Barclays are on the ball.....hopefully.

Scully

Received an alert this morning that an attempted transaction was made on my debit card in the USA yesterday.

Twice in the past couple of years I've received texts asking me to respond to queries regarding transactions made on my card, but this is the first time it has been someone other than myself making the transaction.

The transaction failed and no money was lost, but nice to see Barclays are apparently on the ball. :good: Means my current card is now void of course and I have to travel into 'big' town to receive a new card, but that's the least of my worries.

I withdrew £50 from an ATM in Cardiff. According to my bank statement, someone paid £120 for mobile top up in Aberdeen, 10 minutes later. HSBC asked me if I was sure I hadn't been up there, so I said, 'If my vehicle could get from Cardiff to Aberdeen in 10 minutes, I wouldn't worry about £120'! I eventually got reimbursed.

I have had the same from Barclays. Not being entirely sure that I was speaking to their fraud department I insisted on ringing back on the number on the back of my long held debit card. Sure enough I was put through to the same person (eventually). I lost no money.

It is really very impressive how well the bank systems can detect potentially fraudulent transactions. I have had a few false fails when buying something online, which is a bit of an inconvenience, but I would rather that then be cleared out.

I had a card skimmed in a restaurant in the US and to see if the details were valid they first made a small charity donation with the card details and then attempted to make a 4 figure purchase very shortly afterwards, according to the bank that type of pattern is automatically red flagged.

There is a lot of moaning about Banks but people forget that they get all of this protection for potentially little cost. You can have a standard current account, access to your account 24*7 via atm's, debit card and contactless payments, money transfers, direct debits and standing orders, on line and digital banking for no cost other than not getting interest on your money. I know I am biased but I think it's good value.

There is a lot of moaning about Banks but people forget that they get all of this protection for potentially little cost. You can have a standard current account, access to your account 24*7 via atm's, debit card and contactless payments, money transfers, direct debits and standing orders, on line and digital banking for no cost other than not getting interest on your money. I know I am biased but I think it's good value.

I get all this PLUS 3% on the first £20K. Guess how much I keep in the current account? Answer, as much as possible!