it ok withe the servo?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321128907055?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thanks.

lee

does anyone know what the oil seal is called thats in here please

post-9513-0-54358300-1447609095_thumb.png

That's the diff pinion oil seal

Brakes... Look at the master cylinder, single line system has just one pipe coming out of the master cylinder, split system will have 2

thanks paul i will have a look tomorrow.

How much was your rad panel as I need one. Mine is not too rotten but may as well stick a new one on before it gets painted.

it was £170 but it has a radiator with it,so i can see the radiator and my old radiator panel and recoup a few quid. there is another on on ebay but its buy it now and £250,

there is also one on that has been fixed and looks good, start price of £50 but i recon it will do at least £100, ill send you a link to it if you like.

Being a Landrover enthusiast myself and I dare say a few following this thread, which I add is very interesting having restored a couple myself, I thought I would share something that may interest some. I now own a defender td5 and with prices increasing on defenders generally I sometimes flick through flea bay to see what they are fetching. Prices are ranging anything between 5 to 10k so when I see nice looking truck for classified price of 3k I investigate to read description, turns out there are quite a few on there, I noticed 4 for sale all with similar written description, I smell a rat myself. Any one else noticed it? Just seems to good to be true?

yes they all looked ok no chips,

backlash?? *** is that,

when i do some things i always get advice of my mate, and before anything gets put back together he always has to pass it first, or if i feel i dont know what im doing i either check or leave it for him, amateur tinkler i am,but im learning and loving it :good:

yes they all looked ok no chips,

backlash?? *** is that,

when i do some things i always get advice of my mate, and before anything gets put back together he always has to pass it first, or if i feel i dont know what im doing i either check or leave it for him, amateur tinkler i am,but im learning and loving it :good:

good for you.thats how it should be...then you pass your knowledge onto someone else....thats how it has been working for millions of years....

BACKLASH........is the movement between the pinion gear and the crown gear on the diff and is altered or adjusted by the addition or removal of shims against the bearings.........if the "backlash" is correct it will lessen the whip in the transmission train and also get rid of the landrover "death knock"....that horrible "clunck" as you engage gears

tooo much backlash and you get the death knock......too little and it will wear the gears and put wear or stress on the drive train...........its an easy operation to check and adjust.........

not much done this week, been to busy at work and only had a couple of hours this weekend, need the chassis now really and with a bit of luck that could be this week :good:

just got first coat of paint on one of the axles the other still needs putting back together, and just tarting the old radiator panel up to a decent state before it goes on ebay :yes:

post-9513-0-51340800-1448204965_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-97686500-1448204972_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-92893100-1448204996_thumb.jpg

That one on eBay I told you about finished earlier for £137. I knew that would go over £100. Iv seen some poor ones sell for between £40-£70. Decent ones for £80-£137. I'd put mine in the region of £80-£100 as it will be spot on when I'm done with it. Only eBay will know it's true value.