22-250 load

Very good load in the old 22-250 let us know how you get on. And it might just be me but I have seen the best groups for this cal further rather than tight to the max coal length of your rifle. Try 5 @15tho off and 20tho the drop to 30tho off and take some pic of groups

Very good load in the old 22-250 let us know how you get on. And it might just be me but I have seen the best groups for this cal further rather than tight to the max coal length of your rifle. Try 5 @15tho off and 20tho the drop to 30tho off and take some pic of groups

I've found that to find the accuracy node for my rifles, jumps of 10 or 15 thou were no-where near enough for load dev. I'd personally start at 100 thou off and work forwards in 30 thou increments and there'll be at least one node in that range for all rifles. Start with a load that is lightly compressed at 100 thou off.

The reason you start this way round and not the other way (ie with a hotter load close to the lands) is that pressure rise can become dangerous if you have a hot load close to the lands then work back.

My 308 likes a 50 thou jump with 150g pills and the 223 likes a 70 thou jump with 69g. Not all rifles will shoot well jammed or close to the lands...it just depends on barrel transient times for a specfic load (you're looking for the lowest point at the muzzle when the bullet exits which will vary with time from detonation of load to travel up the barrel).

I've learnt not to write off a powder unless pressures are too high for the velocities gained. Case near full with jump for the node at that load seems to provide good results in both my CFs.

Viht usually has a powder to suit most cals using this load development rational. It keeps costs down too with a 30 thou jump (ie 100, 70, 40 and 10 thou....one of those will get you into the ball park from where you can fine tune. 3 shots per jump = just 12 cartridges fired. work back or forth in 5 thou increments once the best major jump point found to fine tune, then work on slight powder load variations....everyone has their own way of doing things though).

Edited by Savhmr

I'm surprised you can see your target marks, they are tiny. Try drawing some diamond shapes and the corners intersect with the Crosshairs.

My Rem would not shoot 55gr vmax as well as Sierra blitzkings at the same weight and would shoot 50gr and 40g brilliantly. All down to the length.

55gr was with 36.5gr of tr140 which is very similar but I find slightly more powder than viht N140.

Having my barrel shortened at the moment so will have to see if the harmonics have changed when I get it back.

Edited by charlie-hunter

Jump lengths with factory bullets and factory rifles are an exercise in the confidence effect

Try measuring the bullets themselves in a box then box to box

Getting a bullet too close the the rifling is also dangerous as pressures peak on a different curve

If being close is so important can anyone explain why 58 and 55 grain bullets tend to shoot so well in factory 243? The jump is so vast you could measure it with a tape measure

Jump or jamb lengths are relivent in custom chambers with custom made bullets with far higher Tollerances levels

Factory guns are built with greater clearances so you have to try really hard to take the longest bullet for the calibre and jamb it

Gooseman

From the photos you've attached, it looks like you're loading in 1 grain intervals. That's quite a big jump in a medium sized case like a 22-250 (unless there were groups in between). I use 0.3 grain intervals in 223 size cases and 0.5 grain intervals in 308 size cases.

That bottom photo looks more like it.

Regarding loads, many will advise that the maximum load variation for development should be no greater than one 5th of the difference between max and min recommended loads. You'll find a node at one of those from where to fine tune. Regarding jump, and the points that Kent raised, the reason that some will shoot well with large jumps is that every rifle barrel will have (usually) two nodes between the jamb and bullet seated in as far as is safe for the load (between 100 and 150 thou depending on bullet length) where the barrel harmonics result in the muzzle being at a node of minimum movement (ie on axis or close to it). There's a way of calculating this for bullet time of flight from detonation of cartridge to bullet leaving the barrel. Find that in terms of muzzle velocity for the accuracy leade (whatever the bullet mass) and that should point to the accuracy leade points for your rifle for that velocity to which you can load different bullets to an accuracy load providing the mass and powder charge variations allow that velocity. I've just gone through this procedure and for two different loads, the accuracy load for my barrel in 223 is around 3000 fps for both bullets being trialled with two accuracy leades (20 thou and 100 thou for mine).

Easy way: do what you've been doing using the 1/5th load jumps max ( I normally use 0.2 to 0.4 grain intervals depending on the load) and shoot a group of 3 bullets at each starting at book figures for seating (around 100 thou for many bullets). Pick the tightest two groups and use those two loads. Next, load those charges at 30 thou intervals forward to 10 thou jump, and if the load isn't too compressed, one load at 130 thou jump. For each charge, you'll find one, if not two accuracy nodes. Sounds like a lot of hassle, but it's worth it to get an accurate load and you only need use this system once for each bullet/powder combo. Obviously, don't go straight into shooting groups until you've ladder tested the seating depths when seating deeper than book by loading back gradually to 130 thou jump as some powders can give more significant pressure rises than others when compressed...safety first as always.

Edited by Savhmr