Mmmmm.....can't see it myself.

Scully

Surely, it can't be that somebody actually listened:

And my brief reply for what it's worth:

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.
Just one or two things that are worth bearing in mind when discussing the matter with law abiding UK shooters. Firstly, no Chief Constable of any Force is going to issue an FAC or SGC to anyone for the purpose of acquiring/using "weapons". The term reflects the use of a firearm or shotgun - or anything else for that matter - but the UK shooter uses sporting guns. Secondly, it is perhaps somewhat unfortunate that we in the UK have adopted and American expression which can (quite rightly) cause alarm by association in the general population when the topic is aired, but, again, it is worth noting that the correct term for "semi automatic" is 'self loading'.
and:

And my reply:

Dear Mr Fox,

Thank you very much indeed for making the effort to reply to me personally.

Just one or two things that are worth bearing in mind when discussing the matter with law abiding UK shooters. Firstly, no Chief Constable of any Force is going to issue an FAC or SGC to anyone for the purpose of acquiring/using "weapons". The term reflects the use of a firearm or shotgun - or anything else for that matter - but the UK shooter uses sporting guns. Secondly, it is perhaps somewhat unfortunate that we in the UK have adopted and American expression which can (quite rightly) cause alarm by association in the general population when the topic is aired, but, again, it is worth noting that the correct term for "semi automatic" is 'self loading'.

I have also had a response from your colleague, Julie Girling and have copied her final sentence below:

"The weapons that were used in the Paris attacks were illegal. Their ownership was illegal and the trading of these weapons was illegal. Whilst it is right that at this time we check for any loopholes in the law and improve communication, any new legislation must be coupled with by much greater enforcement against illegal arms, crime and terrorism. "

Both your and her comments are welcome indeed. I could be easily be persuaded to say that if the final thrust of your endeavors relates simply to the three final elements that she details - but, perhaps more importantly, you could convince us of that - then you would have the full support of every single sports shooter in the UK - something that no one else has been able to achieve in view of the continual "knee jerk reactions" which we consistently have to endure.