28 bore cartridges.

i hear there are 3" 28gauge guns now.

the last gauge to go 3".

cip stats and specs have been around for a while. just they never were made.

I think Benelli have started making a 28 gauge semi with a 3" chamber now. Fairly sure I spotted one on the Guntrader list for my local shop, though it was gone before I got in there to look at it. Their website does list an "Ethos" model with a 3" chamber, though given they're advertising that as new, it may not have been that model that I saw advertised.

http://www.benelliusa.com/ethos-shotgun#specifications-section

Depressingly, that has also been done. There was one for sale on here a while back - can't remember whose it was.

Not according to Randy Wakeman also i personally shot a 16ga for years I've Never heard of or seen a 3" chamber 16ga or 3" 16ga cartridges.

I looked for years as i would have bought one in a heart beat

Not according to Randy Wakeman also i personally shot a 16ga for years I've Never heard of or seen a 3" chamber 16ga or 3" 16ga cartridges.

I looked for years as i would have bought one in a heart beat

Top of the table on this page for the proof specification, only relatively recently approved:

http://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation/en/tdcc_public?page=2&cartridge_type_id=7

Cartridge and chamber specification:

http://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation/uploads/tdcc/tab-vii/tabviical-en-page6.pdf

The Winchester Model 21 was made in 16 gauge, occasionally with a 3" chamber. Discussion here:

http://16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8972&start=0

Picture of the gun as described in the book mentioned in that discussion:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9SvbdIv4OKYC&lpg=PA6&dq=Ned%20Schwing%20Winchester%E2%80%99s%20Finest%20%E2%80%93%20The%20Model%2021&pg=PA67#v=onepage&q=Ned%20Schwing%20Winchester%E2%80%99s%20Finest%20%E2%80%93%20The%20Model%2021&f=false

Read on a bit and you'll find guns so marked were produced around 1937, so they've been around for 80 years or so - though I'm not saying they aren't rare as hens teeth.

Hope that helps.

Top of the table on this page for the proof specification, only relatively recently approved:

http://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation/en/tdcc_public?page=2&cartridge_type_id=7

Cartridge and chamber specification:

http://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation/uploads/tdcc/tab-vii/tabviical-en-page6.pdf

The Winchester Model 21 was made in 16 gauge, occasionally with a 3" chamber. Discussion here:

http://16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8972&start=0

Picture of the gun as described in the book mentioned in that discussion:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9SvbdIv4OKYC&lpg=PA6&dq=Ned%20Schwing%20Winchesters%20Finest%20%20The%20Model%2021&pg=PA67#v=onepage&q=Ned%20Schwing%20Winchesters%20Finest%20%20The%20Model%2021&f=false

Read on a bit and you'll find guns so marked were produced around 1937, so they've been around for 80 years or so - though I'm not saying they aren't rare as hens teeth.

Hope that helps.

👏👍

Guest cookoff013

omg who wants a 31/2 chamber 20g,but i have had good results with 21g no7 in 28g,

the loads and load spec are to take advantage of the wider array of "nontoxic shot" not lead based shot.

no-one wanted a 3.5" lead shell, but the load and gun was designed for the 3.5" big bb steel shells.

apart from being mildly comical, the 3.5" 20gauge chamber would hold ~42g of lead shot. i think the 3" is 36grams of lead.

apart from being mildly comical, the 3.5" 20gauge chamber would hold ~42g of lead shot. i think the 3" is 36grams of lead.

I'm sure I'm not being particularly comical by saying if you need 42g of shot in a 20 gauge, it might be time to consider a bigger tube... :)

Then again, we're approaching the point where, rather than simply creating larger and larger chambers (A 4" 12 gauge anyone? Or is 6" enough!?) we surely ought to return to the muzzle loading tradition. We can simply pour as much shot as we feel like using directly into the barrel, on top of some suitably slow powder and do away with the cartridge entirely.

Edited by neutron619

Hi ive shot a 28 for years and although people often laugh when you stand on a peg pheasant shooting often refering them to pop gun, they are anything but, i agree with alot of comments on heavy loads, there is no need a good quality 21 gram cartridge is fine have killed many high pheasants with my silver pigeon 3 they are a fast handling gun to, take mine ferreting which is deadly on bolting rabbits where you cant net up.I do find the plastic wads better for high pigeons and pheasants bornaghi are good but im not sure if you can still get these as are nobel sport the italians are the masters of small bore cartridges in my opinion.

Hedgewizard what cartridge do you prefer in the 28? My local gun shop imports Bornaghi, find the 28 gauge cartridges very hard hitting

Hi my preference is bornaghi 21 gram had over a thousand but no getting low,have tried eley vip which are a good cartridge but had problems with jammed shells that wouldnt eject,tried gamebore pure gold they are also a good cartridge find them good for bolting rabbits wouldnt use anything above 25 gram which these are.They do a plastic wad version only available in 5 shot which takes down high woodies with ease i personaly think the italian shells are the best if you can get them, nobel sport are up there with bornaghi i see rc do a 28 gauge cartridge although ive never tried them pity all the above cartridges are on the expensive side compared to a 12.

I got 250 RC 24gm 6 last year, were very good on the pigeons. Love the 21gm 7 Bornaghi for clays or vermin and like you, like the Nobel Sport. First day out with my 28 I used them in 21gm 7.5s and shot 126 crows in maize. What 28 do you have?

Hi yes will have to try the rc all the italian shells are good although i did buy 250 fiochi last year and couldnt get on with them at all,you shoot well with the 28 good day on the crows.I have a beretta silver pigeon 3 also got an aya no3 28 which my lad uses to great affect on pigeons,the beretta is a lovely gun though should i ever win the lottery would buy the perazzi mx28 see a guy with one last year very nice gun indeed.

If any of you are in Harrogate/Leeds area I have a few boxes of different 28 gauge cartridges I don't need and will do a good price on. There's 125 each of Eley VIP 21g and 24g and the odd box of Gamebore Pure Gold 25g and Hull High Pheasant 23g. I bought a gun a few months ago which had to go back and I kept the cartridges hoping to get another but haven't got round to it. I've since bought a 410 side by side and am not sure I really need a 28 when I also have a 20. Would be nice to have at some point though...

If any of you are in Harrogate/Leeds area I have a few boxes of different 28 gauge cartridges I don't need and will do a good price on. There's 125 each of Eley VIP 21g and 24g and the odd box of Gamebore Pure Gold 25g and Hull High Pheasant 23g. I bought a gun a few months ago which had to go back and I kept the cartridges hoping to get another but haven't got round to it. I've since bought a 410 side by side and am not sure I really need a 28 when I also have a 20. Would be nice to have at some point though...

A very kind offer wish i lived nearer would have the lot but so busy with work and living in norfolk got no chance of of that, i have the same with a twenyt ive got around 150 remington nitro steel 3,s and 4,s in ounce load which my late father had when he used to go also some gamebore and saga.

• 3 weeks later...

You out again this weekend Hedgewizard? I think I have sourced some Viri FOB 26gm 6s so will let you know how I get on with them on some driven game

Hello buddy yes we where beatiing today on our local shoot, and going feretting tomorrow if its not chucking it down,be nice to hear your views on the viri fob should be a good shell being italian.