Mixed Bag

6.5x55SE

Due the weather forecast also being a Saturday I gave the Foreshore a miss so decided to try a Local River.

In spite of all the rain we have had the river in question had only in the last couple of days over flowed giving some nice water splashes. As I walked to my chosen spot letting the two Lab's stretch their leg's before hopefully sitting still for flight numerous species of Duck could be heard.

Settling the Dog's I knelt behind a big clump of Dead Thistles with water behind to each side the river in front looking straight into the lightning sky as I loaded the SXP with two 32gms of Steel 5's and a 36 gms of 2's I could hear Mallard Widgeon Gadwall Teal Canada's Greylag and Snipe.

Knowing this spot very very well i knew I would get a shot unless I had a cartridge fail but would wait for a easy chance because at the first shot all the Duck would lift and head to the old Gravel Pits behind me.

As I waited for my chance Teal had me spinning like a Rear Turret Gunner as they buzzed around me like Big annoying Knats finally a single coming from the lightning sky tempted me my single shot balled the Teal at which all hell broke loose as 500+ of the mixed Duck mentioned lifted and sped towards me picking a low bunch of five my two shots only found the empty sky these shot's lifted another 400-500 Ducks trying quickly to reload the gun I managed to shoot two Widgeon from a tail end bunch.

Having settled the Dog's after their retrieves I waited to see if any of the Geese gave a shot whilst doing so the odd Mallard and Teal went into the river but the huge Duck mass would stay on the Pits till this evening flight.

My young Lab was kept amused by a hunting Barn Owl but changed his attentions as two small bunches of Greylag lifted but went in the wrong direction next three bunches of Canada's crossed just out of range to my right.

As I was thinking of going a single Greylag about 40 yrd high came across the river to my shock a quick call turned it with no time to change cartridges I just blanked my mind blotted the head Bang the Greylag took 32gms of Steel 5's right under the chin.

As i filled the rucksack honking and Croaking from over the made me turn to see 40-50 Canada's lift in singles pair's and small bunches then head straight at me due to the height i loaded two 32gms Steel 5's and a 36gms Steel 2's kneeling behind the Thistles I took my first two way out in front but even then due to the speed my third was nearly above shockingly but good for me I took it head completely off at 20 yrd with the 36gms 2's.

Watching proudly encouraging my young Lab retrieve a Big Canada was better than my shooting giving him a lot of praise the sound of Greylag coming from the Pits caused me to unslip the gun load two unknown ( steel )Cartridges just as they appeared over the tree's shootable just amazingly as I stood upright with two Black lab's the came perfect two shots two Greylag smacked with a almighty splash into the water as my Lab's retrieved a Goose each i picked my empty cartridges Steel 32gms 5's and a Steel 28gms 2's had done a superb job.

As I walked into the house at 08.30am the Wife said your back early no luck then I just smiled and replied it's always luck to be out in the wild with Dog's Gun and Nature also yes i had a bit of Luck

Certainly a mixed bag , tell yer what Boyd , your old back must be in a far better condition than mine lugging that lot back , you will be telling us next you can eat three Weetabix :lol:

Hall has John six shredded wheat.

Yes had a good few flights this week 6 Pink's from the foreshore this mornings bag helps keep the freezer topped with Goose mince etc

You will soon have enough in your freezer to supply Iceland , the country I mean not the super market :yes:

Been on a shoot today and seen large skeins of Pinks heading towards the Waveney Valley , could be some from your neck of the woods that are finding your area bad for there health . :lol:

You will soon have enough in your freezer to supply Iceland , the country I mean not the super market :yes:

Been on a shoot today and seen large skeins of Pinks heading towards the Waveney Valley , could be some from your neck of the woods that are finding your area bad for there health . :lol:

Don't buy mince sausages or burger's or much whole chicken John i along with family love Goose meat

That's a cracking result, one flight like that in my lifetime and I'd be happy

I will be the first to admit I'm very very lucky to have the shooting I have But i have worked hard for the results i get/have over 46 years my mind set is take all you can get as much as you can as your along time Dead

Thank you ALL for the comments

Sounds like a special flight, the type that happens every now and then. Great write up, thank you for sharing it!

I'm new to PW and fowling in the wash area but I have enjoyed witnessing some spectacular morning flights of waders, ducks and geese. It is always a pleasure to be out and be part of the marsh as it is awakening. Just like 6.5x55SE states........ Luck, gun, dogs and nature, it takes some beating!

I will be the first to admit I'm very very lucky to have the shooting I have But i have worked hard for the results i get/have over 46 years my mind set is take all you can get as much as you can as your along time Dead

Thank you ALL for the comments

Couldn't agree with you more there, your only here once