Lansky sharpeners?

Ropemunky

Afternoon folks long time no see.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Lansky sharpening systems?

Especially the ones that are made up of 5 stones that you connect to a metal rod and a jig that give you a set angle of honing.

Many thanks Curt.

Excellent thank you gents.

I was to purchase it, I would definitely get the base for it.

Has anyone had any experience with the leather polishing hone that you can get for it?

Leather hone is overpriced & undersized

The leather strop boards I use are about 24" long & 3" to 4" wide, and double sided.

Something along those lines would be a better addition to the sharpening set

I had a lansky, too much of a faff IMHO. I can sharpen freehand, and honestly it's worth learning as then you can use any abrasive, even the bottom of a coffee mug.

Failing that, edge pro apex is probably the best /easiest system, and you can buy a knockoff from Amazooooon for about 15 quid. Comes with four waterstones, a pen to colour the edge with so you can tell what angle you're sharpening at, it's a good bit of kit

Not used the set with the jig, I have Japanese waterstones and the strop for my cutthroat razor for sharpening at home, but the little draw through blade medic is a really nice bit of kit for carrying with you, no use for anything with a skandi grind (I would recommend a fallkniven DC4 for those) but great for anything with a secondary bevel, has a ceramic pull through so it doesn't take too much metal off like a lot of them and the little rats tail diamond hone on it is great for gut hooks and serrations.

The lansky puck is nice for field sharpening axes as well, so I do think they make some quality stuff.

Do get the blade medic though, the smiths pocket pal is similar and a tiny bit cheaper, but nowhere near the same quality, plastic rather than metal and the sharpening surfaces are different and much more aggressive so it'll turn every knife you own into a boning knife.

Edited by Jamesey1981