Springer or PCP, almost decided

Gonna Shoot a Wabbit

Ey up pigeonwatchers.

I am torn between the TX200 and the BSA R10.

Cost doesn't bother me between the two as i intend to get whatever i will enjoy most.

Whilst i accept that PCP rules the roost in terms of pinpoint accuracy i do so enjoy the challenge that comes from shooting springers and a chap at atherton was kind enough to let me have a go with his tx200 (loved it).

Obviously i will make the decision based on my own preference and to be honest all the faffing with charging, cylinders, etc etc put me off PCP's.

Currently i am 70% decided to go for the AA TX200

Perhaps someone wiser than i can confirm something that was said to me at the range that you need to be careful who you allow to fill your divers tank or rifle. Apparently there are compressors that filter the air through silica and some that do not. I work with silica everyday and know all about the moisture removing qualities but didnt know that it was part of the process for some compressors and not others, can anyone advise?

thanks for reading

GSAW

the simple answer about which rifle to get is basically down to what floats " YOUR " boat,,

if your like underdog,,( no offence ) and live and dress for shooting in the 1700,s :lol::lol: :lol: then you will buy the TX200,,,,, but if your a modern man who like his comforts and likes to use new technology to improve my hunting then you will buy the BSA r10 mk2,,

why people go on about filling a pcp is totally beyond me,, it takes less than 20 seconds to fill a rifle and your ready to go for another 100+ shots, " faffing about " filling a pcp ,, ive never heard such rubbish,

the other important thing a pcp has over a springer is the multishot function, believe me unless your as accurate as underdog with his springers because his are so accurate he NEVER misses then the multishot is excellent for a follow up shot to ensure a quick humane kill, which is what its all about,

with regards air filling your cylinder then a diving shop will sort it with no moisture at all, it is breathing air for divers and is very stringently tested and checked, using a hand pump will add moisture and I don't care how good the filters are,

best of luck with whatever you choose but my honest opinion is ,, if your serious about hunting then its pcp but if all you are doing is plinking in the garden then its springer

the choice is yours

atb Evo

ps,,,, underdog,,, no offence meant kidda

Springers are harder to shoot accurately because of the movement upon firing-simples. If you want to kill things cleanly and with less effort then get a PCP-it really is that simple. If, however, you still ride to work on a Horse and eat Turnips 3 times a day, don't have elastic trickery and want more stress in your life then you should still buy a PCP but shoot it wearing Pink Heelys.

Edited by bruno22rf

You can shoot all day with a springer, but unless you want to carry a cylinder around with you, you can't do that with a PCP.

Once you master your springer, it can be just as accurate as a PCP for vermin control.

I have pcp's and springers, but if I had to keep only one, it would be my HW97K. :good:

You can shoot all day with a springer, but unless you want to carry a cylinder around with you, you can't do that with a PCP.

Once you master your springer, it can be just as accurate as a PCP for vermin control.

I have pcp's and springers, but if I had to keep only one, it would be my HW97K. :good:

les totally disagree with you bud,

firstly, my airwolf mct has a shot count of over 350 regulated shots, I have never shot that many pellets hunting or even at the range for that matter, when out hunting I,m lucky to fire 15-20 shots and that's if I,m lucky,

secondly, the amount of people I hear saying a springer is as accurate as a pcp are talking total tosh, even in the best hands in the world they will not shoot as consistently accurate as a pcp,,,, if you don't believe me then just take a look at any WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FT or even HFT competition and show me just once where a springer has won the worlds ???

those guys are the best springer shooters out there in the world and cannot compete with the pcp class at any level so that speaks for itself . AS for using a springer for hunting ,,, well I did do for many years using a hw80 and before that a webley and scott mk3, not blowing my own trumpet but I am a decent shot with a springer but am I as accurate as I am with a pcp ? not in a million years and I,m yet to see anyone who is using a springer,

this argument will go on and on till the end of my days but 90% of the time people who say a springer is as accurate as a pcp USUALLY have never owned one (PCP) because their second comment is they always say dragging a bottle round to fill it,,,,, I fill mine at home , never take a bottle with me hunting and have never needed to refill in all the years I have shot pcp,s so its a joke comment regarding dragging a divers bottle around, My shooting buddy uses a BSA ultra se for his hunting, just over 40 shots on a full charge yet I,ve never known him to refill whilst hunting , oh and he can hit some rabbits also.

Falconfn,,,wasn,t having a dig at UD mate ,, just a bit of banter

atb Evo

Owned both of the guns mentioned, still have the R10. The TX is a nice rifle, but as mentioned heavy and a pita to load, not for hunting imo i would rather use a break barrel. The R10 is a fantastic rifle, i have the super carbine too, light, short, multishot, quiet, 140 per charge for hunting its a no brainer, plinking, or the occasional armed walk you can use the TX

Bought my first PCP in, I think, 1992 (AA SM100) and had them ever since-hate to think how many years I have spent shooting vermin with them but I can honestly say that I have NEVER needed to refill while I have been out.

I have, an entire day out shooting with a BSA Ultra, set up and practise, refill gun, a few mid morning bunnies, some more practise, refill gun, lunchtime bunnies, practise, refill gun. The damned thing used to run out of power after about 40 shots! Add to that the MMC and that had to go, replaced it with a Mk 1 Super 10, did not need the 3l air cylinder then!

Thanks for your replies gents, i enjoyed reading your banter!

Virtually all of my rabbiting is done with my Sako rimfire, the air rifle will be used occasionally against pigeons and rats but mainly used for informal target shooting and used on my local ranges, atherton and prospect target club.

I did put in my original post that i accept PCP's rule the roost in terms of pinpoint accuracy but that i enjoy the challenge that comes from shooting springers even if the are less accurate, (its also why i like shooting english longbows rather than compounds).

My main area of concern isn't about rifle choice (but thanks you have all put my mind at rest regarding the reliability of the R10)but some ranges offer free fills of your PCP's whilst there and i thought that all compressors used for this purpose provide moisture and oil free air. Obviously dive quality air is the best but are you risking the internals of your rifle getting it filled at places like atherton etc.

Rgds

GSAW

hey evo, longbows go way way back, way before the 1700's :lol:

Enjoy a trad arrow myself :good:

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=0552d0ba229a2060b5b2003add3a2e8a&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=331012&p=3008489&md5check=1a56fe5b2de5e9985c97a554a79d5b68&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,zKlxr1tKnIU');//]]></script> tradpose.jpg&&0

Not for hunting I hope!