night vision sights

gamebag

Hi,

Rjimmer. Going for a day/night system, well that is going to be very expensive. And you still need to be careful with the nightvision modul at daylight, although that almost any nightvision scope/monoculars has a daylight filter.

Well, Gamebag. How is your wallet ? Thick or thin ? Thick and you would like a very good nightvision system then go for Gen. 2, Gen 2+ and Gen. 3.

Gen. 1, if you choose this system you going to need a powerful IR illuminator to make it work. And still I would not recommend this Gen. - too bad in my opinion.

I have a Gen. 2+ monocular and I am trying to fit it behind my Nightforce scope on my Daystate Huntsman, so I have a day/night system.

The monocular perform very good. It is 1x system, so I just use it as an ordinary goggle for now.

Look at Soviet Bazaar website for nightvision equipment.

Cheers - BOLTA

Hi again,

Going for a scope or a monocular, hard question - Gamebag. If you only want to put it on your gun a scope would be best choice I think. But if you need to scan the land for bunnies with nightvision a monocular, maybe mounted as a goggle, would be the best choice.

You could also do what I am doing, a monocular behind a BIG objective scope. The monocular need to be a least a Gen. 2 or 2+ , plus this system will come close to a real day/night scope in price. With this system you have no movement with zeropoint of the scope and you can take the monocular off and use it as goggle.

I have now added the monocular to my scope and all I need now is to make my stock about 2" longer, plus I need to mount a longer cheekrest to rest on. Then it should be ready for use. I have looked through the nightvision scope and it works. The picture is darker than just looking through the monocular itself, so I think a need a little IR illumination to make it work perfectly.

I hope this information can help some.

Cheers - BOLTA

i use the ns 156 myself..and find no problems with the imaging and picking out the rabbits. it is used on a logun axsor .22. i now find night shooting has become very addictive as i no longer have to stalk the rabbits......ambushing them from the hedgerows is alot easier as the rabbits seem to come to me now.

ok daft question time

1)what exactly are the difrences between gen1 & gen 2

2)how much is a basic gen2 unit roughly as i was only going for just a basic sight but from what you guys say its better to go for a gen 2

3) can you get gen 2 monoculars?

thanks for your time & anwsers guys its all seriously appreciated

also it would explain y ebay is a flood with a load of gen1 sights

Picture quality go's right up with the gen 2 and they work in lower light levels, gen 3 picture quality about the same as gen 2 but at even lower light levels.

Prices go through the roof.

Watch out for digital systems these use digital camra chips with an "tv" eyepiece.

In theory you should be able to make one at a lot lower price than a camcorder.

I have seen camera modules for less than £40 that work down to .1 lux (moonlight) combine that with an eypiece from a camcorder, and an IR filter on the gun light and you will have somthing that will work like a gen 1 with better picture for under £60.

With a .001 lux camera gen 2+ for maybe £150 (I'm guessing now)

Hi Gamebag,

1.) You can see clear and longer with Gen. 2 than Gen. 1. With a Gen. 1 you should not expect to see much futher than max. 100 yards unless a lot of light from cities. That is maybe good enough then you having a rabbit in sight with your airgun at 30-50 yards, but it is not enough for scaning a big field for rabbits. A Gen. 2 or higher would be better for this task.

3.) Yes, you can easily get Gen. 2 and higher monoculars if you like.

2.) I would strongly suggest what you look at www.sovietbazaar.co.uk website and see what they have. Their prices are fair and they know what they are doing.

www.Deben.com also have a few nv scopes you can look at.

The benefits of Gen. 1 is their lower prices and there are normally no problems exporting them. But in my opinion, if your wallet is to it - a Gen. 2 or higher is the best choice.

If you shine an IR-illuminator agaist a rabbit - the rabbit´s eyes will shine and you can easy spot the rabbits that way then you scaning a field for rabbits with your nv equipment. That is a great thing.

Cheers - BOLTA

This is a reply I got last year.

Dear Sir,

It is possible to buy G3 in the UK.

Gen. 5 will be available Jul 03 onwards.

Thermal will cost you 15-20K

Best regrds,

Ohhh thermal. :D<_<:angry:

Mummy, can I borrow 20,000 pounds please....

Yes no problem red dear, u can have as much money as you like, sure buy 2 incase 1 gets lost. ha ha.

Hi,

Never heard of any Gen. 5 yet, but alot things are going on overthere in the states. I know there is a full colour Gen. 4 camera on the market. How it works I don´t know.

Gen. 4 is actually a Gen. 3 which can take more lights from cities, flares and lights from the battlefield than a Gen. 3 and still have a clear high resolution picture. Gen. 4 is still only for the US personnel, not for any other countries yet.

I know that the US Army have had some serious thoughts changing over to Gen. 4, because of the higher cost vs. a better picture quality. I don´t know if they have change over by now.

Well, Gamebag have you desided which NV equipment to go for ?

Cheers - Bolta

im thinking of using a monocular to find the little devils then flip on the lamp with a red filter to give them the good news a monocular is really all i can afford at the moment but when i get & save up the extra cash im going to get a gen 2 now i just have to presuade the misses its a good investment lol

id go for a second hand ns156 scope, as they dont do them anymore and it will save you money to.you can get hold of them still if you keep your eyes open. or failing that the d141 is also exelent and fairly cheap to. both are gen 1 but can be upgraded to gen 2 if the nv bug gets you .if it doesnt then you can safely sell them onto somone else, knowing they will sell fairly quickly.and you wont be out of pocket by much for your little adventure.the scopes above are by far the best gen 1 nv out there.

but keep your eyes peeled as there is a guy on the airgun bbs forum who is selling somthing similar, and he has had the guys on there testing them and by all accounts they are right up there with the ns156 and all for only £270 quid. he does have a website but im not sure of the address for you . maybe the peeps on here can help .they are similar to the falcon on ebay but much better by all accounts, im thinking of getting one myself, just waiting to see more feedback on it. his name is clive ward. hope this helps you mate :huh: