Article on grouse shooting in daily rag

Theres a truly awful article in the daily record by a mr avery about grouse shooting and the impact on raptors by gamekeepers. In one part He decribes beaters as 'poor people' unreal honestly. I dont want to post a link as to publicise the rag is the last thing i want. Another truly vile attempt to damage our sport.

Sounds like he has a huge chip on his shoulder, shooting elite, staying with a lord and the poor beaters. I've never read such trash and I've never shot a Grouse. Ex employee of the RSPB......need we say more.

Just for others information

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/inglorious-12th-true-cost-grouse-6217048

Edited by Livefast123

What has happened to balanced reporting in our media?? I have never read so much tripe since i last read a s*n. beaters are 'poor people'...really? Has mr avery heard of working class citizens?? I think its he who is the snob in all this. Yes the gamekeeper was caught and rightfully punished but please do not tar all gamekeepers by this brush. Its like me saying all lords have sex with hookers and snort coke off them (allegedly of course). And no driven grouse shooting does not only happen in the uk. A small search into this by the writer would show that it happens from north america and across europe. Are all those people in america snobs too? The ecological or land managment in recent years by basc and numerous others need highlighted. Moors are not managed solely for grouse. Please feel free to balance your articles but i feel theres as much chance of that as me getting lordship and...well you know the rest.

Sent from my Sony Xperia smar

I'm pretty sure u don't get driven grouse shooting in any other country. Definately not red grouse, in europe it tends to be willow grouse (some argument they are the same species) generally over pointers or walked up.

There is no doubt shooting driven grouse in August is only a sport for the very rich (or very lucky) and it's true the beaters are generally poor/poorer but if the're was no gouse shooting the beaters would be even poorer!

I have been involved with beating for 30 odd years and used to normal wealthy people/local land owners but when u get involved with grouse shooting the money involved is massive, completely different league, and off all the grouse shooters i've met (beat/picked up for) they tend to be very knowledgeable about shooting and grouse and are some of the best markers of fallen birds, if they say there is a bird down there generally is; not allways the case on pheasant shoots, infact normally not the case

I know some valleys/dales where school kids will be out 4 or 5 days a week from the 12th till school holidays finish, really good pocket money for a kid.

His article is mainly ******** with the odd bit of truth, wildlife crime is at an all time low, BoP are mainly at an all time high (althou kestrals are struggling due to the ammount of buzzards now)

Most off his arguments over burning are more to do with shepherds burning large areas for sheep in 1 go, grouse keepers want small areas with a good mix of heather ages and usually will burn every 10-15 year rotation, most grouse moors the heather and peat is in excellent nick and many are now replanting/seeding new heather to recover after overgrazing by sheep, costs a fortune and takes ages to grow, that would not happen with no grouse shooting

But Basc/SGA really should be onto the press depts quick to get the facts accross.

Althou might not need to ban it this year, doubt they're will be that many moors in scotland shooting much this year, even a few english ones will be having a year off, they've had a terrible breeding season this year

Reply from alex hogg sacs chairman.

Hello Gordon,

I was asked for a comment for the Sunday Mail and Daily Record, but my words were seemingly unprintable to their sensitive eyes. We have written to the editor.

I had a long chat with a Sunday Mail journo (same company as Record) last week when we nailed the Peter Swales and Cecil the Lion story and had a comment published in both papers, Telegraph, Times and Daily Mail. After 20 minutes he was on side with the fact that most of those who shoot, hunt and fish are ordinary folk and my voice and arguments as a working loon from Skye was valid in defence of sustainable grouse shooting and big game hunting.

We face many challenges; currently flat out 7 days with firearms licensing representation for members and are working hard to create budget for greater press/media work. Once internal restructuring is complete we need to have a serious think about how to best take SACS forward for its members. Time to be more proactive.

Thanks for your support.

Reply from alex hogg sacs chairman.

Hello Gordon,

I was asked for a comment for the Sunday Mail and Daily Record, but my words were seemingly unprintable to their sensitive eyes. We have written to the editor.

I had a long chat with a Sunday Mail journo (same company as Record) last week when we nailed the Peter Swales and Cecil the Lion story and had a comment published in both papers, Telegraph, Times and Daily Mail. After 20 minutes he was on side with the fact that most of those who shoot, hunt and fish are ordinary folk and my voice and arguments as a working loon from Skye was valid in defence of sustainable grouse shooting and big game hunting.

We face many challenges; currently flat out 7 days with firearms licensing representation for members and are working hard to create budget for greater press/media work. Once internal restructuring is complete we need to have a serious think about how to best take SACS forward for its members. Time to be more proactive.

Thanks for your support.

Good for them and well done you. If nobody responds to **** printed in the media then only one side of the story gets heard, assuming OUR side of the story is printed also,

Grouse group highlights 'benefits' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33878251

It's a bit more balanced than the other article written by Mark Avery. Although it still is a little one sided as, again, it concentrates on the illegal shooting of "Annie" the hen harrier (Again the press putting a personal touch on the reporting to pull on the heart strings of the masses), probably in the hope that it will help put presure on the SMP'S to bring in licencing of the grouse moors. More red tape that the keeper's don't need. I'm sure the keeper's are doing more than enough to protect the moorland and the licencing is only going to be more of a paper exercise than a practical solution.

I have been lucky enough to have a day shooting on a grouse moor with a few of my pals 2 year's ago. I am just a humble bus/coach driver/fitter working for a small company, so am not a member of the landed gentry. We just saved a few quid here and there. We are planning and saving for another day on the glorious 12th the 2017 season if the politics doesn't get in the way first.

Yes it is expensive if you go for the big bag days but it only works out around twice the price for the same size bag of a driven pheasant day.

Reports of shoots being cancelled this season, shows the keeper's and landowners commitment to sustaining the grouse population. It has to be kicking them in the pockets with the lost revenue, but they want the stocks to be there for the seasons to come.

Good luck to any of you who are out today and the rest of the season.