Waiting times Edinburgh

Hamish99

Hi All

I am new to the forum,

I have applied for SGC 4 months ago and was wondering how long the waiting time has been in the Edinburgh area ?

1. I had no convictions at the time of the application ( I now have a speeding offence SP50 3 points.)

2. I was signed off work back in 2000- 2001 with stress for a 3 maybe 4 weeks can,t remember the exact time scale.

( Doc did prescribe drugs at the time , as he said it may help ,( i did disagree with him and never took the drugs)

Regards

Hamish.

Unfortunately times in Scotland have become really poor in some areas, a friend of mine was about 7 months with L&B police. Don't panic thinking that there is something about your application that is the problem, just that licensing have had huge cuts and changes made to them.

Give them a call to see where your application is at and what the average waiting time is to process a SGC grant.

I have called to ask about the progress of my application, All i was told that they are now carrying out the checks and the FEO will be in touch .( No time scale given)

You've had no contact yet? Have they cashed your cheque?

Yes they have cashed there cheque 2 weeks after receiving my application .

Unfortunately times in Scotland have become really poor in some areas, a friend of mine was about 7 months with L&B police. Don't panic thinking that there is something about your application that is the problem, just that licensing have had huge cuts and changes made to them.

Give them a call to see where your application is at and what the average waiting time is to process a SGC grant.

I have called to ask about the progress of my application, All i was told that they are now carrying out the checks and the FEO will be in touch .( No time scale given)

How long since you last gave them a call?

Nothing wrong with giving a wee call maybe every 4 weeks or so and asking if any indication of waiting times, etc, just try not to hack the person off on the other end of the line as they are simply doing a job and are no doubt just as frustrated about waiting times as you are.

It is going to be one of these things where you just have to be patient and it will take the time that it takes, however if you are a member of a shooting organisation then worth giving them a ring to see if they can influence the time it takes to process. If you're not a member of a shooting org' already then maybe give some thought to joining one.

The more that we make a noise about the length of time it takes then in theory the more pressure we can apply to Police Scotland to try and improve their service, however given the much bigger issues they have to deal with currently I wouldn't hold out much hope that firearm licensing is going to get any sort of priority focus for improvement.

Gives you time to save up for the shotgun purchase when the license eventually comes through.

How long since you last gave them a call?

Nothing wrong with giving a wee call maybe every 4 weeks or so and asking if any indication of waiting times, etc, just try not to hack the person off on the other end of the line as they are simply doing a job and are no doubt just as frustrated about waiting times as you are.

It is going to be one of these things where you just have to be patient and it will take the time that it takes, however if you are a member of a shooting organisation then worth giving them a ring to see if they can influence the time it takes to process. If you're not a member of a shooting org' already then maybe give some thought to joining one.

The more that we make a noise about the length of time it takes then in theory the more pressure we can apply to Police Scotland to try and improve their service, however given the much bigger issues they have to deal with currently I wouldn't hold out much hope that firearm licensing is going to get any sort of priority focus for improvement.

Gives you time to save up for the shotgun purchase when the license eventually comes through.

you'll be buying a purdey then Hamish

You mention L&B police, I think you will find it is now Police Scotland, and therein lies the problem, one force for the whole country instead of divisions.

Some parts of police Scotland are still coping,I've seen a few posts recently about Aberdeen saying they've turned round renewals and variations in good time.Unfortunately Tayside seem to be lagging behind as well,their handing out temp certs and my so I thought simple variation for an FAC air rifle has been about two months now and still waiting.

You mention L&B police, I think you will find it is now Police Scotland, and therein lies the problem, one force for the whole country instead of divisions.

I know it is all police Scotland Billy, but there are still local administrative areas for licensing as well as other policing issues.

Fife area was superb, now not so much from what i've heard, L&B area seem to have had problems for a couple of years.

I used L&B in reference to the administrative area.

You are spot on though about the unification into one big force being a big cause of the problem.

The staff at French street in Glasgow are so overworked and understaffed it is unreal , yet they still do quite a good job , I have been known on occasion to ask if they could "put my paperwork" at the top of the pile .

It's amazing what a sympathetic ear (once you ask for something) a little praise , some chocolates , offering to pick up your ticket and most importantly getting anything they NEED in writing to them , without the police having to send somebody out .

I have found this to be the best approach , by all means complain about the wait , but do it with a smile and understanding of the **** storm they have to work in every day!!!!!!

The staff at French street in Glasgow are so overworked and understaffed it is unreal , yet they still do quite a good job , I have been known on occasion to ask if they could "put my paperwork" at the top of the pile .

It's amazing what a sympathetic ear (once you ask for something) a little praise , some chocolates , offering to pick up your ticket and most importantly getting anything they NEED in writing to them , without the police having to send somebody out .

I have found this to be the best approach , by all means complain about the wait , but do it with a smile and understanding of the **** storm they have to work in every day!!!!!!

Good advice, a friendly and understanding approach often wins favour. I have no doubt it is as frustrating, if not more, for the licensing teams.

Its exactly as above, they have moved into a brand new site beside the river, they cover all previous areas under one roof. Its a very nice building if you get to visit.

My renewal was still dealt with locally with some confusion relating information between areas, though came through the door ok, the visiting officer has some new forms they collate when they visit you now.

Chiefy