Help with chokes!!

southwest1984

Yes. Cylinder - no choke. Improved cylinder -quarter choke. Modified - half choke. Improved modified - three quarter choke. Full - full choke. Cylinder is the most open through to full which is the tightest.

Whoops, didn't see the missing modified. Is there a choke in the gun you have missed?

Edited by Glenlivet

Welcome to the forum.

Good guns Brownings, you have chosen well.

This selection of chokes represent everything from the most open pattern to the tightest, never had a new Browning myself but I would think that what you have is about right.

As a novice put the Cyl or Imp cyl in the bottom barrel and the imp cyl or imp mod in the top. Its more important in the early stages of a shooting career to have an open pattern and thus a greater chance of hitting average birds rather than tight chokes which will extend the range a bit but at a cost of maybe missing closer birds.

Then book a series of lessons at your local clay shooting ground, never will you spend better money than on those lessons. Took me 40 years before I had lessons, now I shoot well usually but that was not always the case.

A

A

Many thanks for the such quick replies. I have just started lessons, sorting out my gun mount and my eye issues. Haha. Exactly how you said it is how the gun came. Had imp cyl in top and cyl in bottom. I saw one user say that theirs didn't come with the cyl but came with the mod, which mine didn't. Wanted to make sure I didn't need that one rather then the cyl.

Should I have had a mod 1/2?

Edited by southwest1984

If you are shooting clays at novice level, use open chokes (e.g. cylinder) - and don't worry. The key things for a novice are technique related - mount (especially consistency) and swing. When you get these right, you might want to think more about chokes ........ but overall, they make a small difference that won't correct any poor technique. If the technique is right, then a bit more choke and cartridge choice can help a touch on longer targets.

I have been shooting for 40 years - and though I do have one gun with interchangeable chokes, I invariably leave improved and quarter in place!

Ahh ok. I must be missing one then, don't have the 1/2 mod choke. Would you say this is needed? Can you pick them up?

Plenty of Browning chokes come up for sale on the trading post here. You can also get aftermarket chokes from the likes of Teague and Briley. One advantage of buying a popular make of gun.

Ahh ok. I must be missing one then, don't have the 1/2 mod choke. Would you say this is needed? Can you pick them up?

no rush,easily available.My view,and I'm an old ***,is choke is probably the most talked about and least important part of shotgun shooting until you are a seriously good shot....If in doubt stick with the most open, ie cylinder/improved cylinder.......eventually you will want to 'play'try the others but initially imagine it is a fixed choke gun and apart from cleaning them stick with the same ones...they will break/kill any reasonable target.All best with lessons etc,what you learn there is 10 x more important than choke.Enjoy.