Open Border With Republic of Ireland

NickS

Re May's announcement today: How does this fit with "controlling our own borders" after we leave the EU? Anyone from another EU country can travel quite legally to the Republic and then cross into NI. I realise why it was done but how do people view it?

There are going to be a lot more Irish citizens from the North and the South travelling up and down than there are immigrants or tourists. A hard border would only lead to more division and would inevitably have a detrimental effect on trade and jobs between the North and the South. English, Welsh and Scottish people would find themselves having to pay a premium for certain food stuffs and other Irish exports.

As for EU members crossing into the uk, don't forget that a considerable percentage of the population in the North of Ireland possess Irish passports. This effectively makes the North of Ireland a place where European citizens can freely reside, whilst still technically being part of the uk.

Even before the referendum, David Cameron was suggesting putting passport control at all Irish Sea and airports (North and South) for people travelling to GB. Hard border controls here don't work. History proves it. There is just too much commercial interdependence as well as the cultural and personal links. It would also rekindle the multi - million pound smuggling enterprises that both governments have been working hard to stop.

That would put UK passport holders in N. Ireland in the tricky situation of having to show passports to enter other parts of the UK. But I'm old enough having to do that during the Troubles, for air travel at least.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think anyone wants to see anything that destabilises the situation. RoI citizens are treated pretty much as UK subjects when it comes to voting and, as you say, the current arrangements predate the EU. The only difference that I can see is that non-RoI people will have an easier entry to the UK than they would by arriving at Dover but that then assumes that NI is their destination if there are to be checks on travel between NI and mainland UK.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think anyone wants to see anything that destabilises the situation. RoI citizens are treated pretty much as UK subjects when it comes to voting and, as you say, the current arrangements predate the EU. The only difference that I can see is that non-RoI people will have an easier entry to the UK than they would by arriving at Dover but that then assumes that NI is their destination if there are to be checks on travel between NI and mainland UK.

That has always been the case though and there's never been any rush to board ferries or airplanes to the rest of the UK from illegal immigrants. It is pretty contained because where would they go in NI? It has good internal security arrangements and there are controls at all ferry and air ports. It's a non issue except to the EU. Britain has had a CTA (common travel agreement) in place with Ireland in principle since 1925, and in the mid 1950s this was strengthened with the additional requirement for Ireland to mirror Uk entry controls/criteria in order for the CTA to continue, hence non nationals and non EU citizens will require entry visas or be turned away. EU citizens post brexit will possibly have easier access to NI as that is the price of continuing the CTA but it doesn't mean any easier entry to the rest of the UK. The reality is that there isn't any reality of employment of benefits to EU nationals within NI so the end result is that it becomes a free entry tourism access, something which could benefit NIreland. The finer details have not been looked at in detail, but it's no opportunity for increased illegal immigration.

Going back a few years now (10ish) but i had a few kiwi back packer mates that had stayed well over there working visa's and when they wanted to travel to europe they had to travel up to scotland to get the ferry over to belfast and then fly/travel from Dublin. They sometimes chanced it across from holyhead but morer change of getting stopped and checked.

They were mainly working in London when over there visa, all decent tradesmen holding down some decent jobs at times

There is an interesting point in the Times today. Whilst the UK and RoI governments may wish to keep the border open, the EU will view it as their external border and not allow this. What effects could this have on life in both communities and possibly on the peace process?

There is an interesting point in the Times today. Whilst the UK and RoI governments may wish to keep the border open, the EU will view it as their external border and not allow this. What effects could this have on life in both communities and possibly on the peace process?

Such a ruling might be enough to spark calls for a referendum on EU membership. The Irish are already asking for one about TTIP.

Given how much EU cash has gone to Ireland, it would be pretty daft for them to vote to leave - but then Wales and Cornwall also voted to leave so I guess it isn't all about money. The RoI net nearly €1bn a year so it isn't small change.