My bench

Alpha Mule

Buze: where does your rifle go?

;0)))

Should have said it's a shooting bench.

Dissembles back to a 'flat pack' in a few seconds to be transported to,,, well anywhere. It can be built correy ducket for lefties too, with no alterations to the build.

I haven't tested it with a rifle yet, but I'll update when I do.

Oh very funny (JohnPhilip) :lol:

I reckon I need to do some alterations to get it all snug and then I'll cut some holes to lighten it (as suggested in the plans).

Mrs is quite chuffed with it too, it kept me out of her hair for a whole day.

Wickes had an 8x4 sheet, but wouldn't cut it in half so I could get it in the car, on H&S reasons. Neither would they loan me a saw, for the same reasons.

B&Q don't stock it (in Bridgend) as it takes up too much space ("But we have plenty 2x4, why not just get some of those?").

Local builders merchant have it and provided a yoof with a saw. Poor lad only got half way through before he ran out of steam. Even with a jiggered elbow I was quicker. And it was about 2/3 of the price of the others.

I also got to play with my reasonably new jigsaw - bonus!

It will need some weather protection - I wonder if I can camo it in Cuprinal,,,, :hmm:

Edited by Alpha Mule

If you cutting holes with one of those bits that go in a drill i would put pilots holes right through for every hole your going to make with the hole cutter , then work from both sides with the hole this will stop you getting tear out in the plywood .

Ply tends to soak up loads of paint or varnish, if painting just use up what ever old paint you have first till it won't sink in any more.

Where did you find the plans please?

David.

Here

There are two details missing from the plans. The inner top of the rear back support is 4".

The centre point where the large radius caused me some fun - I ended up drawing it on paper to figure where I wanted it.

Edited by Alpha Mule

JP, The hole cutter I have made a right mess of the first one I tried. I ended up using the jigsaw to cut a larger one.

I'm using rough and medium blades, which are not really great for cuttin curves. I'll see if I can get some fine ones tomorrow.

As the sun was shining and I was getting fed up with my lack of success with the bench, I went out to knock on the door of the farm next to the I was on the other night. Spoke to th eson, who will speak to dad. I'll call the dad tomorrow to see if I can get out there.

And there was me thinking my week off on leave would be quiet.

Very nice

Great to see bit of diy

If your painting it mix primer with white spirit 50/50 for your first coat it'll save a lot of paint long term 😊

As for the holes to lighten it pilot hole and try a fine tooth metal blade may help with your splitting problem

Thanks for posting

All the best

Of

• 2 weeks later...

And I've cut more holes and painted on some shed protection.

The colour is described as 'Medium Oak' - I reckon it's more 'Light Tan Poo'
However, It was built so I can play with zeroing and I'm breaking into self loading and need something I can sit on rather than laying down, getting up, re-cycling (3 slipped disks complain about that sort of thing), not really as a 'low-seat' (although that has merit!)

I give you, the rough and ready (not even sanded down), Alpha Mule Mk1 shooting bench (stolen from some other guys idea, on the Internet)

post-14972-0-46318700-1470590743_thumb.jpg