Fox club

WelshMike

24 minutes ago, racing snake said:

Nice one Mike. Shame about the sitter. We've all been there! :lol:

FINALLY managed to get out myself last night! Planned the quarry, and a couple of other spots in the area. I'd set a trail cam up a week or so ago at the quarry so was eager to check it. Got parked up and went to collect the cam before getting set up to shoot. Good to see the bait had been left alone for a week until a fox had shown itself on Saturday night (the night of the fog!). Decided to try a bit of a different shooting position to usual, so got set up on a flat-bed trailer with the caller up the hill in front of me. Tried the vixen call for a bit but no show so left it quiet for another half hour then ran it again. After a few minutes Charlie comes over the brow to have a look-see. He hung around a bit too close to the top of the hill for a safe shot to begin with, but eventually coaxed him down to a safe shooting spot. Nice change for me to be shooting off the bipod, dead as a doornail before he hit the ground.

Nothing else seen but have re-baited with a couple of unlucky rabbits, so will check again at weekend. Pretty sure he's the one on the trail cam though.

39146773104_0a01c2a92c_z.jpg

25983742818_c2ea0d41f3_c.jpg

Nicely done mate. Lovely looking fox. Be very cautious posting pics with any sort of bag as Ed will start the abuse as he has a bag phobia :lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Nicely done mate. Lovely looking fox. Be very cautious posting pics with any sort of bag as Ed will start the abuse as he has a bag phobia 

Cheers Mike. To be fair I think Ed's main issue with your bag was the reflective Louis Vuitton label. :lol: Speaking of bags, and all things silly - we haven't had a tree fox for a while. Who was the last one that had one of those again?

Edited by racing snake

3 minutes ago, racing snake said:

Cheers Mike. To be fair I think Ed's main issue with your bag was the reflective Louis Vuitton label. :lol: Speaking of bags, and all things silly - we haven't had a tree fox for a while. Who was the last one that had one of those again?

:lol: I cant recall with the tree fox apart from everybody took the pee out of me then Ed and Grant shot one that came from an Alomd tree and Mark shot one in some northern tree :lol:

Off out to find one tomorrow night that has black hair all down its back like an alsation (to be fair my mate saw it in broad daylight and it sound like a weird old fox) My mate is on the rifle so lets see what we find. 

2 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice one Mike. Shame about the sitter. We've all been there! :lol:

FINALLY managed to get out myself last night! Planned the quarry, and a couple of other spots in the area. I'd set a trail cam up a week or so ago at the quarry so was eager to check it. Got parked up and went to collect the cam before getting set up to shoot. Good to see the bait had been left alone for a week until a fox had shown itself on Saturday night (the night of the fog!). Decided to try a bit of a different shooting position to usual, so got set up on a flat-bed trailer with the caller up the hill in front of me. Tried the vixen call for a bit but no show so left it quiet for another half hour then ran it again. After a few minutes Charlie comes over the brow to have a look-see. He hung around a bit too close to the top of the hill for a safe shot to begin with, but eventually coaxed him down to a safe shooting spot. Nice change for me to be shooting off the bipod, dead as a doornail before he hit the ground.

Nothing else seen but have re-baited with a couple of unlucky rabbits, so will check again at weekend. Pretty sure he's the one on the trail cam though.

39146773104_0a01c2a92c_z.jpg

25983742818_c2ea0d41f3_c.jpg

good work stu looks like you got your man

2 hours ago, racing snake said:

Cheers Mike. To be fair I think Ed's main issue with your bag was the reflective Louis Vuitton label. Speaking of bags, and all things silly - we haven't had a tree fox for a while. Who was the last one that had one of those again?

to be fair to mike he did swear blind it was for his spotter:hmm:which is fine but why would you need lipstick and perfume in a pink bag that carries a night vision spotter:no:

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

I cant recall with the tree fox apart from everybody took the pee out of me then Ed and Grant shot one that came from an Alomd tree and Mark shot one in some northern tree 

Off out to find one tomorrow night that has black hair all down its back like an alsation (to be fair my mate saw it in broad daylight and it sound like a weird old fox) My mate is on the rifle so lets see what we find. 

i remember the tree story by our great founder:hmm:which to some of us maybe hard to believe but this sentence above where mike has a mate is going too far:no: 

well thats my weekly p**s take of mike i am happy dont even need to shoot any foxes:yahoo:

14 hours ago, Daieye said:

Well Mike 40yds away how did you miss that

Stuart the fox in the trail cam has two eyes

Well done guys

I am not sure exactly how I missed...something to do with being a retard perhaps :lol::lol:

14 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

good work stu looks like you got your man

to be fair to mike he did swear blind it was for his spotterwhich is fine but why would you need lipstick and perfume in a pink bag that carries a night vision spotter

i remember the tree story by our great founderwhich to some of us maybe hard to believe but this sentence above where mike has a mate is going too far 

well thats my weekly p**s take of mike i am happy dont even need to shoot any foxes:yahoo:

:sad1: I do have 1 or 2 mates...the fact that they are paid for testifying to that is irrelevant :lol: 

Also how dare you say that the tree incident was hard to believe when you shot 1 less then a couple of weeks later from a flippin almond tree..or had you boys been on the apple juice :lol:

Nice shooting Stu and at least you got one from your trip Mike, even if the pic wouldn’t make it into cosmopolitan like your bag! :lol:

I’m intrigued about these tree foxes! ! Has someone shot one out of a tree then? My dad told me when he was a lad he saw a fox climb into a hedge and sit on top while the hunt went by, it then waited and coolly climbed down and followed the hunt from a safe distance!

2 hours ago, Strongman said:

Nice shooting Stu and at least you got one from your trip Mike, even if the pic wouldn’t make it into cosmopolitan like your bag! :lol:

I’m intrigued about these tree foxes! ! Has someone shot one out of a tree then? My dad told me when he was a lad he saw a fox climb into a hedge and sit on top while the hunt went by, it then waited and coolly climbed down and followed the hunt from a safe distance!

The tree foxes were all shot on the ground. About a year ago I was out at one of my permissions and saw some fox like eye shine from up an oak tree. I had dismissed it a couple of days earlier as it couldn't possibly be a fox up a tree. On the second occasion I set up the sticks and looked through the NV...it was a fox up the tree with a second at the bottom of the tree. The tree fox disappeared and popped out behind the tree at which point it got a 58 grain bullet in the chest. When I got over to it the tree in question was a large oak, on a bank with a fallen branch at a nice gentle angle. The fox had curled up about 12 foot up. There was much scorn directed at me then Ed and Grant saw one up an Almond tree (or something similar) . 

Edited by WelshMike

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

The tree foxes were all shot on the ground. About a year ago I was out at one of my permissions and saw some fox like eye shine from up an oak tree. I had dismissed it a couple of days earlier as it couldn't possibly be a fox up a tree. On the second occasion I set up the sticks and looked through the NV...it was a fox up the tree with a second at the bottom of the tree. The tree fox disappeared and popped out behind the tree at which point it got a 58 grain bullet in the chest. When I got over to it the tree in question was a large oak, on a bank with a fallen branch at a nice gentle angle. The fox had curled up about 12 foot up. There was much scorn directed at me then Ed and Grant saw one up an Almond tree (or something similar) . 

to be fair the one we shot. Was taken by my partner in crime Grant in the middle of the hill. We then had to walk half a mile to find a tree where the fox was then perched for photo purposes. 

I hope I have not let the cat out of the bag or should I say fox out of the tree by coming clean on our follow up to mikes tree fox

I think i have a tree fox here. The one that has been giving me the run around for a few weeks now. Baited the tree and put spare pheasant carcasses high up in the branches and its had the lot. :yes: squirrel and 5 pheasant bodies in a single night. How much can these things eat? Now looking for a very fat fox. 

I saw a tree fox this year when I had a trip down to Wilts , but never got a shot.

Anyway I went out last night at 7.30 and baited my usual spot with pheasant and duck carcasses , no sign of fox so I went to another permission I have just gained , called in a fox straight away but very shy and fled immediately , there are other people on the ground so will have my work cut out til cubs time :yes:

9.30 I decided to call back and check the bait , there was a fox on it :yes:

N9We7T6.jpg

20180124_221323-800x600.jpg.43c8da62e6c6a7891b1a75699a8f0b88.jpg

Popped out last night with a fellow shooter on his bit, I was a bit dubious about going out due to the forecast, strong winds and possible rain. Well if we get blown off the truck we could go for a pint and a bag of crisps, at least we were out.

Pulled into a field and spotted 4 Fox's, 1 on a pile of bales 4 high, blimey how did you get up there. Started to call and got some interest from one on the ground, but strangely 2 in the far distance (250-300yds)ran to our right and disappeared causing the 1 that was coming to the call to kind of run the opposite way. We lost sight of the 3, so I went back to the 1 on the bale, nothing there.  Blimey was the call that bad, I thought they would have liked Shania Twain ( years ago I used an IPod and Shania Twain popped up instead of a rabbit in distress) anyway scanning the field for the climbing fox it was spotted at just over 200yrds sniffing around. Gave it a yell to stop it then sent a 53 grain vmax on the way. 216 yards with a nice 15mph full value wind, mate was impressed, (He should come out with me more often lol)

20180124_204311-600x800.jpg.0d24bddd81c36453dee7361106f9a3e1.jpg

This next one was a little boring, he came into a Fox mating call from our right again a fair bit of correction for wind meant putting the cross hair 1/2 way across it's abdomen for a chest shot, about the same as the previous one, but this was a little closer at 170yds. 

Edited by Dougy

well  had a bit of a night last night went out about 8 30 ish  was going to pick a shotgun up for mate but guys gates was all locked  so got setup and have  a scan around for about  mins 45 no signs of anything so  have a look in a back field what s had a lot of water holding  on it 

and pick up set off eyes in bottom of hedge row  was in some long grass  but never moved at about 160  one small dog fox down 

so get touch with guy with shotgun go and pick up after a long chat i  say to my  mate shall we have one  last scan then off home pick a set off in field it  go s through hedge row so have to back up make s it way to small  bit of wood  so put call on vixen in heat just keeps looking at us so  then changed to rabbit  distress  and 5mins a fox come running  in to about 60   not the 1 st fox  this come from across a field and pick it up as it was running bang

number 2  down as  we start walking to it see its  still moving  my mate puts another one into it  as i get close still moving so mate brings shotgun puts one into it  at 10 yards dead so get by tail and drag  back to truck for a pic this is what append  next i go to swing fox up on to bull bar of truck and the ******* thing turned its head and bit my hand  so had night in hospital so  make sure check they dead never had anything like this happen in all my nIwUsfM.png

Another one tonight following on from the trip out with EE 2 weeks ago. 

Didnt have much luck walking round the fields last Friday and my dad saw the landowner in the week who said she saw two foxes in the garden and round the stableyard during the day this week. 

Had a squeak the minute I pulled up and saw some eyes on the brow of the hill but obviously no safe shot.

Decided to setup my Bluetooth speaker in a tree, play some calls from the speaker, whilst setup 45 yards away behind a water trough along side the stables. 

Played a tenterfield whistle sound for about 10 minutes with no joy. Switched to a hand squeak, 1 minute later fox strolls past the chicken coop 20 yards and walks up to the tree, give him a small oi and it was all over.

Head shot with the HMR. 

2832B8DE-9902-4858-92BC-55678F1746EF.jpeg

Was planning to go out last night anyway, but at about 5pm had a call from a rather irate cousin 'bloody Fox has been and had my chickens today!' Change of venue then. Sadly Clive Ward has let me down, still no delivery of my new Sunnranger ruby, and he also has my busted standard Sunnranger in for repair. Oh deary me :no: 

Only thing for it, a rummage in the 'cupboard of love' and luckily I find an old T20 nv torch - fixed power and a rather limp beam; but it worked. Off we trot. Pulled off road onto the track, which I can only get halfway along in my car. Miss the Shogun, but not the fuel bills! I get kitted up, and set the .17 Hornet up on the roof of the car, lets see what the nv looks like through the scope. Eyeshine across the field!! in front of some big black round silage bales! didn't even look through the thermal yet either - lucky timing. Its deffo a fox, but kind of hopping about, rabbit style - weird. I take the shot crack-plop! solid side on chest shot and foxy drops on the spot. About 120 metres away, and I was not able to use much mag on the scope at all, soon as I try cranking up the mag, the image goes dark, Damn and blast you Clive Ward :unhappy: I walk over and the Vixen has half her foot is missing, 

Wander back onto the track, and up to the five bar gate leading into the main perm field. Quick scan about with the thermal, and another fox is mousing about by the far hedge, deploy the new sticks! I have begrudgingly upgraded my trusty old green garden cane jobbers for a new pair of Sealand Decoy sticks, £15 off as they were 'ex-demo' I am forced to admit these are MUCH more sturdy, great stuff. Another shot on low mag, where usually I would crank it right up for a perfectly placed shot, crack plop! fox number two is down - result! probably only been here twenty minutes! This ones a dog and looking a similar age to the vixen from just over the hedge, may have been pair? I stick the caller out, but nothing shows for the next hour or so. I have a mooch about, but no action. Text cousin with the good news, and wander back to the car. Try ringing the chinker to order a curry but line busy as always; so decide to drive on over and order in person.

Half hour later Im back in the motor, curry and a four pack of beers nestled on the passenger seat . Decide to take the long way home and swing by a new perm, soon as I pull up it dawns on me I have left the caller remote hung on a gate at cousins fields ggrrrrrrrr!! Quick sweep, but nothing here. Do I collect remote tomorrow? nah! off I drive back over to collect it before home, will be a pain replacing it if it goes missing. Curry will need a reheat at this rate! Finally back at Cousins, park half way up track and briskly walk on to gate. Remote hung exactly where I left it, and having thermal in pocket can't resist a quick sweep - wish I hadn't (sort of) Fox running around in circles, in field where I dropped the second one earlier! and the rifle is in the car just a few metres back along track behind me - aaarrgghhhh!! back I jog, trying not to splash all the puddles :lol:      The lovely aroma of my cooling curry has really filled the car by now!

Phew back at the gate with sticks and rifle, and fox is covering a wider area now, still head down scenting the ground; but probably trying to work out why he can smell the other fox, but not find it. He just won't respond to my gentle calls, and refuses to stay in a shootable position for a good twenty minutes. Finally pauses long enough and I grab my opportunity, dropping him in his tracks about 100 metres away under the far hedge. Try and take a photo, but iPhone has disabled the flash, as battery too low - ***!!!! off I trudge back to the motor, and manage a picture out the car door, with phone plugged into charger. 

What a night!! finally ate reheated curry and have one beer at 11.30pm, alarm set for 5am as I have a bit of overtime this weekend :whistling:

Hammo

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

2 hours ago, Hammo said:

Was planning to go out last night anyway, but at about 5pm had a call from a rather irate cousin 'bloody Fox has been and had my chickens today!' Change of venue then. Sadly Clive Ward has let me down, still no delivery of my new Sunnranger ruby, and he also has my busted standard Sunnranger in for repair. Oh deary me  

Only thing for it, a rummage in the 'cupboard of love' and luckily I find an old T20 nv torch - fixed power and a rather limp beam; but it worked. Off we trot. Pulled off road onto the track, which I can only get halfway along in my car. Miss the Shogun, but not the fuel bills! I get kitted up, and set the .17 Hornet up on the roof of the car, lets see what the nv looks like through the scope. Eyeshine across the field!! in front of some big black round silage bales! didn't even look through the thermal yet either - lucky timing. Its deffo a fox, but kind of hopping about, rabbit style - weird. I take the shot crack-plop! solid side on chest shot and foxy drops on the spot. About 120 metres away, and I was not able to use much mag on the scope at all, soon as I try cranking up the mag, the image goes dark, Damn and blast you Clive Ward  I walk over and the Vixen has half her foot is missing, 

Wander back onto the track, and up to the five bar gate leading into the main perm field. Quick scan about with the thermal, and another fox is mousing about by the far hedge, deploy the new sticks! I have begrudgingly upgraded my trusty old green garden cane jobbers for a new pair of Sealand Decoy sticks, £15 off as they were 'ex-demo' I am forced to admit these are MUCH more sturdy, great stuff. Another shot on low mag, where usually I would crank it right up for a perfectly placed shot, crack plop! fox number two is down - result! probably only been here twenty minutes! This ones a dog and looking a similar age to the vixen from just over the hedge, may have been pair? I stick the caller out, but nothing shows for the next hour or so. I have a mooch about, but no action. Text cousin with the good news, and wander back to the car. Try ringing the chinker to order a curry but line busy as always; so decide to drive on over and order in person.

Half hour later Im back in the motor, curry and a four pack of beers nestled on the passenger seat . Decide to take the long way home and swing by a new perm, soon as I pull up it dawns on me I have left the caller remote hung on a gate at cousins fields ggrrrrrrrr!! Quick sweep, but nothing here. Do I collect remote tomorrow? nah! off I drive back over to collect it before home, will be a pain replacing it if it goes missing. Curry will need a reheat at this rate! Finally back at Cousins, park half way up track and briskly walk on to gate. Remote hung exactly where I left it, and having thermal in pocket can't resist a quick sweep - wish I hadn't (sort of) Fox running around in circles, in field where I dropped the second one earlier! and the rifle is in the car just a few metres back along track behind me - aaarrgghhhh!! back I jog, trying not to splash all the puddles       The lovely aroma of my cooling curry has really filled the car by now!

Phew back at the gate with sticks and rifle, and fox is covering a wider area now, still head down scenting the ground; but probably trying to work out why he can smell the other fox, but not find it. He just won't respond to my gentle calls, and refuses to stay in a shootable position for a good twenty minutes. Finally pauses long enough and I grab my opportunity, dropping him in his tracks about 100 metres away under the far hedge. Try and take a photo, but iPhone has disabled the flash, as battery too low - ***!!!! off I trudge back to the motor, and manage a picture out the car door, with phone plugged into charger. 

What a night!! finally ate reheated curry and have one beer at 11.30pm, alarm set for 5am as I have a bit of overtime this weekend 

Hammo

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

top work. good to hear suspension is over

Nice shooting Hammo, certainly sounds like a frantic night! :lol: Nothing worse than leaving kit in the field. Have done it in the past with trigger sticks.

Managed a few hours out myself last night. Moon was threatening but fairly good cover from the patchy cloud. Incidentally, speaking of the moon, not only are we having a  rare Blue moon on the 31st (2nd full moon in a month), but this one's also a Blood moon on the same night - be another 150 years before we get one of those again (Super, Blue, Blood). Anyway, all 3 permissions were either part of, or backed onto the big hill, so all relatively close together. First one was the furthest away (other side of the big hill). Walked the permission with nothing seen, ran the caller for 45 minutes with nothing seen, but wind was very strong on this side so didn't think the call was carrying well. Decided to make my way back to the yard. Halfway back to the farm I stopped at a gate that overlooked all of the lower section so put the bag down and just had a wait for 20 minutes or so. Just about to move on when I see a fox coming over the brow to my right. She was heading for the gate that was about 120 yards down the field, so got the scope on and waited for her. Just as she came through the gate she stops for a sit down and a bit of a scratch - saves me having to stop her. Steady gate post made the ideal rest and down she goes.

39911631692_4de377629f_c.jpg

Ran the caller close to the yard but nothing else seen on this permission, so got the gear in the vehicle and drove the couple of miles to the quarry on the other side of the hill. Similar story to the first cover - nothing coming to the caller so again had a sit down and wait to see if anything shows up, and again after half an hour a fox comes through the fence by the large conifer wood on my right and heads to a small patch of cover in the middle that holds s decent rabbit warren. She was too far for a sure shot (given the wind) as she came into the cover, but could see her working it down through the thermal so got the scope on and waited for her to work her way to the bottom which would put her about 150 yards away when she should present  a clean shot. After a few minutes she reaches the bottom of the cover and pops through the fence, had to stop her with a shout but given I was off the gun's bipod again had no problem picking my spot and hitting the mark. Vixen number two for the night.

39233480204_337a3b6ff5_c.jpg

Wasn't planning on climbing the big hill, wind was a bit too strong, but thought I'd just have a quick check of the fields around the farm at its foot. Walked along the track that leads past the farm, scanning left and right - nothing seen. Get to the far end before the climb to the hill starts, got the caller set up, ran for half an hour - nothing about. Decided to make my way back to the vehicle and call it a night, but as I got back to the last 2 fields before the car, again I spot a fox coming through the gorse about 180 yards up the hill. Opened the bipod and quickly got the gun on the wall and picked her up straight away heading right. Another shout to get her attention and vixen number 3 was down and out.

28164198809_1da8918682_c.jpg

Happy with 3 for the night but a bit concerned about the numbers still coming to the gun from the big hill set of permissions. Lambing is just around the corner and I've already taken 53 foxes from the permissions on the big hill since August. Need them to stamp their territories out now and stick to them.

Edited by racing snake

Nice work Stu, hopefully you will stem the flow before lambing! It’s pretty quiet on the fox front here but the fields are pretty waterlogged & so I imagine food must be being found in drier areas. I’m off out in a bit to see if anything is about at last night given the brightness of the moon the last couple of nights. No need for NV on Wednesday this week then! 

Finally got the elusive bait nabbing tree fox from my garden.

20180128_201842_1.jpg

I bagged a Roe last week and that had a busted foot like your fox Hammo. A good one to take.

20180123_103826_1.jpg

Live update :)

Another from the garden. 1st at 2030 second at 2130. Roll on 2230.

20180128_213550_1.jpg

Edited by oowee

Brilliant work everybody , a few foxes moving and getting bagged :good:

I had a great day last Friday , went stalking before going lamping and bagged this young doe.

leg8PQ9.jpg

Out with the lamp and had this dog fox come to the dog fox mating call , he ran off and jumped on top of a drystone wall . Dropped him off top of the wall at 200 yds (safe shot )

ov5ijRG.jpg

Next stand I called a vixen and a dog , shot the vixen and had a shot at the dog off the top of a wall again , thought I had missed as saw another fox in field behind which I dropped at 240 yds . Turns out when I rang farmer next day he found the fox at back of the wall , so shot 3 from this stand.

2 vixens .........

MmbiA9s.jpg

Next stand I shot a dog and vixen , making 6 out of 6 for the night ...

r5vM6df.jpg

Out last night again with my mate and his son , my mate had this dog fox which screamed in.

OJo5Dhw.jpg

Its been a fruitful week :yes:

Edited by FOXHUNTER1