Is it an issue?

Scully

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com/2016/03/21/every-rifle-club-member-in-the-uk-is-now-on-a-database-with-terrorists/

I have to ask, is this an issue? For a start, did anyone ever doubt that details of firearms holders were passed between police and security agencies, and secondly, if it is an issue what are we supposed to do with this information, and furthermore if it is an issue then whey aren't our shooting organisations doing anything about it, and in particular, the organisation which is the source of this email, the NRA?

It's not an issue for me personally. I know that as a HO approved club member, my details were passed to the police. The 'terrorist' aspect of it - if it's true - seems to be a little odd, but god knows how many lists we are all on without knowing anything about it, so I won't be losing any sleep over it. ;)

I don't think it's an issue at all, and certainly not something I feel at all troubled about.

MI5 / 6 / 7-and-a-quarter may have information that is deliberately kept really tight, away from the police, due to it's sources or sensitivity. As such, it makes good sense for any such Firearms users to be checked against their databases too.

Some of the comments in that article come straight from the school of hack journalism, firearms owners are listed beside terrorists !!! Do they think we will catch terrorism by association or database proximity?

Everyone with an NI number is listed on a database with known criminals of every flavour and bent of deviancy yet no articles about that, likewise with driving licences, passports, etc.

'If a line in a database is transposed then it could ruin a life' as could a malicious allegation, a mistaken eye witness, etc. Likewise a mistaken dispensing of a drug in a high street pharmacy. Regardless of those other examples it is such a ridiculous statement to make, do they think there is a tick box next to each name that says Terrorist/Non Terrorist?

I am genuinely passionate about how data can be misplaced or misused, but I would have been shocked if my name wasn't on a centralised list.

I would far rather it wasn't, but when I signed up to wanting a gun then I accepted that I was very much making myself known to the authorities and being on a list was the tariff