2nd Gun...Auto or S/S?

Savhmr

As per title, I am after a second gun, and am after something that my wife can use as well, when I am accompanying her (I hold the sole shooting rights to the land in question).

We started looking around for a nice 20g o/u or a reasonable quality S/S which would make an ideal 2nd gun and lightweight rough shooter. My wife would be better off with a lighter gun as she finds my 12g Silver Pigeon too heavy. The obvious issue is gunstock length differences in fit when more than one person is to use a gun. I measure at about an average 14.5 inches LOP whilst my wife is closer to 14 to 14.25 inches LOP.

It's easier to use a shorter stock and pad up so a 1/4 inch or so in using a shorter LOP stock is no real issue for me.

Our budget is around £300 to £400 so ideally looking for a used gun as that doesn't buy much new these days, but it buys into a lot of used gun choice.

As nice examples of used 20 bores are pretty scarce, especially at our budget, to tick the choice and weight boxes, I guess we're looking mainly at 12g S/S guns or Autos.

The idea of an auto appeals as a second gun for hide shooting and occasional wild fowling duties. At that budget, I seem to be looking at Hatsen Arms or similar or used, Beretta 301/302 or Remington 1100.

Used on the S/S market, I was thinking of a good used AYA (Nr 3 or 4). These tend to have longer stocks though, typically averaging 14.75 inches.

Can anyone offer any advice on the auto options, what to look for, what to avoid and where the cheaper synthetic stocked autos are worth a look or whether a good used 302 would be a better bet? Needs to be reliable and cope with loads from 28 to 32g

Many of the older model semi's like the Remington are quite heavy so probably no benefit to your wife.

Have you thought about an alloy actioned 12g O/U. Some like my Winchester Select Light are no much over 6lbs weight and you get the benefit of cheaper 12g cartridges.

Despite the low weight I have shot 50 bird sporting rounds with mine using 28gram loads and not suffered from recoil. i have, however, replaced the hard buttpad with a thick soft one.(Stock has been shortened)

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

I have considered those, as they look pretty well screwed together for the money. Also considering Franchi, especially in semi auto. They have a solid rep, and I think some are based on the original Browning LR system which seems tried and tested. Not much experience with semi-autos though and appreciate you have to be careful when choosing as some seem prone to jamming plus handling on the odd few I have picked up hasn't been great.

Yup, for simplicity and reliability you can't beat a good well made British or Spanish S/S. Use will be a mix of rough shooting, the odd bit of hide shooting and sporting clays. I will probably use it as a 2nd gun for hide shooting, my wife mainly for clays and the odd rough shoot. Tbh, the 686s I find a great all rounder, but I often hanker after a lighter gun for the odd jaunt out and the idea of a decent semi appeals. Had may S/S's in years gone by and got on well with an AYA #4 for many years.

Looks like I'm shortly to be the new owner of a Beretta AL391 Urika. Seems like a good reliable model for a gas operated semi auto. Plenty of S/S's about but most would have needed cutting down to fit the Mrs whereas with the Beretta, a change of butt pad is all that's needed plus it comes with various shims for adjusting cast and drop.

If you are considering a 20g, don't forget to factor in the extra cost on carts over a 12g.

I'd say a 12g 26" semi auto would suit the wife depending on her build. Light to carry, good on recoil and great in the hide. Stretch a little on your budget and get an SX3 maybe, nice modern gun well priced and good quality.

The 391 purchased is 12g. @Kent...yes, there's far more to fit than LOP but that has to be right too and is a good place to start. I've checked the Mrs already for cast and drop. I'd say she needs about the same drop but less cast then me, and the gun will be set up for her but a quick change of butt pad means that I should be able to shoot reasonably with it as well. That's the great thing about these Berettas is that you can change a handful of shims to get the things to fit better plus they're still very well supported for spare parts. I can get just about every moving part needed for it from Beretta's own site. Just glad to have found one of these old workhorses. Always hankered after one for hide shooting so it should be a fun thing to use. Theres still a little bit of room left in the gun cabinet too.. :)

Get both. Find a decent auto and for a bit of change, a tidy sxs can be had for not much these days, and gives you the option to pick and choose as it suits you. Definitely be worth shooting them, try before you buy process. A good friend who has a penchant for SKB guns got his wife a beaut skb 20 bore o/u, and after her first few lessons, she decided to try his single trigger SKB 12bore sxs. She shoots very well with it, and hasn't touched her 20bore o/u since. Go and have a go with a few.

I've shot a fair few semi autos and a few 20 bores (I liked the little Lincoln Premier a lot in 20b) but for the budget we had, I reckon the 391 was a cracking buy. I've shot the older 300 series and what struck me was that unlike some autos that can feel a bit dead in the hands, the 300 series (non AL versions too) felt nicely balanced and pointable. The one I've bought has a 30" barrel too and a late model (1999?) AL391 Urika with all the original bits and pieces present (all chokes, shims, plastic case and manual). I have room for another but the pennies have to be saved for two prospective fullbore rifle purchases and an extra gun safe. Just need to sell both kidneys now to fund everything...

Edited by Savhmr

as mentioned armsan 20g they 14 1/4 lop,mine is just as reliable as my beretta outlander and you can buy new for £400.

Already bought the Beretta now. It was a great find so happy with the choice. What it allows is custom tailoring for fit and a reliable fully proven action with great spares backup. That matters long term. We seem to be accumulating Berettas because we're happy with them and how well serviced even older models seem to be by Beretta.

Is the 391 the Field or the Sporter model ? There is a big weight difference between the 2 . You were asking about a lighter gun that your Wife can use, my 391 Field model with the thin recoil pad fitted is still 14 1/2" LOP. I would not really want to carry it around without a gun slip for any period of time, they are not a comfortable gun to carry. I have recently been Instructing a young lady who has bought an Italian 20 bore auto (Youth model). It is still far too long and is smacking her in the face, due to her lifting her head. She has switched to my 20 Yildiz (13 1/2" LOP) with 21 gram cartridges and things have improved vastly. The Yildiz weighs 6lbs 2 ozs. chuck the 391 on the kitchen scales and it will not be too far off 7lbs. (Field) and nearer 8lbs (Sporter). Good Luck with the Beretta, but you may find that you are using it more than her. On the plus side it should cycle 21 grams, without a hitch. (Except Comp X)

The one I've bought is the lighter AL391 Urika model (field) so lighter than the standard 391. The Mrs isn't too worried abut carrying a 6.5 to 7lb shotgun. The fit matters more (as with all guns) and this one can be tailored relatively easily, including the LOP. Its not a problem. I like using the 686 and that will remain my mainstay field gun.