What sort of scarer to use?

Hoges

I have permission to shoot a field of rape, but the pigeons are feeding in a large flock near a nursery school. I was going to set some decoys at the other end of the field on a weak flight line. But I think I will need a not too scary scarer at the other end 400 yards away. What is best to use?

Hoges

the wife

i usually find the best scarer is a bloke in a hide with a gun,,,guarenteed to keep em off.

So Indeed the fella in the hide kept them at bay for 3 hours. Fitting the plastic on a pole scared them off but as I returned to the car for the other end of the field, back they came! Meanwhile at the other end I sat ad waited. I fired a shot off in the direction of the 50 or so some 300 yards away nothing moved!

Shot two! Several large flock flew overhead and ignored the Deeks the only ones that came near were some singletons. Then a kite floated along and everything cleared off!

I need to borrow "the wife" ! I plan to give "Overall Man" a go next week!

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you use wood for poles on these flags, ideal is hazel cut form hedge row but thats down to permission.

Metal poles are a no, no especially when crops get a bit taller. if you have one fall over and you cant find it , it can do some serious damage to machinery..

written from experiance!! and no the offender dosn`t shoot here anymore!!

• 3 weeks later...