land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

i found a pinprik hole in the front of my rad yesterday................so that will have to come off and i will solder it............im lookinh for some of the old type electrical solder ...fluxed and has lead in it ...you havnt got any have you..........all the new stuff is "lead free" or summat.....it dont run very well......

Edited by ditchman

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21st august, iv pretty much given up hope now, even if it was done by then id still need to send paperwork off to DVLA to register it in this country and for it to be assigned a reg plate, and before i can do that it has to be finished, MOT'D and taxed, spoke to bloke at MOT station and he can MOT it via the engine/chassis number, but god knows how im going to tax it, or even insure it to drive it down there, without getting my hands on a trailer, :no::no:

i found a pinprik hole in the front of my rad yesterday................so that will have to come off and i will solder it............im lookinh for some of the old type electrical solder ...fluxed and has lead in it ...you havnt got any have you..........all the new stuff is "lead free" or summat.....it dont run very well......

dont have anything like that im afraid simon, although i think i may of spotted a little hole in mine, bad light so i will look tomorrow, so you get some solder and if i need some i can use yours :lol::lol::lol::lol:

question.

when you paint things that are going to get hot you use UHT paint like i did on my engine, and exhaust manifold, and head, im now thinking about when i paint the radiator, and im just wondering do you have to or is there such a thing of UHT primer :hmm::hmm::hmm:

if there is and you should use it, im screwed :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Here you go Ditchman....Screwfix

I'm sure I have some in the shed if you only need a enough to fill the hole and don't really want to buy some.

if it is "proper" solder i will get some..

dont suppose you have a soldering iron too do you :lol::lol:

im going to get a heavy duty one...cant use those footling little lecky ones...

well the story so far is... my mates going on holiday in a few days for 2 weeks so hes coming tomorrow for the afternoon, and full day monday and maybe tuesday, need engine finishing, wiring loom in place,prop and exhaust putting on, brakes finishing, so that when hes away i can start putting it back together as should get rear tub back tuesday or wednesday, so hopfully come next weekend i should be able to show you good folk a two thirds rebuilt land rover :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: thats if everything goes to plan :good::good::good:

well as usual today did not go to plan, got let down by my mate again, he got stick doing a clutch on a VW camper van, so what should of been this afternoon, full day monday and tuesday has now changed to tea time tomorrow for a couple or 3 hours and a full day tuesday, :no::no:

so i st to work on the dash, iv messed about with it and cleaned it up before but iv always known it wasnt good enough, so had it in bits again today, well the bottom part anyway.

got all my new nuts bolts screws out and what not, all bagged up nicely but hard to work out whats what and what goes where, and even harder all the writing is rubbing off the bags and some are covered in primer and paint :lol::lol: first job was to get the front panel back on to the top bit of the dash, the put the clock housing on followed by the front vent handels, sounds easy but took 2 hours in all :unhappy: , then i started on the lover dash, underneath th e tatty parcel shelf was a sheet of metal for it to sit and screw on to, that was rusty and looked bad, but saying that only 4-5 inch of it was seen as the parcel shelf sat on most of it, went over it with the wire wheel but a lot was badly pitted, i thought of getting the grinder out but the metal was probably 2mm thick so didnt risk it, primed and painted :good::good: washed the parcel shelf with alsorts of things but wouldnt come up clean so out come the spray paint i got for plastics, just gave it a quick blow over, looks much better now/so far.

bottom dash doesnt look to bad in most places but where it screws to the bulkhead at the bottom edge the trim is beggered, so im going to take it to the bloke whos doing my head lining to see if he can re-cover the dash, (slowly but surly) :lol::lol::lol::lol:

post-9513-0-33740700-1469978761_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-45889500-1469978773_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-10298200-1469978800_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-79105300-1469978811_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-16770500-1469978841_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-16065700-1469978846_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-80541200-1469978907_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-55534500-1469978933_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-65709900-1469978990_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-28005800-1469978996_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-49236400-1469979016_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-45243400-1469979021_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-30271500-1469979044_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-54655800-1469979054_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking

All be worth it when the silverware is on top of the telly :lol:

I have been looking at roof tents today, might have to invest in one for the 90. Spent the day refurbing the seats but i can't get the locking strip to meet so it is a trip to the upholsterers in the morning.

Or there working so hard on it that they have now lost track of time and are like zombies working living on the fumes of oil and spray paint. He might surface in a the next 24 hrs and show us all a finished project. Watch this space....

well FS you are nearly right, instead of the two and a half days off my mate, turned out to be 3/4 hours, on tuesday, pretty much all that was done was the brakes finished, alternator back on and had ago at fitting the handbrake jobby but ended up a few parts missing like clevis pins, mounting plate and a spring.didnt have any bolts for the propshaft either, and to top it all off despite being promised the rear tub would be ready for picking up on tuesday, it wasnt, and still isnt, and my mate is now on holiday for 2 weeks,

kept meaning to post yesterday but i was to ****** off, the classic car show is well and truly out the window now, not that im overly bothered about that but it would of been nice,

but saying that there is still plenty to do whilst hes away, all the cappings and lights to go on the rear tub when its back, have it all carpeted out, need to get seats out and taken for cleaning, still got to take roof lining to get made, when i think about it now it was never going to be ready for the 21st, who was i kidding, bonnet,back door,sides and the roofs still need painting, at this rate i will be putting it in the car show in 2017 :lol::lol::lol: spent 3 hours last night looking through parts manual getting numbers and then trying to find the parts, a few things for the handbrake, some more clevis pins for accelerator cable, some nuts and bolts, hooks and wingnuts for battery holder, battery holder top,some clamps for the exhaust manifold where it fixes to the head, little pipe for the clutch master cylinder,and then all the engine oil,gearbox oil, hub oil/grease brake fluid.

only thing i couldnt find was a new fuel pipe set, if there is such a thing and just about every part of the existing one had been bodged,

so all in all iv not been a happy chappy :no::no:

post-9513-0-31255200-1470258777_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-34718700-1470258788_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-18116200-1470258820_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-84577900-1470258826_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-19604000-1470258855_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-27902900-1470258863_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-27159400-1470258907_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-18854200-1470258914_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-08980800-1470258939_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-02434400-1470258946_thumb.jpg

see, im that ****** off that iv not even bothered to check my photos are the right way round :lol::lol:

Well done Viking, grit your teeth and keep going :good:

BTW, when will you re-gas the air conditioning unit ? :lol:

doing that tomorrow with the flux capacitor seals :good::good::good::good:

think thats the ronan brown they did, and thats something iv noticed before on a few series 3's on the side of the rear tub it has the things so you can tie down the soft top, wonder if some had this option or are they converted soft tops of just add ons :hmm::hmm:

think thats the ronan brown they did, and thats something iv noticed before on a few series 3's on the side of the rear tub it has the things so you can tie down the soft top, wonder if some had this option or are they converted soft tops of just add ons :hmm::hmm:

I see, slightly darker

Mine was a hard top and had those on, in fact all my S3 had them