Closed season on canadian geese?

popa bear

No a gl could be isdued on any bird in theory

A special licence just the same

In practice is a different thing

Wildfowl and game are different but although we havent seen it yet a gl could be issued on say partridges

In this unlikely event you could shoot partrige in june if you complied witj he terms of the licence yet still shoot the normal season for sport and food

What you couldnt do is shoot in june for sport or food

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please read and read then understand the Law correctly Canada Geese " ARE NOT VERMIN " there have always been and still are Classed a " WILDFOWL " and covered by WILDFOWL laws eg You can NOT use a Shotgun capable of holding more than ONE cartridge in the chamber and TWO in the magazine and you have to use NON TOXIC SHOT

Surely even you can see if they was VERMIN the semi auto and non toxic rule would not apply

I thought you would be able to use an FAC shotgun, I`ve taken relevant sections just to show you what the Act states.

(b) Goose, Canada Branta canadensis

Parakeet, Monk Myiopsitta monachus

Parakeet, Ring-necked Psittacula krameri

Egyptian goose Alopochen aegyptiacus

ii. and when acting under ‘i’ above to use any of the following methods prohibited by Section 5 of the 1981 Act:

(a) a semi-automatic weapon

"Semi-automatic weapon" means any weapon which is not prohibited by section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) and which has a magazine capable of holding more than two rounds of ammunition, where the depression of the trigger discharges a single shot and reloads the next, each subsequent shot requiring a further depression of the trigger.

You can indeed use a semi auto to shoot Canada Geese when shooting them under the GL.

TIN 009 makes this clear...............

Prohibited methods Certain methods of killing and taking birds are prohibited. These include the use of nets, automatic and semi-automatic weapons, and poisoned or stupefying substances. For full details see Section 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Anyone seeking to use a prohibited method must apply for a licence from Natural England.

The GL gives such authority.

Malantone.

Correct and have a read of PROHIBITED weapons eg you can not use

I had a rough idea of the definition of PROHIBITED but thanks for making it clear.

do you have a page number?? HOW COME THE GL SAYS I CAN USE THE AUTO FAC ??????

I personally believe we are getting our wires crossed as I've only been trying to point out you can't just go Willy nilly shooting Canada Geese and they are still classed as Wildfowl so still some Wildfowl law's.

Eg If you or indeed anyone with a FAC Shotgun was Pigeon shooting and a Skein of Canada Geese came over would you feel/think you are legally allowed to shoot them or if you/anyone was invited to shoot Canada Geese FLIGHTING from eg a estuary/Foreshore again do you feel/think you can legally shoot them with a FAC Shotgun.

I'm not perfect or indeed know every Law regarding shooting but I have for nigh on the last 40 yrs dealt with Ministry of agricultural and fisheries- DEFRA and natural England regarding Goose licences mainly for Brent Geese.

I must admit I find them all a mind field eg with a Brent Licence although restricted to numbers allowed to be shot mine have run from 1st November till 30th April and you can shoot them on Sunday even in county's that doesn't allow Sunday shooting of Wildfowl.

Another during a hard weather Wildfowl shooting ban you can get a Licence to shoot Pinkfeet and Greylag Geese.

Just my opinion but if needs must I would prefer to have the system where you have to do as the Brent Licence. Prove the damage have numbers fixed and only named shooters to carry out the control.

Hopefully then the Geese and system would not be abused and no grey areas where people think there right others think there wrong as the situation is with the Canada Geese.

I've not ever tried to offend yourself or any other But it does really get under my skin people using/reading the Law to suit there needs to wack the Poo out of Canada Geese or indeed anything.

I apologise if yourself or indeed any member felt it was a personal attack as it was not

If people managed things in the sept to jan period there would be no need

Its not my ecperiance about the special licence

First application perhaps as each needs assesing thereafter though its straight forward as long as last years cull achieved and paperwork done

100 % agree Kent

And in over 40+ years of Goose shooting I've NEVER had to shoot ONE out of season.

Done plenty of Non Leathful methods eg walking of with Dogs putting up Scarers and flagging.

IMHO to many trigger happy people out there and not a lot willing to put the effort in so take the easy option.

Edited by 6.5x55SE

Every year on here as soon as the wildfowling season is over there are people posting for advice because " they really need to shoot canadas " that are causing problems !

They have had several months to do it in the traditional season .

I think many just want a large target with feathers and really have no need to shoot them other than the fact they want to and can do .

100 % agree Kent

And in over 40+ years of Goose shooting I've NEVER had to shoot ONE out of season.

Done plenty of Non Leathful methods eg walking of with Dogs putting up Scarers and flagging.

IMHO to many trigger happy people out there and not a lot willing to put the effort in so take the easy option.

Or excuse! I have refused after offering season applicable culling

Ok there is always someone who will but thats for thier consionance not mine

for thier consionance not mine

the fact they want to and can do .

Why should anyone have a conscience? Canadas are on the PEST LIST and if they are causing a nuisance they can be destroyed including nests and young in order to control them, you don`t have to use alternative methods either, as they are an alien invasive species.

Just like the Grey squirrel, they get killed all year round and no one says a word against it. people shoot them both because they want to and can do.

Every year on here as soon as the wildfowling season is over there are people posting for advice because " they really need to shoot canadas " that are causing problems !

They have had several months to do it in the traditional season .

I think many just want a large target with feathers and really have no need to shoot them other than the fact they want to and can do .

+1

Some people in my opinion are too interested purely in the killing rather than the why.

for thier consionance not mine

the fact they want to and can do .

Why should anyone have a conscience? Canadas are on the PEST LIST and if they are causing a nuisance they can be destroyed including nests and young in order to control them, you don`t have to use alternative methods either, as they are an alien invasive species.

Just like the Grey squirrel, they get killed all year round and no one says a word against it. people shoot them both because they want to and can do.

This truly represents the issue

One needs to be aware of the real facts like canadas displace and threaten the survival of nothing much else. The most they do is compete for breeding space

They are a bird not a mammal and ALL BIRDS ARE PROTECTED IN LAW

A goose born this summer likely won't breed till its three years old has one brood per season (not always successfully so it's likely 4 or 5 before it replaces itself) comparing to a squirrel is totally the wrong comparison

Sorry I don't mean to insult but you need to do some research

Most I know and shoot with hold very different views and certainly don't want to see any birds gone and have great respect and knowledge of thier quarry

If the guns of tomorrow lack this the sport will disappear

The Canada always seems to be an emotional subject with varying views, usually narrow views, they can be a serious issue in many parts of the country and have come to be far more than a Wildfowling Sport Goose.

Anyone who shoots should know their way round the GL and stick to it, but those that advocate a Full Close Season and removal from the GL really are a little blinkered.

post-20848-0-30484200-1441450326_thumb.jpg

The vast majority of this lot are Canada, a sight that is repeated all along the Thames and on Golf courses, Stables, estates, etc, etc in my part of the country. There is nothing sporting about shooting them, it is simply bulk Pest Control and a loosing battle!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

This truly represents the issue

One needs to be aware of the real facts like canadas displace and threaten the survival of nothing much else. The most they do is compete for breeding space

They are a bird not a mammal and ALL BIRDS ARE PROTECTED IN LAW

A goose born this summer likely won't breed till its three years old has one brood per season (not always successfully so it's likely 4 or 5 before it replaces itself) comparing to a squirrel is totally the wrong comparison

Sorry I don't mean to insult but you need to do some research

Most I know and shoot with hold very different views and certainly don't want to see any birds gone and have great respect and knowledge of thier quarry

If the guns of tomorrow lack this the sport will disappear

I don`t need to do any research, the matter is quite clear, a lot off the wildfowling fraternity have the view that Canadas should not be on the pest list. The fact is they are, and as such have no closed season and can be shot all year round in order to stop crop damage etc. you may not like it but there it is.

as an aside I have never shot a Canada goose but if I was asked to then it would be done.

I don`t need to do any research, the matter is quite clear, a lot off the wildfowling fraternity have the view that Canadas should not be on the pest list. The fact is they are, and as such have no closed season and can be shot all year round in order to stop crop damage etc. you may not like it but there it is.

as an aside I have never shot a Canada goose but if I was asked to then it would be done.

I should recommend you do and read through the above as they certainly do have s closed season. Gl is just a less administration version of a sl

It's reviewed annually from counts or refused there is no pest list as such for any bird all birds are protected unless in season

https://www.gov.uk/g...ease__GL04_.pdf

If you read the above link you will see there is a list of native birds which are considered PESTS, there is also a list of non native birds which are also considered PESTS, Both lists can be shot all year round and also have their nests and young destroyed, providing certain caveats are followed, as a wildfowler you may not like it but there it is, I`m tired of this pointless argument now, no doubt you`ll have the last pointless word.

Anyone with experience of having even a pair of resident Canadas on their land will know that they are extremely aggressive towards other birds - that's why I shoot them. I prefer to shoot bigger numbers over the winter, but if they are required to be completely removed then a professional pest controller will tell you that destroying eggs is the best way to go about it.

Anyone with experience of having even a pair of resident Canadas on their land will know that they are extremely aggressive towards other birds - that's why I shoot them. I prefer to shoot bigger numbers over the winter, but if they are required to be completely removed then a professional pest controller will tell you that destroying eggs is the best way to go about it.

I didn't realise that destroing the eggs also killed the adults, learn something new every day.

https://www.gov.uk/g...ease__GL04_.pdf

If you read the above link you will see there is a list of native birds which are considered PESTS, there is also a list of non native birds which are also considered PESTS, Both lists can be shot all year round and also have their nests and young destroyed, providing certain caveats are followed, as a wildfowler you may not like it but there it is, I`m tired of this pointless argument now, no doubt you`ll have the last pointless word.

Link doesn't work but pink footed. Brent, Whitecroft bean and many other geese are not native but many of those cannot be shot period season or not. Most of our native wildlife is introduced or re introduced certainly regards deer

Were a thing comes from is no good reason