Carts for Foxes????

If your not sure of how your gun will pattern with BB,s, before you encounter a fox, get a couple of 5 ltr oil cans, imagine these to be the size of the engine room........

A foxes vitals side on will be no more than 4" x 4" and nothing like a 5 ltr oil can !!!!!!!!

No one said they were did they?:good:?

The advice was given to see if he could even get the centre of the pattern into a 5ltr oil can which at 40yds is small enough if you are inexperienced.

Having been on a great many organised fox drives I know from experience the level of shooting with a SG that is required.

I do love these guys that jump on the keyboard and have a go for no real purpose, other than to be argumentative and nit picking :/

:good: D2D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be fine, be patient and make sure you are 30yards away and use BB's or 1's at that range you are using one of the most lethal weapons available and it won't know what hit it. I've shot plenty with 32g 6's not ideal but on driven game days you just don't get chance to swap cartridges, and keepers tend to get the hump if you don't shoot them. Touch wood I've never injured one but then I've always shot them close.

I'd steer away from SSG's my experience of them is they can ricochet off trees etc which is a bit unpleasant to say the least

If your not sure of how your gun will pattern with BB,s, before you encounter a fox, get a couple of 5 ltr oil cans, imagine these to be the size of the engine room........

A foxes vitals side on will be no more than 4" x 4" and nothing like a 5 ltr oil can !!!!!!!!

No one said they were did they?:good:?

The advice was given to see if he could even get the centre of the pattern into a 5ltr oil can which at 40yds is small enough if you are inexperienced.

Having been on a great many organised fox drives I know from experience the level of shooting with a SG that is required.

I do love these guys that jump on the keyboard and have a go for no real purpose, other than to be argumentative and nit picking :/

I think you did......

If you need to pattern a shotgun you will need a piece of paper/pattern plate around 5 feet x 5 feet to get a true representation of the pattern and how central it is.

No one said they were did they?B)?

I think you did......

If you need to pattern a shotgun you will need a piece of paper/pattern plate around 5 feet x 5 feet to get a true representation of the pattern and how central it is.

Still nitpicking, :lol: you need to chill and count to 10 before posting, we are all big boys and dont need unconstructive comments, my advice was simply to see if he could place the shot in the right spot at a reasonable range to humanely despatch a fox and it matters not a toss whether its a bean can, an oil can or a barn door!

End of.........

:lol: D2D

I'll come down and shoot it for you, i would be quite happy to have a good night out lamping - failing that do as most on here advise and go buy some BB's, shoot him/her from no more than 30yds straight up front in the chest/ head, it wont matter which ( theres an old saying - shoot the head and the rest dies soon after)- i've been shoting foxes for years with both rifle and shotgun ( father was a game keeper for over 30 years) and i find a decent head or engine room shot will bring em down, even if the do run on for a few yrds - we got 1 the other week with a perfect shot in the engine room from 50yrds with a 243 and it ran on for another 200yrds (it just hadn't realised it was dead yet :lol: )!!!!!.

Good luck with your new permission and hope you get that damn fox. ( farmer will love you to bits and should have no problem in signing to let you use firearm on his land.)

Cheers Paul :good:

First thing I'll say is that I'm not starting a knit collection so I won't be picking any of you lots from you, OK? :lol:

Second thing I'll say is that Henry is correct in what he says about the foxes vitals and the patterning plate/board/sheet.

If you're to shoot at something like an oil can and miss, tell me, where have your pellets gone? Such a target doesn't make you any the wiser as the ground /backstop will soak them up and tell you nothing much. A higher concentration of pellets could be going elsewhere.

A proper pattern plate/board/sheet will tell you if your gun & load combination shoots most of the pellets a bit high/low/left/right at which ever range you decide to shoot at. A shot plate with BB's and one with 6's will look very different, there just aren't as many BB's so these things are important.

Like I say to my shooting buddy about rifles, but it applies here, it's kinda handy to know where that shot's going to go :good:

(This isn't meant to be an argumentative post).

First thing I'll say is that I'm not starting a knit collection so I won't be picking any of you lots from you, OK? B)

Second thing I'll say is that Henry is correct in what he says about the foxes vitals and the patterning plate/board/sheet.

If you're to shoot at something like an oil can and miss, tell me, where have your pellets gone? Such a target doesn't make you any the wiser as the ground /backstop will soak them up and tell you nothing much. A higher concentration of pellets could be going elsewhere.

A proper pattern plate/board/sheet will tell you if your gun & load combination shoots most of the pellets a bit high/low/left/right at which ever range you decide to shoot at. A shot plate with BB's and one with 6's will look very different, there just aren't as many BB's so these things are important.

Like I say to my shooting buddy about rifles, but it applies here, it's kinda handy to know where that shot's going to go :good:

(This isn't meant to be an argumentative post).

Very fair comment and the non atagonistic approach is appreciated, all I was trying to get across was that if he couln,t hit a specific target hard then he should get more practice in before going after the fox.

the comment about hitting a fox and it running on is also good, have seen that many times, once saw a fox run down a line of guns and only dropping because it was weighed down with shot :lol:

:lol: D2D

I can see both sides of this arguement and agree with both of you. A foxes vitals are not the size of an oil can as HD has rightly said, but what shotgun do you have that will throw a tighter pattern than the size of an oil can at 40 yards? If you can hit an oil can with a good and heavy dose of pellets, that can is about the same size as the front end of a fox. So if you can pepper an oil can, the fox will die at that range :good:

:yahoo: Been on the farm tonight, saw:pheasants, heard partridges, saw crows, pigeons and bunnys. Mr fox came along the tree line at about 75 yards out, i tried a lip squeek or two and it started to come towards me but a bloody crow took off above me and spooked it i waited but it never came back. It was in the feild right next to the lambs!!

I am going to stash up near the hole where it came in tomorrow and plonk an dead rabbit or crow nearby and wait.

the farmer said feel free to shoot some bait :good:

:good: i have 45g 3" no 5, kick like a bloody mule :lol:

i am also picking up some 2 3/4 sgs to fit my auto so i have 3 very fast shots if i need them.

Unless I am reading you wrongly you may have missed the point, 45g of no5 is still not an approved fox load unless you want to stop it running away due to sheer weight of shot B)

Use BB,s and you wont go far wrong and your semi due to its action should be soaking up most of the recoil, maybe you are not mounting the gun into your shoulder properly?

;) D2D

What is an approved load for a fox, I have seen several foxes shot on game days with normal game loads. It is all very well to say you keep a couple of BB's in your pocket but how often do you get the chance to change?

Any well placed shot at a decent range will kill. Which is what shooting is all about.

What is an approved load for a fox, I have seen several foxes shot on game days with normal game loads. It is all very well to say you keep a couple of BB's in your pocket but how often do you get the chance to change?

Any well placed shot at a decent range will kill. Which is what shooting is all about.

As long as you dont have to (apparently) beat it to death with a stick.......

If you are shooting birds with a gameload then stick to that, but on an organised foxdrive a far heavier load would be appropriate, the Ely diary is a good source of guidance to shot sizes penetration etc and matches loads with quarry it also makes a nice inexpensive xmas pressie from the kids.

I agree I know the farmer I shoot for will shoot a fox on sight with a game load if thats whats in the gun but he also uses bb's for organised fox drives. I think BB's where possible (e.g. organised fox drives) or game loads for the opitistic fox within a sensible range.

:good:

Use BB,s and you wont go far wrong and your semi due to its action should be soaking up most of the recoil, maybe you are not mounting the gun into your shoulder properly?

The auto doesnt take 3" magnums, they kick as they are in my o/u.

No.5 is not much good over 25m

The guy that gave me the 3" no5's says he has taken foxes at up to 50 yards with them, i have paced its route from where I intend to wait for it and its 35yards.

I am going to get some bb's tomorrow. But If I see it tonight its 2x 45g no5 3" magnums that its going to get!!!!

It does actually say long range goose shot on the carts! ;)

" The guy that gave me the 3" no5's says he has taken foxes at up to 50 yards with them, i have paced its route from where I intend to wait for it and its 35yards. "

what people tell you and what actually transpires can be 2 different things.

Those carts are not suitable to set out after a fox with..yes they will kill a fox if you have them in your gun and 1 shows at 20yds or so.

It,s all about respect for your quarry...whatever your feelings towards it are!!

You would be better off getting some no 1,s....2 ,s or BB,s first as these will flatten it which brutal as it sounds ,it,s what your aiming for.

Good luck nailing it what ever you decide though...

GH

;)

what people tell you and what actually transpires can be 2 different things.

yeah, youre right!!! I did think that but the guy is a brilliant shot and not one for telling porkies usually.

I am going to get some bbs in the morning anyway, i would prefer to use my auto, the 45g in the betinsoli is like being punched in the shoulder!.

I am all for doing it right, thats why i started this thread. :good:

this is a fascinating thread....it has everything.....good advice......smart **** comments.....high horseness.... learning possiblities.....funny posts...miss the point postings....and as said most miss the point and go off on a tangent.....I read it as I" i would like some info but I would not shoot unless I was very certain of a kill". All this about patterns, loads, oil cans etc are interesting......I find chucking a half house brick from 3 yards the best load of all.

DFB

:good: