Benelli 828U

cjm

One of the ugliest guns I've seen in a long time.

Great concept to be able to alter cast like a semi auto but a bloody ugly looking thing.

When I first saw it at the CLA I thought the same, and I'm still not sure whether handling it made it's ugliness endearing or whether it just grew better looking. Would love a go with one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry mark,

I picked one up at Bywell,

The looks did nothing for me but it came up ok

The main thing (apart from looks) that got me was how light it was,

So in my opinion it would be great for lugging round the fields but not so great on a 100 clays

It's a marmite gun

:shaun:

I know it's the law of physics.... A light gun is going to recoil more. You can't get away with that.

I know I just need to go and shoot one. The lightness does appeal to me, it's just if its liveable. Is this really any worse than the other lightweight O/U. I don't think it's worth comparing with a normal weight O/U, but perhaps more with the Beretta Ultralight, ATA alloy receiver, Winchester Select Light / 101 light, Browning Hunter lite, Franchi's etc

If this better than all of the above then I can see its appeal. I've shot the same stock on the new Benelli Raffaello and thought it worked well.

I wonder if sticking a very soft cartridge like the comp X in would be fine?

Well after putting around 400 cartridges through it my opinion is, yes it has a bit of a kick due to the weight (6.5 pounds) but the recoil reduction system does take the worst of it out. I am shooting it better than my 682 gold e. especially at skeet. Overall I like the way it handles and don't regret the purchase

Cheers

Tom

• 2 months later...

Almost bought one yesterday, as it felt right out of the box for me, found it very swingable and felt great. Has anyone taken the auto safety spring off to turn it into manual safety and what are they like on the shoulder having put around 100 sporting targets through it.

I have one, bought a 26" black a number of weeks ago to which I was on the waiting list for ages. I have to say I absolutely love mine. I like the looks, love the engineering and it's so lightweight and pointable.

When I enquired about the auto safety I was told it had to go back to GMK. However dissembling the gun and 5mins later it's very very easy. Just one clip to remove. Also replaceable just as quick.

Any negative review this gun has had is due to recoil. The fact is you can't change physics. Light guns recoil more. However the beauty of 12b is the amazing selection of carts.

I tried normal and punchy 28g carts. I certainly wouldn't want to do a round of 100 with them. Then tried a soft shooting 28g like comp-X and it was manageable. I found the sweet spot with 24g carts. Could shoot it all day long with 24g. Initially I was worried about the reduction of lead in the sky. But the fact is, and hit is a hit. 24 or 28g won't change that. I've shot great with it and smashed Clays with it.

I love mine, couldn't be happier. So nice to have something slightly different than the crowd too. Refreshing to see something that isn't a silver actioned.... Beretta, browning etc that are 10 a penny. I got rid of my B725 for it and don't regret it for a second.

For your info here is the clip you would have to remove. Should you buy one, and you need anymore help with it. Let me know.

1D2FCAED-A0A7-4718-A7FB-30545572F57C_zps

Thanks, might make a trip to the gun shop again by the end of the week as they have one in stock, i had it reserved for me but as unsure took the reserve off it this morning. Can see me buying this, just felt so right.

Your picture is so much better than whats in the handbook, was looking at the black version in 28" barrels.

Edited by BerettaSV10

Its very clear once you have the trigger group out to how that clip removes. Make sure you follow the instructions on how to remove it. Also the handbook suggested there is an edge to the trigger group. That isn't really the case. If you try and pull it out at an angle or like you would a semi auto you will come stuck. Once it is released using the tool, pull in out in a straight line downwards. Took me ages as I was pulling at an angle and felt wrong and didn't want to break my brand new gun!

I'm much more of a fan on the black 828U over the Nickel action.

Well took a road trip to the RFD, tried the 828u again, discussed what my requirements were, and agreed it was the best option, he checked that the fit was good and got the thumbs up. Got a good price for the SX3 and I walked away with the 828u.

Got home cleaned it to remove any packing grease and decided to remove the trigger group and look at the auto safety removal, had to re read the instructions on dissembling the gun and 5 or so mins later auto safety removed and ready for action, hopefully next week.

Slightly different way of removing the for-end than usual, once that was sorted no problems.

GMK sent a demo gun to Doveridge gun club for me to try, nice looking gun , nice and light to carry round on shoot day. but i put a selection of loads trough it, from 28g/ 30g / 2.3/4 mags / and 3" mags kicks like a mule even with 28g loads , 3" mags a big mistake going to dentist on monday to have fillings refitted, ouch lol