Outboard motor question

walshie

I've got a pull-start outboard on the back of my boat. Before it will start, you have to flick a little on-off switch on the dash. Now this doesn't seem to go via a battery, so I don't really know what it can be for.

I tried to change the switch today for a better waterproof one, and once I'd got the miles of tape off the connection, it has 3 wires going into 3 separate pins, but the actual switch is only 2 way, not 3. :hmm:

Can someone please explain in very short words what's going on there?

Ta.

None of this means anything to me. The engine is a twin cylinder 2-stroke.

The switch has only 2 positions, up or down. the back of the switch has 3 connectors and there are 3 separate wires connected to these.

The wire wends it way round the boat and into the outboard. Other than that, i know nothing. :blush:

Sounds like it will short out each coil when closed. Probably has one coil per cylinder.

David.

That's what I thought, but surely it would have to be a double pole switch with a link wire across two terminals? If you had two coils connected together by the earth wire at switch it would effectively earth the coils out when it was supposed to be in "run" , yes, no?

Walshie, do two wires join at the switch? If not, how many terminals on the switch?

Ah, just re-read the post, three terminals, two from coils and one to earth possibly? Is there such a switch that bridges two separate terminals but leaves them open when "on". Mind you, this is OMC, a vast company so a special switch would be nothing to them, except more money when selling them :lol:

Edited by rodp