Fox club

WelshMike

Right...is this a joke? Reference to a tree and a hedge....think somebody is having a laugh....at mine and Dougys expense. Think your man crush on Ed has addled your brain :lol::lol::lol:

after reading about you shooting foxes out of a tree i new you had to be right {who could not trust a man with a handbag :hmm:} so i made grant walk through the trees with the night vision spotting while i squeeked this one down from a nice walnut tree. i was chuffed to bits to of shot it as i have called and shot them in many different places but not seen them running out of trees. Mike i am not taking the **** :hmm::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

after reading about you shooting foxes out of a tree i new you had to be right {who could not trust a man with a handbag :hmm:} so i made grant walk through the trees with the night vision spotting while i squeeked this one down from a nice walnut tree. i was chuffed to bits to of shot it as i have called and shot them in many different places but not seen them running out of trees. Mike i am not taking the **** :hmm::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Love it

I spoke to a mate of mine about foxes up trees and he was telling me that one of the quarries he used to work at they often saw foxes up trees during daylight hours. I am glad other people are seeing them as well as I seriously thought I was in need of a visit to the Dr for a psych assessment. Well done

After what seems like an age I finally managed to get out tonight for a couple of hours. Work and weather has been conspiring (again) but when the rain clouds lifted this afternoon I thought tonight would be my chance. Short trip up to one of my local permissions; I've had big numbers from here this year so all I'm getting now is the odd one coming in. Got set up at the end of the big field and just sat and waited, no caller . . just sit and wait. Didn't have to wait long either, after about 45 minutes I see a fox come through the tree line on my right, started towards me but then veered off across me. About 150 yards away I gave it a squeak and she stops, turns and looks straight at me. Couldn't decide whether she was going to come towards or head away, so put the cross-hair between her eyes and let one go. Tidy little vixen, not carrying cubs.

33212002550_c9b57336ec_c.jpg

After what seems like an age I finally managed to get out tonight for a couple of hours. Work and weather has been conspiring (again) but when the rain clouds lifted this afternoon I thought tonight would be my chance. Short trip up to one of my local permissions; I've had big numbers from here this year so all I'm getting now is the odd one coming in. Got set up at the end of the big field and just sat and waited, no caller . . just sit and wait. Didn't have to wait long either, after about 45 minutes I see a fox come through the tree line on my right, started towards me but then veered off across me. About 150 yards away I gave it a squeak and she stops, turns and looks straight at me. Couldn't decide whether she was going to come towards or head away, so put the cross-hair between her eyes and let one go. Tidy little vixen, not carrying cubs.

Good shooting mate

Good to get out again i bet

Well done mate, another tidy result :good:

Nice one RS. A profitable stake out :good:. Hard to determine. I have a deer carcass On my bait tree but nothing for a week or so. I put up a jackdaw yesterday and its gone today, so hard to predict.

I have a couple to follow with a video :).

Have you got the new rifle yet buddy?

Out last night with Edd (bumpy 22) to look over some of his perms. Took a while to get mobilized so never went out till 2100 but rain had stopped so all was good. We had additional company last night by a local golf pro in his golfing shoes. It would be so wet :lol: without wellies.

First to one of the back hills and despite making a racket to get out the truck and into the field there was one on the side of the hill at about 350m. Working round the field saw the distance reduced to about 250m but he wasn't playing ball and soon disappeared into the hedge line.

Off to trusty farm number two spotted one out at 150m not shootable. Called it in from far side of field straight in under the bank we were standing on and the barren vixen was dropped at about 40m. All within 20min of getting out of the truck. Video is taken by golf pro not so great but you may find Edd's hand calling interesting.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/oowee2/th_IMG_2997_zpspdpvi9lx.mp4

IMG_10441_zpsof1ekwiz.jpg

Off next to far side of farm and spotted one running with the sheep. Started to call and in it came but a passing car on the road meant we had to stop for a moment and wait for it to pass. Light back on and it was gone. We think it probably carried on in whilst we waited for the car and then got to where we were standing and then off?

Back to the field we started at and spotted another at the far side. It started to come in to the calls but was reluctant to come over far enough to shoot. It was in range but the back drop was not great. We went down the track to our left and climbed the gate. It was so noisy I was pretty sure if the fox was at all switched on it would be gone. carried on around the field changing the angle to improve the back drop. Light back on and amazingly it was still there and dropped at about 80m. A good night out.

IMG_10451_zps2gxgetq6.jpg

Out last night with Edd (bumpy 22) to look over some of his perms. Took a while to get mobilized so never went out till 2100 but rain had stopped so all was good. We had additional company last night by a local golf pro in his golfing shoes. It would be so wet :lol: without wellies.

First to one of the back hills and despite making a racket to get out the truck and into the field there was one on the side of the hill at about 350m. Working round the field saw the distance reduced to about 250m but he wasn't playing ball and soon disappeared into the hedge line.

Off to trusty farm number two spotted one out at 150m not shootable. Called it in from far side of field straight in under the bank we were standing on and the barren vixen was dropped at about 40m. All within 20min of getting out of the truck. Video is taken by golf pro not so great but you may find Edd's hand calling interesting.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/oowee2/th_IMG_2997_zpspdpvi9lx.mp4

IMG_10441_zpsof1ekwiz.jpg

Off next to far side of farm and spotted one running with the sheep. Started to call and in it came but a passing car on the road meant we had to stop for a moment and wait for it to pass. Light back on and it was gone. We think it probably carried on in whilst we waited for the car and then got to where we were standing and then off?

Back to the field we started at and spotted another at the far side. It started to come in to the calls but was reluctant to come over far enough to shoot. It was in range but the back drop was not great. We went down the track to our left and climbed the gate. It was so noisy I was pretty sure if the fox was at all switched on it would be gone. carried on around the field changing the angle to improve the back drop. Light back on and amazingly it was still there and dropped at about 80m. A good night out.

IMG_10451_zps2gxgetq6.jpg

Good shooting, rubbish pics. A man of your calibre should surely be able to use a camera? Obviously not :lol::lol:

Edited by WelshMike

Nice shot RS .....bet you were glad to get out , nowt worse when the cabin fever starts to creep in.

Thanks gents, yes it was good to get, and thankfully I'm out again tonight! :yahoo:

Nice work again Grant and Ed. Think Mike might have a point about maybe trading the Box Brownie in for something a little more 20th century. :lol: Top shooting those gents.

to be fair i think the pictures of these foxes are getting worse. I think Grant needs to invest in a new camera not rifle :no::lol: . he is in charge of photography because when i am foxing i cannot concentrate on more than one thing :lol:

Back out last night to do a few final checks on a few bits of ground. Where I can I tend to try and leave the foxes alone this time of year unless they are causing issues. I prefer to avoid orphaning cubs if I can but on farms where there are issues or chickens I will shoot foxes all year round.

Over to farm one but the farmer asked if I could leave the ground alone for a bit as they have loads of twins just turned out so dont want them disturbed which is fair enough.

Headed over to another bit of ground where there are a few foxes (I have been up there 5 times and always seen foxes and mostly shot them as well). Nice walk to the top of the ground but it was blowing a gale so the caller was a bit of a waste of time. As I was leaving I spotted a flash of eyes below me. The bank if pretty steep so I had to move a couple of times to get the fox in the scope. Gave a quick squeak to stop him whilst I adjusted the IR, and he was sat about 100 yards away wondering where the noise was coming from. .243 barked and down he went, nice and simple. Lovely dog fox and the 5 th on this ground in about 4 weeks.

Drew a blank on the next 2 farms but another successful night.

Dog%20fox%2023.03.2017_zpsbjvwhuux.jpg

Nice work again Mike, he's in good nick. I'm the same regarding dependent cubs, not had a milky vixen as yet but I'm sure it would only be a matter of time. I'm going to venture out on Saturday night, a bit of ratting with the air rifle then probably the last hurrah after the foxes until August/September unless one's causing mischief somewhere.

Back out last night to do a few final checks on a few bits of ground. Where I can I tend to try and leave the foxes alone this time of year unless they are causing issues. I prefer to avoid orphaning cubs if I can but on farms where there are issues or chickens I will shoot foxes all year round.

Over to farm one but the farmer asked if I could leave the ground alone for a bit as they have loads of twins just turned out so dont want them disturbed which is fair enough.

Headed over to another bit of ground where there are a few foxes (I have been up there 5 times and always seen foxes and mostly shot them as well). Nice walk to the top of the ground but it was blowing a gale so the caller was a bit of a waste of time. As I was leaving I spotted a flash of eyes below me. The bank if pretty steep so I had to move a couple of times to get the fox in the scope. Gave a quick squeak to stop him whilst I adjusted the IR, and he was sat about 100 yards away wondering where the noise was coming from. .243 barked and down he went, nice and simple. Lovely dog fox and the 5 th on this ground in about 4 weeks.

Drew a blank on the next 2 farms but another successful night.

Dog%20fox%2023.03.2017_zpsbjvwhuux.jpg

good work mike. you must be on good numbers already out again later three more patches to do

Nice fox Mike.

My new rifle will be here Wednesday :) minus the jeweled bolt :unhappy: . I could wait longer but there is some doubt that it will come as apparently Mauser are stopping doing it to order.

I have waited 4 months for it and want to get it for when the Bucks come in. Pictures to follow :)

another one last night with the lamp and 243 that had been causing problems taking ducks and chickens on a smallholding.

Then a walk around the woods this morning about 11 oclock where the owners had seen a fox near there bantams all week. took about a minute of hand calling to see it come in to all of about ten feet of me and the shotgun did the rest. good 24hrs to get rid of 2 problem foxes. no pictures as i did not have my cameraman with me and i would not have the slightest idea how to put them up lol

The sheep are back in the fields next to my house and the foxes are back in force. Spotted a couple the other night and three last night. Bagged this one at 150m not bad for the little rifle.

Interesting that they are not interested in the deer carcass on the bait tree. Anything else and its gone in a flash.

IMG_10461_zpstmngpcog.jpg

Tidy work Ed, Grant. Weird they aren't interested in the deer carcass though Grant. :hmm:

So the plan was to do a bit of ratting and perhaps an hour or two after a fox tonight. Pulled up at the yard before dark and just checked the zero on the air rifle - all good to go. Was making some inroads into the rat numbers when I had a causal scan at the fields to see if there was any foxes about. Saw something in the thermal but thought it was probably a badger, gave it a quick squeak to see how it reacted when all of a sudden a fox appears about twenty yards away from behind a small hill. ******! Dashed back to the car and got the rifle set up, when I got back there was no sign of him. Grabbed the caller out of the bag and gave distressed rabbit a quick blast but no sign of him. Decided to move up to the next field and get set up properly. Put the caller out 100 yards and gave snowshoe a few blasts; over the hill he appears and comes straight to the caller. Just had time to get it on mute and get the scope on, he was a nice distance about ten yards up from the caller when I put one through the front of the chest. A decent size fella too.

A few rats to boot.

33520573691_33315abccb_c.jpg

33609310616_1570aa484c_c.jpg

Went out Friday and forgot my caller,not a major problem just an inconvenience. I actually took a bit of bait out with me in the form of a pheasant that the Mrs had attached to the front grill of her new Mokka,and few bits of trim out of the freezer, bones ect. I also put in the little plastic bucket a bottle of squash, that I normally put in the motor. And yes I chucked that out with the bait too. So i just had a recce, watching the odd badger and possibly a Muntjac pottering around in the woods.

So last night was a little more productive, and I left my drink in the motor this time.

This Dog Fox was spotted trotting along the top of a bank, then came in towards the caller. Gave a little squeak and gave it a little prezzie.

post-2987-0-05355500-1490523112_thumb.jpg

A good fun night there RS. I thought for a minute the air rifle was going to come into play. We hear lots of strange shootings re trees and hedges and I thought that was going to be one of them.

Dougy. Thanks for that recipe. I have been gathering all the things i need, Burger press, separators, mincer and burger mix. Tried my first batch today and they are yummy. Did not try the red wine on the first lot but they are great even without.

http://www.scobiesdirect.com/ItemInfo.asp?ItemDesc=Venison+%26+Juniper+Burger&ItemNo=SE31125

I swap the water with Red wine, you can add things like Garlic and Chilli to add a little kick. You must add about 10% fatty pork like belly or they will be as dry as toast.

Dougy a productive night too. :good:

Edited by oowee

The sheep are back in the fields next to my house and the foxes are back in force. Spotted a couple the other night and three last night. Bagged this one at 150m not bad for the little rifle.

Interesting that they are not interested in the deer carcass on the bait tree. Anything else and its gone in a flash.

IMG_10461_zpstmngpcog.jpg

Well done mate. Good range for the girly rifle. God help them when the .243 gets zeroed :good:

another one last night with the lamp and 243 that had been causing problems taking ducks and chickens on a smallholding.

Then a walk around the woods this morning about 11 oclock where the owners had seen a fox near there bantams all week. took about a minute of hand calling to see it come in to all of about ten feet of me and the shotgun did the rest. good 24hrs to get rid of 2 problem foxes. no pictures as i did not have my cameraman with me and i would not have the slightest idea how to put them up lol

Well done Ed. Your shooting is what counts not the camera skills. To be fair your camera man isnt the best at times :lol:

Tidy work Ed, Grant. Weird they aren't interested in the deer carcass though Grant. :hmm:

So the plan was to do a bit of ratting and perhaps an hour or two after a fox tonight. Pulled up at the yard before dark and just checked the zero on the air rifle - all good to go. Was making some inroads into the rat numbers when I had a causal scan at the fields to see if there was any foxes about. Saw something in the thermal but thought it was probably a badger, gave it a quick squeak to see how it reacted when all of a sudden a fox appears about twenty yards away from behind a small hill. ******! Dashed back to the car and got the rifle set up, when I got back there was no sign of him. Grabbed the caller out of the bag and gave distressed rabbit a quick blast but no sign of him. Decided to move up to the next field and get set up properly. Put the caller out 100 yards and gave snowshoe a few blasts; over the hill he appears and comes straight to the caller. Just had time to get it on mute and get the scope on, he was a nice distance about ten yards up from the caller when I put one through the front of the chest. A decent size fella too.

A few rats to boot.

33520573691_33315abccb_c.jpg

33609310616_1570aa484c_c.jpg

Well done mate, another good nights work :good:

Went out Friday and forgot my caller,not a major problem just an inconvenience. I actually took a bit of bait out with me in the form of a pheasant that the Mrs had attached to the front grill of her new Mokka,and few bits of trim out of the freezer, bones ect. I also put in the little plastic bucket a bottle of squash, that I normally put in the motor. And yes I chucked that out with the bait too. So i just had a recce, watching the odd badger and possibly a Muntjac pottering around in the woods.

So last night was a little more productive, and I left my drink in the motor this time.

This Dog Fox was spotted trotting along the top of a bank, then came in towards the caller. Gave a little squeak and gave it a little prezzie.

Good result there mate. Not sure the fox liked the pressie but did the job nicely :yes:

Edited by WelshMike

Nice work again Mike, he's in good nick. I'm the same regarding dependent cubs, not had a milky vixen as yet but I'm sure it would only be a matter of time. I'm going to venture out on Saturday night, a bit of ratting with the air rifle then probably the last hurrah after the foxes until August/September unless one's causing mischief somewhere.

Cheers mate. I have 4 farms to cover tonight. Between the lambs and chickens any fox is a menace and gets shot regardless of the time of year due to the losses they inflict in a single night. I cant risk leaving them as I have been caught out in the past and then had an angry farmer on the phone and dead chickens all over the field. I am being very restrained and leaving one farm alone that has a good number of foxes on the ground. Lots of sheep but they are not lambing there so the foxes wont cause any problems. Come July when they cut the silage (single cut so late on in the year) I will start getting out as the cubs will be old enough to fend for themselves.