Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Headed out last night to 2 farms which cover about 800 acres total. Ground is pretty flat so cant do much without my shooting sticks. Parked the truck, got the caller...no sticks....left them at home....given its an hour round trip I wasnt going back for them.......

Decided to go to the one bit of the farm where there is a small bank that I can shoot from. Set up the caller and played the vixen mating call. within 2 seconds I spotted a pair of eyes crossing from right to left. Caller off and got behind the rifle to see a fox heading off across the field. Quick squeak stopped her long enough for a 70 yard chest shot. Nice little vixen and a quick start to the evening 

Yi57nT1.jpg

The second part of the farm was flooded so I didnt bother going wading. 

Headed to farm 2 and the flood defence alongside the river. Got there and mrs fox was sat on top of the bank....got set up for the shot and she headed down the bank and into the next field. Quick squeak and down she went to a bib shot at about 100 yards 

TJORgmV.jpg

2 vixens so a good outing. 

Cheers for reading. 

Well done lads, it seems everyone is still getting good results but me! I went out for a look round last night and as it was good and dark I was hopeful of seeing a few. As it was I saw some eyes a  field away which showed no real interest in my call and disappeared :no:. Never saw another thing apart from badgers, which were not scrapping so provided little entertainment!! 

I have a couple of other farms which I have put some baits and cameras out so hopefully they will produce some later this week.

Merry Christmas to you all and hope the new year is a good one for you.

4 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Headed out last night to 2 farms which cover about 800 acres total. Ground is pretty flat so cant do much without my shooting sticks. Parked the truck, got the caller...no sticks....left them at home....given its an hour round trip I wasnt going back for them.......

Decided to go to the one bit of the farm where there is a small bank that I can shoot from. Set up the caller and played the vixen mating call. within 2 seconds I spotted a pair of eyes crossing from right to left. Caller off and got behind the rifle to see a fox heading off across the field. Quick squeak stopped her long enough for a 70 yard chest shot. Nice little vixen and a quick start to the evening 

Yi57nT1.jpg

The second part of the farm was flooded so I didnt bother going wading. 

Headed to farm 2 and the flood defence alongside the river. Got there and mrs fox was sat on top of the bank....got set up for the shot and she headed down the bank and into the next field. Quick squeak and down she went to a bib shot at about 100 yards 

TJORgmV.jpg

2 vixens so a good outing. 

Cheers for reading. 

Well done mike the mating season is definitely upon us seem to be responding well. Got a few to try tomorrow night hopefully

4 hours ago, WelshMike said:

28 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Well done lads, it seems everyone is still getting good results but me! I went out for a look round last night and as it was good and dark I was hopeful of seeing a few. As it was I saw some eyes a  field away which showed no real interest in my call and disappeared . Never saw another thing apart from badgers, which were not scrapping so provided little entertainment!! 

I have a couple of other farms which I have put some baits and cameras out so hopefully they will produce some later this week.

Merry Christmas to you all and hope the new year is a good one for you.

Good effort mate. If you have digital caller now is the time to be out with the different fox calls as the man above and a lot others are getting results with vixen calls.

Funny when they are on heat they show very little interest in other calls. 

Merry Christmas all hope santa brings you all thermal night vision and new rifles:good::lol:

29 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Good effort mate. If you have digital caller now is the time to be out with the different fox calls as the man above and a lot others are getting results with vixen calls.

Funny when they are on heat they show very little interest in other calls. 

Ah that could be the problem then as I don't have a digital caller (yet!). I heard some calls from some woodland which borders the permission I was on and the farmer said he has heard foxes calling most nights. Its good old mouth calls and whistles I'm using at the minute :whistling:.

Just need to convince my missus that I need a digital caller! I will probably have more luck convincing Santa with that one :lol:.

Had an interesting night last night but nothing shot....

I knew there were some foxes at home due to the tracks in the snow. Got set up at the bottom of the yard with the caller in one of the fields about 70 yards away. By the time I got back from setting the caller up I heard a dog fox bark. Vixen caller on ......all hell broke loose. Dog fox came streaking in along a fence line and dashed straight past the caller behind another fence and off onto next doors ground. No chance of a shot.....

I looked to the right where the fox had gone and there were 2 foxes scrapping in the next field who then shot past me about 20 yards away and didnt present a shot...It seemed that in the time between spotting them with the NV spotter and getting behind the rifle for a shot they were gone. 

Lots more calling from the caller and the dog fox...spotted a couple of foxes again in a different field...behind the rifle and no shot due to yet another fence...there were 3 of the little blighters this time having a good old scrap and gekkering like mad :lol: oh and mr or mrs badger in the field as well. 

After 1 1/2 hours of amusement and frustration I walked the 50 meters back to the house. 

Think I will be back out again tonight to see if I can have some more fun. 

On the matter of electronic callers this is the time of year where not having one is a definite disadvantage. 

13 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Had an interesting night last night but nothing shot....

I knew there were some foxes at home due to the tracks in the snow. Got set up at the bottom of the yard with the caller in one of the fields about 70 yards away. By the time I got back from setting the caller up I heard a dog fox bark. Vixen caller on ......all hell broke loose. Dog fox came streaking in along a fence line and dashed straight past the caller behind another fence and off onto next doors ground. No chance of a shot.....

I looked to the right where the fox had gone and there were 2 foxes scrapping in the next field who then shot past me about 20 yards away and didnt present a shot...It seemed that in the time between spotting them with the NV spotter and getting behind the rifle for a shot they were gone. 

Lots more calling from the caller and the dog fox...spotted a couple of foxes again in a different field...behind the rifle and no shot due to yet another fence...there were 3 of the little blighters this time having a good old scrap and gekkering like mad  oh and mr or mrs badger in the field as well. 

After 1 1/2 hours of amusement and frustration I walked the 50 meters back to the house. 

Think I will be back out again tonight to see if I can have some more fun. 

On the matter of electronic callers this is the time of year where not having one is a definite disadvantage. 

Good work on those two Mike, but that sounds like a bonkers night. Foxes everywhere but nothing to shoot. :lol:

Agree re: the electronic caller. If you do pick one up fire me over your email address Rich and I'll email over all of my calls. MP3 will work on both Icotec and Foxpro. I've bought some others from the foxpro website but they'll only work on a foxpro.

Edited by racing snake

I had one come in to the mating call on the fox pro the other night but rather than come straight in it went all around to come in from behind. Setting off the house light and disappearing into the orchard. 

We have been out tonight (just back drinking my tea) and have played the caller and not had a great deal of interest. It's strange how sometimes it works really well and then other times it's a bit hit and miss.

hi all been out tonight  for  a look around  but not much about then the fog came down about 10 15 said to my mate we lamp the last fields   away from the trent as fog was getting to  bad  

spots a pair of eyes not sure how far it was  going to range find  it in the day  was well over 200 yards so well pleased with head shot gwH05yW.jpg

7 hours ago, babs2020 said:

hi all been out tonight  for  a look around  but not much about then the fog came down about 10 15 said to my mate we lamp the last fields   away from the trent as fog was getting to  bad  

spots a pair of eyes not sure how far it was  going to range find  it in the day  was well over 200 yards so well pleased with head shot gwH05yW.jpg

Great shot. Fog ruined our chances last night went to some hilly ground I have but it was to thick. Carried on to some different patches but saw a few but no good. Give up on the triple figure now but we wont be far off with a lot to go at friday night. 

8 hours ago, babs2020 said:

Well done mate :good:

Due to the fog and an alcoholic beverage I decided not to bother last night. Might see what the weather is doing tonight and see if I can actually shoot a fox rather then just watch them charging round my fields :lol:

9 hours ago, racing snake said:

Good work on those two Mike, but that sounds like a bonkers night. Foxes everywhere but nothing to shoot.

Agree re: the electronic caller. If you do pick one up fire me over your email address Rich and I'll email over all of my calls. MP3 will work on both Icotec and Foxpro. I've bought some others from the foxpro website but they'll only work on a foxpro.

Cheers Stu. It was mental watching the foxes charge all over the place, after a while it became so comical that it was funny. I do wonder how I managed to put my self in the most stupid position that I couldnt get a clear shot. I think I will set up somewhere more sensible next time...or remove a few of the fences :lol::lol:

Sounds like your got it all going on on your doorstep Mike! Nice shooting babs, 200 yard shot is not to be sniffed at especially at night! :good:

Thanks Stu, if I pick an electronic caller up I will be in touch!! Good luck on Friday Ed, will it be a long night then to get you to the ton?!!

3 hours ago, Strongman said:

Sounds like your got it all going on on your doorstep Mike! Nice shooting babs, 200 yard shot is not to be sniffed at especially at night! :good:

Thanks Stu, if I pick an electronic caller up I will be in touch!! Good luck on Friday Ed, will it be a long night then to get you to the ton?!!

We had a lot of tracks in the snow some of which were within 15 feet of the house. To be fair it looks like nobody shoots them where we are apart from once a year with the guns and dogs (who are due in the next couple of weeks). I have agreed that they can shoot our ground as long as nobody brings vehicles on. Lets see how they behave and take it from there. One of my neighbors coordinates it locally otherwise I would have been less inclined to let them on the ground. 

One of the farms I shoot was having a fox drive a few weeks back. I think it was the Sunday we had a dumping of snow! When I speak to the farmer next I will let you know how they got on. I’ve picked up a fox visiting out garden quite regularly. I’m baiting an area behind our house to see if I can sort him out! 

15 hours ago, Strongman said:

One of the farms I shoot was having a fox drive a few weeks back. I think it was the Sunday we had a dumping of snow! When I speak to the farmer next I will let you know how they got on. I’ve picked up a fox visiting out garden quite regularly. I’m baiting an area behind our house to see if I can sort him out! 

Cheers mate. Good luck with your visitor. 

Instead of shooting last night the good lady and I went food shopping .....oh the joy of a busy Tesco store and lots of food that has best before dates of the 24th Dec...pain in the bottom. 

Since I have no internet at home at the moment I will wish all of my fellow fox club members a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Take care. 

not been out much of late on foxes with all pheasant shoots im loading at  and work on the farm but  a lend of a thermal has prompted me to make a  start.. as before we know it be lambing time soon on the farm.quick walk to a spot that usually produces didnt fail spotted fox straight away but not shootable so set caller away with  vixen mating call  on but just sat there, switched call to gekkering after couple minutes ,scanned again with thermal to see one coming through hedge 150 yds away got down on rifle and delivered 50 grn v max to its head nice vixen in cracking condition .spotted two more foxes  but they slipped through a wood  into gardens,must say thermal is unbeleivable but at over £3000 ill stick to nv worked for me for years thats unless i can forget to hand this back  

fox1.JPG

Edited by remmy1100

On 12/24/2017 at 12:08, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Nice work RS as always buddy.

I was out the other night and we called a vixen in from around 500 yds away to the vixen on heat call ....absolutely screamed in.

Had  a few vixens come to the vixen call ....must be territorial aggression.

A very different response FH1 from what we have seen.

All the ones that we have had respond to the 'on heat call' have come in warily. Often going about and walking in rather than running like they might with a distress call. I called one from the top field by my house it went all the way down the lane to the front of my house and through the orchard to the caller (no shot). I wonder if its about the level of competition?