HM2 Problems

Hi Everyone,

I thought HM2 owners were beaming joyful people with nothing but praise for their amazing rifles/calibre.

mick miller has suggested on the .17 Hornet thread they are experiencing horrendous problems with Mach2, taking the form of exploding rounds!

Can someone please elaborate on these issues?

Thanks

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Right I've had my mach 2 for about four or five years. No issues until recently when I bought some rounds.turns out they were made in 2004/5 and pretty inconsistent. Have been in touch with Edgar brothers about having them replaced. I like the calibre and I argue it has its place. I also have hmr and the 17 hornet.never had any issues before now so it's lookin like somehow I got some really old stock.

Right I've had my mach 2 for about four or five years. No issues until recently when I bought some rounds.turns out they were made in 2004/5 and pretty inconsistent. Have been in touch with Edgar brothers about having them replaced. I like the calibre and I argue it has its place. I also have hmr and the 17 hornet.never had any issues before now so it's lookin like somehow I got some really old stock.

That's interesting, and I'm not really following the old stock line, I have some 1985 Radway Green 7.62 and it is superb!

Is it storage, or is there something I'm missing on age?

Can't say mate.god knows where it's been all that time.it's ok for plinking at 50ms but not great at 100. I have fresher stuff and it's fine.I keep it stored in locked cabinet in the hotpress.

It's the first time I had any issues .I know you aren't a fan and see it as a failure. I'd have it ten times over normal 22 calibre any day of the week.just my opinion

Hi Everyone,

I thought HM2 owners were beaming joyful people with nothing but praise for their amazing rifles/calibre.

mick miller has suggested on the .17 Hornet thread they are experiencing horrendous problems with Mach2, taking the form of exploding rounds!

Can someone please elaborate on these issues?

Thanks

yes I can

Out of 50 at least half the cases are split lose heads

I have had no end of them squib and get stuck in the barrel

Hang fires are not nice.

Worst one I had the back of the case blew of and that really was a **** attack

But when the good ones go off its really spot on

Dekers, you're a buggeroo :)

I suspect you knew something weren't right, I've quietly been following your threads and comments about HMR ammunition.

I can't say i disagree with you either as an owner of a .17 HMR, and I am convinced it has something to do with the necking down of the case rather than any quality control. How to cure it is beyond me, but this little calibre has generally been brilliant for me, firing laser guided Bunny seeking missiles for some time now.

Sadly she will be up for sale shortly as my Farmer no longer needs my help :unhappy:

It's just too much risk to adopt a calibre with such incredibly limited ammunition supply. It's the only calibre I had that madr HMR look good in the bad times. When itbwas first launched ten years ago HMR ammo was itself in a different league of accuracy ability and that soon dissapeared but had since begun to return.

Obviously individuals will experience different situations, but I have never had any accuracy problems with my HMR, neither does it take me the 50 odd shots many seem to suggest to get it straight again after cleaning, first, or at worst second shot its spot on, but cleaning that tiny bore PROPERLY is a laborious time consuming delicate operation!

Anyway, I really was not aware of all these apparent issues with HM2 ammo, and as there is only one manufacturer of the stuff now I guess we know who to blame. I take it neck splits are not such an issue with HM2 though, less pressure I suspect, or am I wrong there?

Edited by Dekers

Dekers, you're a buggeroo :)

I suspect you knew something weren't right, I've quietly been following your threads and comments about HMR ammunition.

I can't say i disagree with you either as an owner of a .17 HMR, and I am convinced it has something to do with the necking down of the case rather than any quality control. How to cure it is beyond me, but this little calibre has generally been brilliant for me, firing laser guided Bunny seeking missiles for some time now.

Sadly she will be up for sale shortly as my Farmer no longer needs my help :unhappy:

Make of this what you will, via Shooting UK............

Sporting Gun

August 28, 2007

Bob Palmer at Hornady, in an e-mailed reply to George’s enquiry:

CCI makes the cases for all the .17 HMR ammo and loads it for the different companies. When they make the cases they draw the case out to a .22mag case that has a straight wall. Then the priming compound is put in the rim of the case. The case is spun to put the primer evenly in the rim.

After the priming is complete the case mouth is reduced to the .17 calibre to hold the bullet. The reduction process, however, puts stress on the neck of the case. They obviously cannot anneal the neck of the case to relieve the stress because of the compound in the rim, so from time to time you will get a case that cracks. Some batches may produce more splits than others. The chamber pressure on .17 ammo is so low that it does not hurt the chamber on the rifle.

They have tried to anneal the cases more before it’s formed to .17, but this did not eliminate the cracks altogether. If the cracks were minor I would continue to use the ammo. The cracks do not affect the accuracy of the round and the brass is not reloadable.

Obviously individuals will experience different situations, but I have never had any accuracy problems with my HMR, neither does it take me the 50 odd shots many seem to suggest to get it straight again after cleaning, first, or at worst second shot its spot on, but cleaning that tiny bore PROPERLY is a laborious time consuming delicate operation!

Anyway, I really was not aware of all these apparent issues with HM2 ammo, and as there is only one manufacturer of the stuff now I guess we know who to blame. I take it neck splits are not such an issue with HM2 though, less pressure I suspect, or am I wrong there?

sorry but neck splits are worse than my Hmr

making the heads lose in the throat and after the shot nearly all are split and a good way down

then again it is a really thin case

sorry but neck splits are worse than my Hmr

making the heads lose in the throat and after the shot nearly all are split and a good way down

then again it is a really thin case

It gets worse.

I really was not aware things were this bad with HM2.

The gutting part of it is it will clover leaf at 75yards

I have tested it with the cases split and not

I got 10 none splits and shot them all in an 1"

got 10 with neck splits and still 1" group

then a mix of 5 splits and 5 none and all still sub 1"

that is the good thing so it doesn't make a difference

but when ones squibs its not good at all

i have even made up some blank round just so when one dose get stuck up the spout its not the end of the night for me put one of these in and blow it out so can crack on

post-26280-0-80199200-1460364401_thumb.jpg

Not some dealers's damp storage cellar

Hopefully, not with the binoculars.

"Yes go to a gunshop, look through a few and then BUY THEM from the gunshop, not amazon! Otherwise eventually you will all be complaining when you have a 200 mile round trip to buy ammo from the only gunshops left sadly."

this is the one that blew its rim off and no there wasn't one up the spout already

I've only seen this once before with .22rf. There was nothing up the barrel, we put it down to the age of the ammo, some kindly soul had brought it to the rifle club where I used to shoot. I recall, there was a strange noise and a stinging burn across my wrist.

well ammo quality is an issue but one frankly I have not seen in either hmr or m2

never heard of rims exploding until now. I have 5 rimfires and short of a few split necks and soft strikes have escaped these issues

I buy a lot more M2 usually in 1000 bricks

Hannams had it in last time I spoke to them so any RFD not willing to get it in for you should probably not get any more of your money....