knife sharpeners- recommendation

big bad lindz

Hi guys

I am looking for a good knife sharpener for both kitchen carving & meat prep knifes, any suggestions. The one that I have, a Chantry, appears not to be getting a good edge on the knifes any more in fact I think it has dulled them more than sharpened as I struggled to breast some geese lately.

cheers,

BBL

Chantry are an poor to ok but not great sharpener. You could try a diamond steel to give you an edge after useing the chantry to roughly shape the blade, last few strokes though should be very light and then light steel passes to finish which is similar to what i do for wife's kitchen knives.

Mine all get lansky treatment and diamond steel to keep sharp.

Lansky turnbox or spyderco sharpmaker are both similar, and effective. Rods inserted into Base to make a triangle, hold knife vertically and try to slice a sliver off the ceramic rods alternating sides - angle is set to make knife sharp.

Price is about 14 for the lansky 2 rod, 20 for the lansky 4 rod, and 60 ish for the spyderco, but you get a choice of angles and brass safety guards for the money.

Neither system will remove a lot of metal quickly, so if you need a knife reprofiled, a diamond stone laid again the rods is not a bad idea, but for easy effective sharpening that is pretty foolproof, you could do worse than either of these.

Of course, forgot about the extra rods - the diamond rods are quite reasonable, and apparently work really well. Not tried the extra fine but the standard fine will put a hairpopping edge on, so the extra must be very fine indeed.

Quite an outlay, but you'll never need another system, and with all the attachments and extra holes for holding the rods to sharpen scissors etc, it pays for itself over time