Camping in SW France

TaxiDriver

Bear with me as I'm not sure exactly what I'm after asking,

Has / Does anyone drive down to SW France, How long does it take and how difficult to navigate ?

Is it more realistic to make an overnight stop along the way, is it easy to come across a touring site without pre booking.

We're thinking of a Eurocamp site and either driving down, (not sure if my car is upto it) Or flying to nearest airport and hiring a car. It might seem daft but I wouldn't mind driving down, for the experience and sightseeing but don't really want to do much driving whilst away, So the fly drive option seems a bit of a waste of a hire car :unsure:

I've just got back from 2 weeks in the Vendee which is about half way down on the western coast, towed our twin axle caravan down there. Driving in France is a doddle, much easier than at home. You can either use the very fast and empty toll roads or the local a roads. Both are in much better nick than roads over here.

I would recommend the Portsmouth to St Malo ferry, more expensive but cuts out a lot of driving and its an over night ferry so you can get a cabin and get your head down. If you want to down to somewhere like Biaritz in one go, its doable but its a long drive, think 10 hrs plus on the French side alone if you go to Calais. I would suggest a stop at least for one night. Campsites are plentiful but beware that they do get busy in the school holidays, outside of that you can just rock up and you'll get a pitch

As far as navigation goes, nothing to worry about if you have a sat nav with European maps it will get you exactly where you want. If not most main roads just go from one big town or city to the next so as long as you plot a route you will have no bother.

I love France and have gone for the last 5 years. Its a fantastic place for a driving holiday.

Enjoy

Wouldn't know about camping

Driving on the continent is remarkably easy, roads are much less congested and no masses of variable speed cameras.

With regular stops and traveling at about 60-65 time wise 15 to 17 hours from arriving at Calais to south coast depending how far along the coast you'd like to go.

We drive to the Cote d'Azur every year (to Menton in the far southeast, so about as far from Calais as you can get) and take 2 days over it.

When are you going? If you can do Newhaven-Dieppe, you will cut out the current Calais problems and chop off half a day's driving.

Driving in rural France is very relaxing, and if you use a satnav, a piece of cake, if not, the Michelin maps are excellent and available at every garage.

I can't comment on camping spots (we never use them) but outside of August (when all France still goes on holiday) we have never found any problem finding an overnight hotel.

If you use a continental breakdown service, then car problems should not worry you. One year my XJS steering hydraulics gave up the ghost, and it was repaired, for the cost of the parts only, by a local garage whilst we drove around in a free Volkswagen Polo courtesy of the RAC.

We have flown in and used a hire car a couple of times in the past, but the drive down, stopping in and seeing different places, gives 2 holidays in one

We did Calais to Limoux (foothills of the Pyrenees, with Spain on the other side of the mountains) in 2 very, very long days, stopping overnight roughly half way down. Unfortunately for us we travelled on what's known in France as Black Saturday, when everyone starts their summer getaways and the roads get gridlocked, not just on motorways but even the equivalent of A roads in some places. This was early August from memory. Our son was 5 months old at the time and my wife and I both agreed we'd never travel this far down France ever again as it took us about 17 hours driving on the second day alone to reach our destination. Admittedly our timing wasn't great, but don't underestimate just how big France is or how long it takes, especially if you hit traffic.

Herts depart at 05:30 via Dover-Calais and you will be just a bit north of Biarittiz (Dax) by 17:30.

I've also done same journey by train which is also a 10-12hr job depending on transits in Paris and the TGV stops.

Have also flown back and flying would be my last choice.

Tolls will add up but the flexibility of the motor down there will be nice. Driving to San Sebastián and a jaunt up the Pyrenees would be rude if not done while you're that way.

Train v relaxing and if doing Eurocamp then you don't need to worry about lugging a tent and all the gear.

Less Brits down that way too which is always a bonus. A bit further than the Loire.

Driven in and around SW France for holidays for the last 20yrs.

I have only sailed Dover to Calais so cannot comment about other routes. Always fancied the Santander route but never got my rear in gear and it was either sold out or too expensive.

We now sail on a Friday night and stay in a hotel near Calais which means we can drive down to the south in a day on the Saturday ( use to do it all in one day including sail) tolls about €100 but diesel is about 70p a litre as it is the French green policy

Loads of great camp sites in SW France but you can also make it to Northern Spain which is a bit cheaper whilst there eating out and supermarkets. Rioja reserve UK price £9 Spanish price £3.50. 5 star in Costa brava camping near Genoa

Guaranteed weather, we b-b-q every other nite or eat out as it is cheap when camping

Le crique near Perpignan is a great French site close to colliure

Nehaven to Dieppe will knock a good 2hrs driving , its a longer crossing though but always managed to get a cheaper crossing from newhaven .

At the minute I would avoid Dover crossings like the plauge as you do not know from one day to the next if it will get delayed / cancelled .

No doubt the troubles with Dover - Calais would have had a impact on prices and availability at other ports !

Thank you all for the input,

My 1.8 Petrol Mondeo only does 32mpg at best, So I guess I'm gonna have to work out and keep an eye on the mileage and costs per litre, My other choice is the mwb transit which would do more mpg and is diesel, but being longer and taller may cost more on the ferry?.

Love the idea of driving down, as someone said above, sort of two holidays in one, just don't know about pre booking a hotel for breaking the journey down, or taking a chance on finding somewhere ad hoc.

Thank you all for the input,

My 1.8 Petrol Mondeo only does 32mpg at best, So I guess I'm gonna have to work out and keep an eye on the mileage and costs per litre, My other choice is the mwb transit which would do more mpg and is diesel, but being longer and taller may cost more on the ferry?.

Love the idea of driving down, as someone said above, sort of two holidays in one, just don't know about pre booking a hotel for breaking the journey down, or taking a chance on finding somewhere ad hoc.

Will cost a bit more on the ferry that's for sure and also the tolls too as they class it as a good vehicle.

Diesel not quite as cheap as above- esp on the Autoroutes but yes, it's still cheaper around 83pence a litre--- could be cheaper in other parts but we live in the 'Var' on the South Coast.

Timing wise, yes you can motor it down in a day if your not towing ( we do our place to Calais in around -0.5 hrs but literally stop for fuel n pee).

Would say it's def nicer to split the journey up and visit some of the other great towns and places that France has to offer.

Campsites are very happy for you to just turn up and 'Pitch' , many will always try and squeeze you in even if they are full.

Don't buy your diesel/petrol on the autoroute - take a small detour to the nearest town and get it from a supermarket - considerably cheaper.

Take a look at the telepeage from Sanef - basically you have a detector in your car and sail through the toll-booths without stopping or having to fish out your cash. There is a small initial charge, but if you are a caravan club member, that can be waived. The toll cost is charged to your credit or debit card