Pizza Oven - Fire Clay

Not sure whether this fits in Craft and DIY or Food and Drink. I'm building a pizza oven in my back garden and I intend it to be roughly 20 inches in internal diameter - All the instructables and stuff like that tell you to use clay mixed with sand and straw to build up the insulation. My two questions that they don't answer are, how do you calculate the amount of clay required on a 2 sand to 1 clay mix? It seems to be sold in 25KG bags, but on the basis that it's quite dense, I've got no real idea of what coverage that would give me.

And secondly and possibly the most crucial, as the answer to this probably provides the answer to the first, any idea of anyone in easy reach of Essex that might stock it in sufficient quantities. The average clay supply shop sells modelling clay only.

Anybody got any experience that they would like to share on pitfalls, shortcuts or acts of genius?

I spoke to a guy i saw make one at work once just for the lads to use for making bait, just standard bricks and mortar with a half inch thick layer of mortar over the top, he did say he had one at home that he made using proper fire bricks and fire cement but he used it all the time, he never mentioned anything to do with clay, as you probably know they are very heavy aswell he built the one at work on a pallet and used a fork lift to move it around

hi fatcatspat,

go to the fornobravo website for all your answers to anything homebuild clay, pizza outdoor ovens, it is a forum and supplies list stockist. also check this link out. you can use fireclay, you can also use cement fondue which is refractory cement mixed with firebrick crushed grog as dome. i am about to start in the next two months a major full build outdoor oven from scratch, not that i am any bulder but going to have a go. i will be using firebrick, cement fondue, fire insulation blanket, perlite, cement brick and a multitude of other bits, have researched my own build for months. i want it to be a substantial and long term build for my use. that said simple clay ovens can give years of use if maintained. good luck with your build and keep us posted.

atb 7diaw

http://www.pizzaovensupplies.co.uk/fire-bricks-materials/

What is the stone that is used to place the pizza on? I would like to know!

For the base, they seem to recommend sand with firebricks laid as the floor

7diaw - I've got to build the base and have a massive bag of vermiculite left over from a tandoor oven build (now that was easy and very, very effective!!), so I planned to mix the clay with sand to build up the initial layer over a sand dome "cast" and then cover with vermiculite and finish with a pretty brick layer on top.

Have a look on the bay as there seems to be loads of old cast bread oven doors available that would add a massively professional touch.

And Matt - You're on - I'll give you a shout next week.

Cheers!!

FCS

Edited by Fatcatsplat

• 4 weeks later...

https://wordery.com/your-brick-oven-russell-jeavons-9781904943259?currency=GBP&gtrck=N3JEY2VDRmFnRTZHTCtRY2Vrc3gzMlc4Wkg5dU5FWFZTdjdRV1djTHMvVUdiRVdnWWNLMHNuSCtHVTJDZno3VmthbkYvSlJlSnBTL0N0d3MxbFF1R1E9PQ&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwYK8BRC0ta6LhOPC0v0BEiQApv6jYUbgMCU5kFCkRZqbkJ7rDy2uY63giAdO1UdRjTn5IsMaAqPo8P8HAQ

I used this a guide for my build , been built for about 7 years now.

Used reclaimed brick for dome and staffs clay pavers for the cooking floor. Had a blacksmith make the arch for the door.

Excellentoven and still going strong but I would say to OP make it as big as you can as I have internal diameter of 750 and if you're doing a full roast with trimmings space soon runs out !

Nothing better than a slow cooked leg of lamb in the middle of winter 😃

Good luck

Cheers

J

Edited by jloc