camping in scotland

Curly87

me and a mate are going up to fort william end of this month to trek for a week around ben nevis and i was just seeing whether or not you can just camp any where with in reason?

also this time of year are you aloud to light camp fires? just thinking i know that the peak district has mostly been closed due to people lighting fires

i would of liked to get some stalking in once im up there but unfortunately I don’t think my budget will allow it, ah well mayb another time just have to take in the awesome views for now

cheers,

Tim

The midges in this part of Scotland are like midges nowhere else on earth! They are known for their ferocity, and unfortunately can spoil an otherwise really nice holiday.

If you don't mind eating loads of garlic, start about 2 or 3 days before you go and dont stop til you get home. This seems to help, it leeches from your pores and puts them off.

Midges arent that bad c'mon. Take a net if your bothered by them, creams and all that don't work.

I've been camping in alot of places in Scotland and never had anyone give me into trouble. I've even camped in a beer garden on one of the islands. People wont bother you if your courteous, not rowdy and take away your rubbish with you which will goes without saying really.

Camp fires are alright, not heard of not being able to start them except in some camp sites.

Hope this helps. :unsure:

nope havent booked a campsite yet we were hoping to go wild camping as it were, so probs be camping at the base of ben nevis and around that area

just trying to work out the best way to carry food to last 7 days :good: looking into buying some 24 hour army ration packs

just hope the whether is on our side, i hear the views up there are amazing

You can camp in the wild - just be considerate and leave the ground as you find it. Fires are ok too as long as you are careful (goes without saying).

Only thing might be if you have your tent and its on land not quite in the wilds enough, and it is actually a farmers field (yes there are at the foot of the Ben) the farmer might not be too pleased if you camp there for a week.

If you have any experience of walking up munros I advise against taking the 'tourist' path to the top - the views aren't the best on the way up otherwise.

Have a great time :good:

desperado

There is a paying campsite in Glen Nevis itself that is quite good but expensive (showers are always roasting hot!). you can camp further up the glen in the area opposite the Glen nevis crags (just after you cross the PollDubh bridge - not as grand as it sounds) and about 1/4 mile along on the right hand side - flat area reached after a short walk across a moderately wet area and there is/was a sort of large passing place/laybye that you could park in. We used to camp here years ago (so it might have changed since then). As far as food goes, there are some great shops in Fort william itself which is only about 3 to 4 miles from where I'm talking about and prices are average for your local supermarket. As far as fires go, follow the country code and if you have a wee fire to keep you warm, make sure you keep it wee and well ringed by stones :good:

Have a great time but remember - after the lakes this is the next wettest part of Britain :lol: :blink:

Pushkin.